Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which brand of hook do you use for the majority of your river fishing?

Eagle Claw
Gamakatsu
Mustad
Owner
DNE
Other

Author Topic: Which Brand of Hook Do You Use?  (Read 15525 times)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Which Brand of Hook Do You Use?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:09:23 PM »

I had a red #1 gammi that got bent in the mouth of a big spring. That's how he got away!

Ericd
Fighting springs is not like a car towing ;D. If it is, something gonna give, leader or the hook usually. How heavy leader do you use? I fish main 15lb with 12lb for springs.Gammi #1 as well.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

That doesn't make sense. If you land more fish now then you did before then your Hooked/Landed ratio would go down. I think you meant your Landed/Hooked ratio. :D

Lol yes your right, had that backwards. Bottom line I seem to be landing more fish  ;D

Fisherama

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »

Owner cutting point, usually 4s and 2s

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

I use the best. Gamakatsu, Owner, Kamatsu and Hayabusa. I just came back from visiting old Europe and stockpiled on hooks,fishing line(for leaders only) and floats. It is amazing how much better supplies they have in their fishing stores. I even purchased Gamakatsu and Owner fishing lines, and they are great :).
All of these hooks are chemically sharpened and as such hold the point well. However when dulled by contact with the bottom, they don't take well to sharpening. Resharpened hooks don't hold the edge well and I discard them after couple of touch ups. I use pretied at home leaders, so changing end terminal is a snap.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »

DNE cutting points are my favorite, super sticky sharp and I've never had them straighten or break fighting monster chinook.

Gamakatsu are super sharp but more suited to coho fishing. This season I had two different packs of gammies that would straighten out with every fish over 15lbs.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »

Gammi Reds,#4-1/0, with a quick touch of the file before it even hits the water.......always!!

I doubt you can get the gammies any sharper than out of the box.  Gammies don't take a file well either, any attempts i've made to sharpen a dull hook have resulted in an even duller hook.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »

Gamis are the only hook that I tie line to, and ALWAYS a few quick strokes of the file before they get wet. Any hook will take a file well if you know how to sharpen a hook correctly. I've had a #2 bend out on a steelhead pushing 20lbs and was a very hot fish. Also had a #2 break where the barb got pinched while landing a wild coho on the weekend, other than those two hooks I have never had a problem with them ranging from a #2 - 3/0 hooks. I prefer mustad siwash hooks over any others for hardware.

FishOn36

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »

Gamakatsu Red 1/0's have served me well this year, they stay sharp for quite a while and I haven't had one bend on a fish (only when trying to reef out the odd snag).

Gammies don't take a file well either, any attempts i've made to sharpen a dull hook have resulted in an even duller hook.

I've noticed the same thing, which is kinda disappointing cause Gamies aren't exactly cheap so I'd try and re-sharpen a few of em but all of my attempts have failed :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:03:57 PM by FishOn36 »

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »

gammys, never had one break or bend on me, however with that being said that will now happen on my next fish

tmilley

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »

I bent some hooks yesterday trying to catch big Springs, but it was obviously because I was foul hooking them and only the point was in.  If the hook is set properly there seems to be no way to bend it.

fishfinder

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »

Owner Cutting Point size 1 and 1/0.

. I just came back from visiting old Europe and stockpiled on hooks,fishing line(for leaders only) and floats. It is amazing how much better supplies they have in their fishing stores.

I agree the European stores are well stocked on everything. So are the Japanese stores. When I was in Paris years ago I couldn't believe a store had a 20 foot wall full of floats with different designs. I also bought a pile of Drennan floats in England before any the local stores carried them.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 06:01:34 AM »

I fished with strictly Eagle claw, up until they became harder to find and Freds tackle stopped selling. i tryed Mustad for abit, and a couple of the hooks has the tips break off at the barb, so I switched to Vision. Vision was horrible, the hook seemed to bend very easily, even had a steelhead almost straighten it out. Iv lately been using Owners and Gammys, no problems so far. I prefer size 2-4 for basically everything that comes out of the Vedder.

What the hell happened to eagle claw, I really liked them. Very strong, rigid hooks and inexpensive. ???
The Bigger The Better!

hotrod

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »

Red Gammies are too weak! almost never use them! The black gammies are the way to go for me! Strong and keep sharpness way longer than the red ones. All I have ever used!

hotrod
all rights reserved

andychan

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 07:12:16 AM »

I have had gammie #2 and #1 bend AND break on me (at the gap) with 10lb leader maxima.

And they were on springs. How big? No idea since they busted off. Were the fouled? I know for a fact 2 were not. The rest, likely.

That said - I have not found a sharper hook in that smaller size.

Now if you move up the size range to the larger 1/0 or 2/0 - then no worries but I find  I get far less hookups with larger hooks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »

I like how noone here has mentioned Vision hooks. I actually use these hooks in size 4 for tying MOAL leeches because i dont piss around with changing off the hook on these flies (very cheap and easy to tie)

I havent had any issues with them as of yet, they seem very strong because i havent had one straighten on a snag instead it always results in a lost fly  >:(

Just yet another option for you guys to consider.

HOOK - thinks about trying Sickle hooks for roe fishing  ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/