Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new record at senora lodge  (Read 9932 times)

cohojoe

Re: new record at senora lodge
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

I think the Tyee club in Campbell river has records of the tyee sizes since the beginning of their club.   It seems the average weight of the Tyees is going down in the past 70 years.   Same data the DFO has .     Is there any B.C. ocean lodge owners who can provide this board with some real data on their catch sizes since the 60s and 70s to  now in the  2000/s.     

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »

Say you bonk a 72 pound spring, and that's your fish for the season, at the same time, someone else bonks four 20 pound springs. Which has the possibility of producing more offspring?  food for thought  :-\

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »

Say you bonk a 72 pound spring, and that's your fish for the season, at the same time, someone else bonks four 20 pound springs. Which has the possibility of producing more offspring?  food for thought  :-\

Sorry, I'm full and don't need any of your food.  lol  ;)

The reality is that generally, of the anglers I've met, the guys that are bonking the 72 pound spring aren't the type that only want to take one fish per season.  They folks bonking the big fish are the ones that want to kill everything that comes to the boat.

Tex

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

I am a meat fisherman, but I am with Rodney and Tex on this one.
Not so much for reasons of piscine altruism, but for practical reasons.

A 72-pound chinook must be a byatch to clean, cut and dress. Besides, judging from my experience with the big springs I have killed in the past (45# being the largest), a 72-pound chinook can't possibly taste better than a smaller fish due to the sheer amount of fat it has stored. In addition, the bigger the fish, the higher its toxicity ratio.
Why would you want to feed your family a platter of toxins?

So, next time you catch that personal record breaking tyee, think it over. Let it go, and focus on those 12-25 pounders for the table.
Your body and the salmon run will thank you.

cohojoe

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »

just think if that guy caught and released that fish in the Langara fishing tournament.   He would not only be the hero of the year ;  he would get a wad of cash and maybe be invited back next year to the same tournament.    I can only dream of that.   

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »

I feel the same aabout halibut harvesting. Let the larger fish go,most are female and the smaller do taste better.  but, do we really know what we would do until we are faced with the situation? 

ShaunO

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »

After all these years of lurking this is going to be my first post.  I have to agree with Rodney's comments earlier in this thread.  There are valid arguments to both sides of the debate but really, a tyee of that size is nothing more than a trophy and not a freezer full of meat.  Buy a high end camera, snap a few pictures, measure and weigh them but let them go... alive! 

I'm very proud of my father in law.  Earlier this year he get into a big fish and let it go after getting a picture.  It takes a big man to NOT hit something so huge over the head.

For anyone who wants to see his fish, click here:

http://peregrinelodge.com/blog/2010/07/30/july-28-days-catch-report.html

Cheers,

ShaunO

Schenley

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »

It takes a big man to NOT hit something so huge over the head.

And if I may be so bold-- I think that is a hugh pile of ka-ka!  ;D

If someone chooses to release any legal fish.. that is totally a personal decision.  But to read the whining about the gene pool, they dont taste as good, you are not a big man if you dont release a monster, etc and all the other rationalizations ( most of which likely orginate from sheer envy) is just plain stupid--- Dont judge a person's legal actions until you have been in his shoes.........   Go fishing-- it more productive than this thread.... :P

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »

If someone chooses to release any legal fish.. that is totally a personal decision.  But to read the whining about the gene pool, they dont taste as good, you are not a big man if you dont release a monster, etc and all the other rationalizations ( most of which likely orginate from sheer envy) is just plain stupid--- Dont judge a person's legal actions until you have been in his shoes.........   Go fishing-- it more productive than this thread.... :P
Ditto to that  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »

After all these years of lurking this is going to be my first post.  I have to agree with Rodney's comments earlier in this thread.  There are valid arguments to both sides of the debate but really, a tyee of that size is nothing more than a trophy and not a freezer full of meat.  Buy a high end camera, snap a few pictures, measure and weigh them but let them go... alive! 

I'm very proud of my father in law.  Earlier this year he get into a big fish and let it go after getting a picture.  It takes a big man to NOT hit something so huge over the head.

For anyone who wants to see his fish, click here:

http://peregrinelodge.com/blog/2010/07/30/july-28-days-catch-report.html

Cheers,

ShaunO

When was that fish caught?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »

X3 A personal decision. No right or wrong.

ShaunO

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

And if I may be so bold-- I think that is a hugh pile of ka-ka!  Grin

If someone chooses to release any legal fish.. that is totally a personal decision.  But to read the whining about the gene pool, they dont taste as good, you are not a big man if you dont release a monster, etc and all the other rationalizations ( most of which likely orginate from sheer envy) is just plain stupid--- Dont judge a person's legal actions until you have been in his shoes.........   Go fishing-- it more productive than this thread....

Not always a personal decision.  A number of lodges have policies to release fish over a set weight/size. 

I don't think anyone is rationalizing their perspective on the matter.  Like I said earlier, there are valid arguments to both sides.  Not agreeing with an opinion doesn't give you the right to judge it as stupid.  I've got thicker skin than you know so don't worry about me.

And yes, I'd rather be fishing.  In fact I am leaving to catch high slack at Sand Heads right now so I can continue to fill my freezer.

azafai

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »

i know the guide ,top notch. here is a picture.
http://twitpic.com/2l8jdx

new record??

what about this one:

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »

new record??

what about this one:

ZZ Top still getting the women

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »

Will look great on buddies wall.I have a 30pd Tyee on my wall and it makes a great conversation pc when guests visit,they always want to know the story behind the fish.When im old and can no longer fish i will be able to look up on my walls and smile about the "THE GOOD OLD DAYS".Love the taxidermy!