Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Message to all Fraser River Anglers  (Read 27003 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Message to all Fraser River Anglers
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »

not a bad idea.We spnet all day yesterday collectiong line and crap from seabird to laidlaw, pipline was and  is so badly littered with new and old line we just made a fire and burned piles of it.Also found a poor dead bald eagle with no talons :P

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »

Leadbelly I hope you made a report to a C.O. abouit where you found the dead Bald eagle.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 09:25:03 AM »

I just happened to program the ORR and RAPP #s into my new phone before I left yesterday
figured I might see something fishy ;) did not expect that though.The CO said he was going to go check it out.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »

Good work as usual LB, looks like you may lose your market for betties. ;D ;D

O, I forgot you just cremated them and made bar weights with the remains. ;D ;D ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »

I think this weekend will be interesting in guaging the impact of the internet because I think most forums have been advocating non-bb'ing,
so my theory is that most who are bb'ing will not be internet fisherman.

ps...crazy avatar, eh? I found it on a US based fishing forum.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »

One of our guides just called, he has landed 3 springs this morning off of Peg Leg bar fishing from the boat. Get out there and enjoy the long weekend.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »

I think this weekend will be interesting in guaging the impact of the internet because I think most forums have been advocating non-bb'ing...

Don't be silly, the impact of the internet on fishing is only negative, never positive. ;D

ps...crazy avatar, eh? I found it on a US based fishing forum.

That's what I looked like two days ago when the first pink salmon was landed.

One of our guides just called, he has landed 3 springs this morning off of Peg Leg bar fishing from the boat. Get out there and enjoy the long weekend.

Excellent to see, and shouldn't be surprising with the result that the Albion test fishery has been producing.

SnakeRoll

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »

I hope everyone abide by the DFO request.

LOL

Don't wanna sound negative but .......

There are alot of people who care, but the fraser river fishery has become a meat fishery and most of those guys out there are for the meat and don't care if dfo has asked for selective fishing or not. Mark my words, most will be bottom bouncing in no time.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »

You may be right but there is always hope

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »

Because you might not think about it. See Bill's comments.

Please find attached the press notice from the Fraser Panel this date. Please take note of the extended seine and gillnet fisheries that have been approved for the U.S. waters. The head of the Canadian Panel had to agree to this.

You will note that they claim non-retention of Sockeye, a very sick joke in the gillnet fishery. They use at least 200 fathoms of net, monofilament generally, with 90 meshes deep and a two hour drift in the ocean.

They may not retain the Sockeye but it matters little as they all will be dead.

You will note that gillnets and seines are open until Monday Sept 3 in areas 6, 7 & 7A - Off Point Roberts adjacent to the mouth of the Fraser. In areas 4B, 5, and 6C gillnets have been extended until noon next Wednesday.

So not only does DFO continue to approve the killing of the Sockeye they claim to care so much about, but they allow major extensions on the commercial U.S. harvest of Pink Salmon while they continue to keep the recreational fishery in the Fraser River at 2 per day, "until they can get a run size". It seems they don't need run sizes for those very selective gillnets but this highly efficient "non selective", (by DFO definition) sport fishery that might, I mean MIGHT encounter 50 Sockeye over the next month, is restricted because I guess we are Canadian.

Bill Otway

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »

Hmmm...might explain in part  why the Pink salmon run in the Fraser has now been downgraded to only 10 million fish  ???.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »

Hmmm...might explain in part  why the Pink salmon run in the Fraser has now been downgraded to only 10 million fish  ???.

Something fishy going on in the marine phase of all returning species. All of the pink salmon that I have seen so far are much smaller in weight than previous runs. This is simply personal observations so not much can be concluded until all measurements are done and analyzed from the test fisheries at the end of the season.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »

guys are still flossing. Just heard from a friend that's out bar fishing today and he saw lots of flossers trying for chinooks.
 Sad really.
edit here now. I was just told there were over 50 guys on the scale bar today just flossing away. Nice  to see people really care about the sport of fishing. It sure seems like it's all about rape, plunder and pillage then on to do the next thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:55:25 PM by rln »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 04:07:28 PM »

DFO does this every year. Every spring early summer DFO comes up with estimate on the strength of various runs. Come fall, it's always downgraded.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »

Part of it would have something to do with those 3 million chum and pink eggs that were killed by the cheam gravel extraction two winters ago... I wonder if charges will ever come out of that.

:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin