Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress  (Read 25643 times)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: Ethics Fishing Article In Chilliwack Progress
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »

Whats with the picture of those 3 guy's hogging that spot 8) Shouldn't they rotate.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rick and that's just the beginning.  ;) Maybe you could promote all the 'good things' you feel comes from this instead of whining about those who have a concern and are utilizing their right to share it. Nothing's stopping you any more than nothing's stopping me.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »

I think it is pretty sad when a few noisy "Elitists" can have many unproved " Heresays" published in a newspaper, Bashing a type of fishing that is not illegal !!! promoting a type of fishing that they happen to enjoy !!  ::) using the scare tactic that the recreational fisherman is having a devastating effect on fish numbers when we all know that is not the case !!

pretty scary if you ask me !!!!

TH

What is scary is your attitude my friend, these guys are not elitists, they fish with a float and allow a fish the choice of to bite or not to bite.

What is elitist about that?
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »

Exactly Nicole. That's scary.

I dont know how these guys get off calling such people "elitists". Where did that come from? I guess if we're going to incorporate snagging into sport angling, then the ones who spend time and skill to get a bite must suddenly now be elitist.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I say again, scary.  >:(
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 10:54:14 AM »

I think it is pretty sad when a few noisy "Elitists" can have many unproved " Heresays" published in a newspaper, Bashing a type of fishing that is not illegal !!! promoting a type of fishing that they happen to enjoy !!  ::) using the scare tactic that the recreational fisherman is having a devastating effect on fish numbers when we all know that is not the case !!

pretty scary if you ask me !!!!

TH

What is scary is your attitude my friend, these guys are not elitists, they fish with a float and allow a fish the choice of to bite or not to bite.

What is elitist about that?
Nicole

Nicole "my friend" the scary part is .... an article full of "beliefs" and "theories" was published as "facts" ... in this world that is a big NO NO !!!
and as for your fishing with floats comment .. it goes much deeper than that !! they also refer to BB the Fraser !!! calling one method of fishing Snagging when in fact nobody has ever proven that !!! get a camera down there and prove to everyone that the fish are in fact NOT biting and maybe there would be something to back the claims up !! until then the false claims and scare tactics need to STOP !!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 10:55:16 AM »

I think the problem is your incorporating too many things into what "You" consider "unethical"!!!! Bottom bouncing is a term for your weight ticking along the bottom down here....How is that unethical? Short floating is only one method of fishing..It to me is old fashioned and out of date...to preach it's the only way to fish is IMO  elitist... That's what bothers me on this subject.... I'm sick of reading how guys are" ticking bottom and then adjusting their floats to be just off that and fishing 18" leaders"....and then showing pictures of steelhead they SNAGGED with the roe bag uncrushed and the hook on the outside of the mouth....pure b.s. ( but that's been shown enough on 2:40's site  ;D)

We are fighting a war among st ourselves over what is deemed "ethical" by a select group...What we really need to be concerned with is not division but pulling all angling groups togeather to stand up as one...Whether it be fly, float, etc. Your resources are going fast and  your pissing into the wind over leader length.  We catch the fewest amount of fish and yet spent the most for local economy's etc. We aren't heard because everyone is always pointing at someone else as the cause...That's the real problem in a IMHO..

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »

get a camera down there and prove to everyone that the fish are in fact NOT biting and maybe there would be something to back the claims up !! until then the false claims and scare tactics need to STOP !!!!!

That's a good idea, why don't you do that? Make sure to get the camera right in close to show the hook on the inside of the mouth (as a seamless unedited raw piece of video), and I bet these guys will back off.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:05:59 AM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »

I've seen a few Steelhead flossed on Spey Rods. I guess since it wasn't hooked Bottom Bouncing it was caught ethically? Hmmm. Folks, I hate to break it to ya... but the dwindling stocks are not going to be improved one little bit by these special interest groups ramming thier opinions down everyone's throat.

That Chilliwack newspaper article was  one dimensional and opinionated. I'll say it again, IF STOCKS ARE IN DISTRESS... SHUT DOWN THE FISHERY TO EVERYONE! That means YOU TOO FN. And if that was ACTUALLY ENFORCED... then and only then.... would you see any improvement. Good luck with that. Instead what we see is these special interest activists wasting thier time with small potatoes.
Catch your limit, go home. Catch and release kills fish, and is cruel torture.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 11:22:13 AM »

I think the problem is your incorporating too many things into what "You" consider "unethical"!!!! Bottom bouncing is a term for your weight ticking along the bottom down here....How is that unethical? Short floating is only one method of fishing..It to me is old fashioned and out of date...to preach it's the only way to fish is IMO  elitist... That's what bothers me on this subject.... I'm sick of reading how guys are" ticking bottom and then adjusting their floats to be just off that and fishing 18" leaders"....and then showing pictures of steelhead they SNAGGED with the roe bag uncrushed and the hook on the outside of the mouth....pure b.s. ( but that's been shown enough on 2:40's site  ;D)

We are fighting a war among st ourselves over what is deemed "ethical" by a select group...What we really need to be concerned with is not division but pulling all angling groups togeather to stand up as one...Whether it be fly, float, etc. Your resources are going fast and  your pissing into the wind over leader length.  We catch the fewest amount of fish and yet spent the most for local economy's etc. We aren't heard because everyone is always pointing at someone else as the cause...That's the real problem in a IMHO..

Golfman, you are right, bottom bouncing is a legit form of angling, used in very deep portions of water on the vedder... I used to do it myself in Allison Canyon, where floats could not get down deep enough.

The problem is that flossing has appropriated the term, and before sockeye, bottom bouncing was done with a 1.5-3 foot leader, to allow the bait to swing freely in the current.

Bouncing betties were never used back then, it was more pencil lead and slinkies.

So until there is some sort of restriction on leader length, this debate will continue.

New anglers (by new I mean 10 years or less) may know nothing better than flossing, and they need to be educated.

Or else they'll think it's okay to floss everywhere, and I think we can all agree that is not right.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »

get a camera down there and prove to everyone that the fish are in fact NOT biting and maybe there would be something to back the claims up !! until then the false claims and scare tactics need to STOP !!!!!

That's a good idea, why don't you do that? Make sure to get the camera right in close to show the hook on the inside of the mouth (as a seamless unedited raw piece of video), and I bet these guys will back off.

Cheers,
Nicole

YOU are the ones making the claims !! YOU are the ones that need to provide the proof !! so put down your rod's and stop fishing your " FLY ONLY" water and get to it !! until then figure out a way to improve fish stock survival and stop ramming your " Beliefs" down everyones throats  >:(

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »

New anglers (by new I mean 10 years or less) may know nothing better than flossing, and they need to be educated.

Or else they'll think it's okay to floss everywhere, and I think we can all agree that is not right.

Cheers,
Nicole

You and a small % of others think it is not right !! take a poll and lets see who really agrees with you

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »

"New anglers (by new I mean 10 years or less) may know nothing better than flossing, and they need to be educated."

And you are going to educate them? Ok folks rule one :Floss fish with bouncing betty Baaaad. rule 2 Floss with fly rod Gooood.

Some of you guys just kill me!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 11:30:07 AM »

YOU are the ones making the claims !! YOU are the ones that need to provide the proof !! so put down your rod's and stop fishing your " FLY ONLY" water and get to it !! until then figure out a way to improve fish stock survival and stop ramming your " Beliefs" down everyones throats  >:(

TH

You really have to get your head outta your my friend... I've been fishing the cap lately, with ROE... Fly only hey? You're grasping at some really short straws there.

I'm not going to waste my time, I have better things to do. Like fish!

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

That Chilliwack newspaper article was  one dimensional and opinionated. I'll say it again, IF STOCKS ARE IN DISTRESS... SHUT DOWN THE FISHERY TO EVERYONE! That means YOU TOO FN. And if that was ACTUALLY ENFORCED... then and only then.... would you see any improvement. Good luck with that. Instead what we see is these special interest activists wasting thier time with small potatoes.

Exactly, if the fish is in danger shut down the fishery to all.
Nicole and 2:40, can you please point me to a dictionary where I can find the definition of "sport fishing" and what methods are included?

It's hot in here.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »

"New anglers (by new I mean 10 years or less) may know nothing better than flossing, and they need to be educated."

And you are going to educate them? Ok folks rule one :Floss fish with bouncing betty Baaaad. rule 2 Floss with fly rod Gooood.

Actually I do... All the time I get a chance, and people I teach on the river are very appreciative.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »

Actually I do... All the time I get a chance, and people I teach on the river are very appreciative.

Cheers,
Nicole

That's what worries me about the Fishery. You need to broaden your focus on a part of the fishery that actually will make a difference for the fish, not waste your time preaching your gospel lady.