Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will there be a Sockeye opening???  (Read 5487 times)

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
Will there be a Sockeye opening???
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »

Any thoughts on if there will be another opening for us. I'm not looking to fill a freezer, but would like to enjoy a couple for the BBQ

johnny

Re: Will there be a Sockeye opening???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »

You already missed it..
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

rob.l

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »

I know there was a 5day opening in July. I did miss it, as I was away on holidays.

Marsman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

no,  But I have been wrong.  The late run that comes from area 12 & 13 (Adams and ??) have had NO fish in the test nets.  I can't see them opening it again unless it is for a seal hunt...  ;) ;)

Cheers

rob.l

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

LOL.... If its a seal hunt...I'm In... !!!!!! ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there will be a late run opening.

The early runs (Stuart/Cultus through Gluske, Forfar, Kynock, Dust) are almost complete but the numbers were good.

Fence counts:
Forfar -  2006=3850 / 2007=N/A / 2008=2610 (no data for 2007)
Cluske - 2006=2075 / 2007=167 / 2008=1509

The summer runs (Quesnel, Chilko) are still building , but the Chilko numbers are looking good.

The late runs are Shuswap/Cultus/Harrison/Weaver through Sweltzer & Scotch.
Scotch has no fish so far, but that is normal.
Sweltzer has a few fish (about half of 2006 counts) so far.

Watch the number for Scotch & Sweltzer over the next week or two.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/Escapement/Sockeyeupdate.htm

The Albion test fishery for Sockeye from August 1st to August 14th shows:
2006 = 328
2008 = 408

Keep in mind that a water temp of 22C is deadly for Sockeye - they on last for 4-5 days at that temp.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »

I doubt there will be another opening despite the counts.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »

Easywater: I think you answered your own question with regards to temperature. It is supposed to be a scorcher in the Fraser Canyon right through the weekend with temperatures some days approaching 38 degrees. With temps like that I cannot see them having another opening.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »

Depends how well the sockeye C&R study is going I guess  ::)  On another note, why would it matter is they open it and people start catching fish in 38 degree weather, all the fish these beaks catch will go right to the freezer anyways, they wont end up being released to die. I would be more worried about the fisherman targetting red springs right now with their 10 foot leaders and hooking sockeye than if there would be an opening.  ::)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »

You're absolutely right.

The numbers from the PSC site say 587 Sockeye caught between August 1st to August 14th.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »

Yes there is an opening going on - the natives are still hauling in their nets with catches going to the market place.   ;D >:(

The other day I heard a guy talked about him and his friends have bought from a native source all that 'cheap' soc at $12 per fish and they are large soc, probably the Adam green heads. So pathetic that DFO should know that all these FN openings are just causing the decimation of the soc stock to load up some one's purse. What food and ceremony? Give us a break & don't treat the sporties like dummies.

After hundreds of thousands of fish caught by this group, they are still letting them catch them soc with big drift nets, and yet turn around telling us sporties to stay off while we had to work hard to get our two fish and spending a fortune on gas even on days the fishery was open. We pay our fair share of taxes to support the government and its departments, and we don't get the least respect or fair treatment. If they just shut down the FN for one day, there should be enough fish spared for the sporties to have fun for one or two weeks. Just so unfair. If the fish stock is that low, shut down the whole darn thing to protect the fish.

I will not participate in that Sockeye mortality rate study because I suspect it is just another smoke screen from DFO to rob the sporties of more fishing opportunity. So what a few sockeyes die from the sporties c/r their accidental catch? How does that compared to hundreds of fish die from net strangulation? How does that compared to the huge number of fish being taken massively by FN nets currently? If DFO is going to treat us sporties as dummies, they don't need to waste our time for a test study because they will just use it to justify shutting us out anyway. All they are doing, by limiting fishing opportunities, is wiping out the 'marginal' fishers from the river, resulting more people buying from FN illegally. This in term will motivate FN to net more fish (legal or not) to be ready for the increased demand, and the Soc stock will be decimated. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:39:49 PM by Steelhawk »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »

Yes there is an opening going on - the natives are still hauling in their nets with catches going to the market place.   ;D >:(

The other day I heard a guy talked about him and his friends have bought from a native source all that 'cheap' soc at $12 per fish and they are large soc, probably the Adam green heads. So pathetic that DFO should know that all these FN openings are just causing the decimation of the soc stock to load up some one's purse. What food and ceremony? Give us a break & don't treat the sporties like dummies.

After hundreds of thousands of fish caught by this group, they are still letting them catch them soc with big drift nets, and yet turn around telling us sporties to stay off while we had to work hard to get our two fish and spending a fortune on gas even on days the fishery was open. We pay our fair share of taxes to support the government and its departments, and we don't get the least respect or fair treatment. If they just shut down the FN for one day, there should be enough fish spared for the sporties to have fun for one or two weeks. Just so unfair. If the fish stock is that low, shut down the whole darn thing to protect the fish.

I will not participate in that Sockeye mortality rate study because I suspect it is just another smoke screen from DFO to rob the sporties of more fishing opportunity. So what a few sockeyes die from the sporties c/r their accidental catch? How does that compared to hundreds of fish die from net strangulation? How does that compared to the huge number of fish being taken massively by FN nets currently? If DFO is going to treat us sporties as dummies, they don't need to waste our time for a test study because they will just use it to justify shutting us out anyway. All they are doing, by limiting fishing opportunities, is wiping out the 'marginal' fishers from the river, resulting more people buying from FN illegally. This in term will motivate FN to net more fish (legal or not) to be ready for the increased demand, and the Soc stock will be decimated. Pathetic.

+1

335,000 fish.... it's gotta be 1 hell of a big ceremony there planning for  :o

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »

Funding for happy hour... maybe??   ;) ;) ::) :P

dnibbles

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »

There will 100% NOT be another sport opening. Late run, as well as portions of the Summer run (Chilko, Adams, etc) are coming in well below forecast. Commercial and sporties have already reached their allocation for the season, while the natives have not. Hence, they are still fishing.

Sarap Buhay

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »

DFO will open it when the Sockeye are gone. Every year happen. very clever ha!