Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to Fish for the Future 2010?

Yes! :)
- 12 (52.2%)
No... :(
- 11 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: July 20, 2010, 02:14:24 PM

Author Topic: Fish for the Future 2010, July 10th - FREE fishing festival!  (Read 15778 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fish for the Future 2010, July 10th - FREE fishing festival!
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »

Yesterday we took a look at the river briefly, even wet a line. :) Water clarity is actually not bad. Lots of pikeminnow and chub around. It should be a good weekend if this weather keeps up. :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=181

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »

Those of you who are coming to help out tomorrow, I just realized that we are short of help for setup at 9am... Chrome Mykiss, Nina and I are going to be at the pier at around 8:30am with tents to set up. Dragonspeed and FFSBC are arriving with tables and chairs at 9am. We need a few more bodies to set up tents, tables and chairs. If you can come earlier, then please let me know.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »

Those of you who are coming to help out tomorrow, I just realized that we are short of help for setup at 9am... Chrome Mykiss, Nina and I are going to be at the pier at around 8:30am with tents to set up. Dragonspeed and FFSBC are arriving with tables and chairs at 9am. We need a few more bodies to set up tents, tables and chairs. If you can come earlier, then please let me know.

I can be there for the setup. I'll aim to be there around 8:30.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »

Thanks Dave! :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »

One last bump before heading out the door! Hope to see some of you at the event today. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »

Still trying to cool down after today. The turnout was excellent! I didn't manage to take many photos because there was quite a bit to do, but I think Dragonspeed got some good shots as usual. :) Thanks to all who came out to support it. We wrote up around 150 juvenile saltwater fishing licences. More about the event later when photos are ready.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 11:55:50 PM »

Here are some photographs from today. I only took a few but Dragonspeed and others should have more available.

Extremely patient fly tyers! Look how many kids were around the table. This basically went on for several hours straight. We need more volunteer fly tyers next year to cut down the work load.

People signing up before participating.

The venue.

Seymour Salmonid Society's juvenile coho salmon.

OWL's birds of prey display.

Chrome Mykiss unhooking a fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:15 AM »

Many thanks to all who came and helped out at the event. Thanks to Funeral of Hearts (Dave), Ratalot (Rene), Dragonspeed (Brian) and his Venturers, Buckeye (George) for putting up with all the kids on the floating dock. ;D Thanks to Nineweight (Mike) and Tanya from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC for coming out from Abbotsford to distribute fishing rods, bait etc and running draw prizes. Thanks to the guys at FlyBC and Tim for helping out with the fly tying. Thanks to Buckwife, my neighbour Jen and Natalie for doing the fishing licences. Thanks to Newsman for doing the flycasting, Chrome Mykiss for taking care of the fish in the aquariums despite of a few belly uppers. ;D Thanks to Chris and Itosh for showing up at the end to help with the take-down and cleanup. Thanks also to those who came earlier to set up the tents etc with us, the drama made things more interesting but it was a relief that everything worked out. ;D

Next year's event will be on July 9th. :)

Most kids caught at least a fish. Most abundant species caught were sculpins as usual. Some peamouth chub and northern pikeminnow were caught. A very large northern pikeminnow was caught by a little girl near the start of the event. A cutthroat trout was caught near the end of the event. No flounders, shad, shiners and suckers were caught.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »

I think a big thank-you needs to go out to Rodney for putting on this event. I thought it was well run and very organized. Its so nice to see so many children really enjoying catching fish, I had a blast helping out and i'll be out again next year.

So on behalf of all the smiling children yesterday, THANK-YOU.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »

Yes other then the totally goofy sunburn pattern on the old forehead,the day went pretty smooth so good job Rod.See you next year:)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »

I've got a kick-my friend pair of calf burns that run from where my socks ended to where my shorts started.  Ouch.

Good times, lots of people and lots of fish!  I swear there was no cutthroat... I didn't get a picture of it. ;)

Buck_wife

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

I think the day went very well! 2010/07/10 is now stuck in my head after writing it down all day.......Turned out to be a L-O-N-G one for us...up at 5 and not getting back into Chwk until after 11!  8)
Needless to say we're just kinda hanging around today........watched soccer.... ::) dumb octopus
We too are sporting some red colored flesh here and there, but not near as bad as I thought it would be.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

Was planning to possibly drop by via the bike but yesterday's BC Lion game along with some red wine kinda had me feeling "lousy".

Lesson learned till next time  (ha)

Very happy the event was such a success.
Thanks for FWR as it is a big plus for us in BC.  Ya couldn't have asked for a nicer day. (not too windy or rainy)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

I think the day went very well! 2010/07/10 is now stuck in my head after writing it down all day.......Turned out to be a L-O-N-G one for us...up at 5 and not getting back into Chwk until after 11!  8)
Needless to say we're just kinda hanging around today........watched soccer.... ::) dumb octopus
We too are sporting some red colored flesh here and there, but not near as bad as I thought it would be.

11pm??? What were you all doing after supper?? :o We went home and melted on the couch. :-\

If you guys have feedbacks on this year's event, please let me know. What other activities you'd like to see set up for kids? What other pampering services should we provide for volunteers? ;) Nina and I will be making a list of things we want to see or don't want to see for next year's event in the next few days, so please let us know. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »

I just added a whole bunch of photos from Dragonspeed and Chris to the event album for those who are interested:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1664