Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RCMP Checking fisherman?  (Read 17466 times)

DOdGER

Re: RCMP Checking fisherman?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »

barblaess hooks are the anglers responablilty.  PEROID

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »

How is the industry that sells barbed hooks running the salmon stocks into the ground? It's the fishermans job and responsibility to pinch the barbs on the hooks. That's why we have written regulations that people are supposed to read.  There's only so much babysitting that can be done and unfortuantely that's not what people in a fishing store are getting paid to do.

Another interesting part on the barbless hooks. I noticed that some places now sell barbless treble hooks so I bought some to use with anchovy hookups. That was a huge mistake.... Fish after fish would not stay on the hook by the time you could get the line of the downrigger. I ended up giving up on the premade barbless hooks and went back to the hooks where I pinched down the barb. After this the fish were staying on the line. And yes the barbs were fully pinched down. Last time I will be using premade barbless hooks when used with downriggers.

--check out some different shaped treble barbless, some shaped similar to circle hook other s have two long and one wide gap etc. wouldn't give up after trying one style. 

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »

This is a funny one:

I was at Saperton yesterday evening; and as I was pulling into a parking spot I saw 3 RCMP and Police cars pulling in.
Then I proceeded to my regular spot on the rocks with my wife to do some fishing.
The policemen were checking the people fishing on the pier.
My wife said that i bet they wont come out this way to check others; and I said no way!  They will come.

sure enough, the cops checked all on the pier, but they didn't make the effort to walk 10 min along the river and check the other 30 or 40 people who were fishing on the rocks :)
I just thought this was really funny.  They must have been late for their donut stop :) :)
I like that they check fishermen, but at least they could make sure they cover everyone when they can! ::)

<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

warlo_527

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »

SpringMaster,
"They must have been late for their donut stop" That MUST be it....or maybe they had to attend a 911 call? Maybe a car accident? Maybe a report of some sorts...missing person...anything. I agree with you that it's nice that they are coming out to check fisherpeople though.

poncho

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 11:03:02 AM »

sure enough, the cops checked all on the pier, but they didn't make the effort to walk 10 min along the river and check the other 30 or 40 people who were fishing on the rocks :)
I just thought this was really funny.  They must have been late for their donut stop :) :)
I like that they check fishermen, but at least they could make sure they cover everyone when they can! ::)

What is the point of making stupid comments like "They must have been late for their donut stop".  Did that really serve any purpose? It is the DFO's responsibility to manage fisheries and police help out when they can. Your whining that they should have checked everyone just goes to prove that police are never going to be able to please everyone. Also, walking 10 minutes along the river, away from their cars would mean an extra 10 minutes it would take to get to their cars if an emergency call came in. Then the public would complain about response time and don't the police have something better to do than check fishing licences.

By the way, you have no idea why they left and your "donut stop" comment is so old and unoriginal it is pathetic.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »

Maybe they got word of a fresh batch!!! ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »

Face it -

Cops will ALWAYS be the brunt of donut shop jokes.
Lawyers will ALWAYS be the brunt of greedy money jokes.

As a cop it's gotta be tough to hear, but there's nothing  you can do to counter it.

I know a few lawyers and they always seem to have a BETTER lawyer joke than the guy telling the first.  Kinda puts the teller in his place. ;)

We all know the police do an IMPORTANT and required job, and that due to understaffing (money - where to get more money??  Maybe they can swing a deal with a lawyer? :D ) they are "never around when you need them".  It's tough... no real win other than to know you ARE making a difference.

my $0.02

p.s. can you grab me a Canadian maple when you stop by the donut shop  8)

funpig

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »

If you can see a uniform coming 10 minutes away, what are the chances of a cheater being caught anyways?  By the time, the uniformed officer shows up, the illegal tackle will have been changed out or any illegally retained fish could be dumped.  That is why I applaud the use of officers working under cover as fishermen to catch the cheaters who know the rules. 

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

I've got another donut joke :)

do u know why the cops all of a sudden turn on their siren in traffic and do a U-turn and rush away?   they remembered they were supposed to pick up some fresh donuts for the office!  ;D

Cheer up dude!
If you were there, where I was, and saw 6 cops checking on 10 people, you would have shook your head too!
Oh and when they left, they didn't have their sirens or the blinky-blinky lights on!  ;)
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »

That's enough.