Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calcutta Reel, Which one??  (Read 19603 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Calcutta Reel, Which one??
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »

Charles I understand you don't think there is a big difference in torque going from 4:1 to 6:1 but I myself have found a big difference and that is why I will be selling my 6.3:1 reel as it doesn't provide enough torque for the way I fish.  I tend to pay attention to detail which I think is important when it comes to fishing but I can see how other may not notice as you can still gain line without slipping by increasing the drag (something I don't always want to do).  But I have said my piece people can take what they want from it or mark it off as hogwash it doesn't matter to me.  When it comes to fishing I am always learning and IMO people who think they know everything cause they have caught fish will be slow to evolve.  Your loss. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:27:53 PM by Eagleye »

stlhd4ever

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »

Eagleeye
I,ve read every post in this thread. And came to the conclusion that you are an idiot. What you are saying is that my c4 is not adequate enough to haul in big fish because of my higher gear ratio than a c3 that is complete bs. I've never had to clamp down on my drag enough to lose a fish of any size in the fraser. And by the way your line doesn't slip, it is your spool that doesn't spin. It doesn't matter what your gear ratio is it is the tug of the fish that determines how to set your drag. And the whole reel size thing I just put that in there because people seem to think that braid is the cure all. The smaller reels are usually made for lighter line sizes. "but it is the leader that matters" isn't the case. If you are snagged on your mainline and you have 60 lb braid on there and the reel is made for 12 - 15 lb test that is alot of stress on the reel parts to try and come loose. Which in turn means faster wear on parts. They make different size reels for a reason. Oh and one more thing this thread isn't about gear ratios it is about which calcutta is the best choice. So put your foot where your mouth is get back to the real subject.
Wishin I was Fishin

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Eagleeye
I,ve read every post in this thread. And came to the conclusion that you are an idiot. What you are saying is that my c4 is not adequate enough to haul in big fish because of my higher gear ratio than a c3 that is complete bs. I've never had to clamp down on my drag enough to lose a fish of any size in the fraser. And by the way your line doesn't slip, it is your spool that doesn't spin.
When I said line slip that is what I meant I thought it was obvious.  And it all depends on how you play them I didn't say it wasn't possible to land big fish with a high gear ratio, it is just beneficial to have a lower one.

The smaller reels are usually made for lighter line sizes. "but it is the leader that matters" isn't the case. If you are snagged on your mainline and you have 60 lb braid on there and the reel is made for 12 - 15 lb test that is alot of stress on the reel parts to try and come loose. Which in turn means faster wear on parts. They make different size reels for a reason.

that's why if you get a snag, especially in strong current like on the Fraser you should back off your drag and wrap your line around a stick to relieve the pressure from your spool and pull free.

Oh and one more thing this thread isn't about gear ratios it is about which calcutta is the best choice. So put your foot where your mouth is get back to the real subject.

::)  I got on the topic of gear ratios because I didn't want the OP to make the same mistake I did and buy a reel with too high a gear ratio.  But to each there own I guess.  I'm only sharing my experience and preference.

charles

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007, 10:07:26 PM »

Calm down, we were just having a discussion.  There is more reels choices than just the calcutta.  The OP and others recommanded the smaller model of the calcutta and that is why I posted about other styles of reels.

I don't know about you but I do benefit from reading other people's opinions.  

We all know the line slip means the drag can't take the pleasure, therefore, your spool slips.  So don't pick apart each words on the post and start a fight.

As for smaller reel for ligther line, it might be truth years ago.  But now most companies are putting most of the money on developing and now producing reels that are smaller, stronger, and mainly for braided line.  Let me give you an example, Saltiga round reel.  This reel is small compare to most offshore reel, but they pack better gears and produce more focus than other companies bigger reel.  So believe it or not, the newer smaller low profile doesn't mean lighter line only.  But line capacity seems to be a major problem though...  And no one is saying putting 60lbs test on them.  I don't even fish 20lbs test with the chum.  And think 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of line breakage pleasure on your reel, it is not a lot of pleasure.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »

I got a Conquest which is JPN model of TE, it's a nice reel, spins well good drag but a bit on the heavy side.  Calcutta 400b is a good all around reel light weight, smooth, however, doesn't spin as freely as TE.  Luna 300 in my opinion is the best in terms of casting.  Spins well and has a magnaforce control on sideplate to aide casting in windy conditions or other bazzar casting situation.  TE spins well but without the aide you can get frustrated with birdnests in less than ideal casting condition.  I end up using TE for mooching.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:22 AM »

I agree the Luna results in less birdsnest but the 300 model uses centriflex braking and the smaller ones use Magforce.  I think the decrease in birdsnest is due to the Centriflex system and the longer more oval shape of the line guide.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:47 AM »

I'll admit maybe I was trying to start something with my ramblings but that's only because it is the internet and nobody knows who I am. I really know nothing about the internal guts and stuff. I buy the best equipment that I can afford and suits me and use it. I put most of my time and energy into catching fish. I maintain my gear and it never lets me down.  Personally the higher gear ratios suit me because I can retreive faster and get more casts in. More casts =more fish in a days worth of fishing. If only I could rig a motor on my pin. ???
Wishin I was Fishin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »

When mooching in fast tide flow yap I would definitely like high line retrieve. Better yet a motorized would be best.  100' ~ 200' of line plus 6~10oz weight, it's alot of work.

charles

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »

I believe Diawa makes motorized reels.  I am not sure they are in the North American market though.