Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calcutta Reel, Which one??  (Read 19604 times)

charles

Re: Calcutta Reel, Which one??
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »

i think the OP is more confused now... :)

The max drag i gave is to the extremn end.  It is a measurement of what  a reel can do if crank down.  Otherwise, there is no way to tell the differences in power of the reel.

You talking about how you fish as well...  But reel preformance should be base on the spec of the reel, don't you think?  We know that the drag is used to tired the fish out, not to set at 24lbs to crank in a 24lbs fish... And to finesse a fish is more of a personal style but not so much in compare spec. of reels.  You have a great style but you can do just the same with the low profile...

Don't get me wrong.  I do not like the Revo cause the screw in the front sometimes will be in the way of my finger (the way I palm it), and I heard rumor that one batch is great, and another batch has some minor problem; RUMOR.  But with the higher adjustment in drag and the lower in weight and choice of cranking handle or the regular handle, it is a good choice if you are looking for luna 253 or calcutta 300.  Even the zillionaire looks great...  There is just so many choices besides the traditional round reels.  But because of our tackle shop, it is rarely a choice for anglers.  I guess they don't want to stuck with no one is buying them too :)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 11:27:22 PM »

How is that a cruado 300 compare to a 300 calcutta to a 253 luna not a apple to apple comparsion?  They both have the same size spool.  Although the gear ratio is 6.2 : 1 with the curado and 5.0 : 1 with the 300TE, both reel behave the same... 

Eventhough I haven't use those exact reels I am quite sure they do not behave exactly the same as I said early the 300TE will have more cranking power, torque whatever you want to call it.  Think about it if there was no advantage to having a lower gear ratio wouldn't all high end reels sport a high gear ratio?  Why would manufacturers make three different gear ratios for the same reel such as the zillionaire wouldn't everyone just buy the high speed model?

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 11:32:06 PM »

hahaha.

it's all good.  we should all just come out for a test or something.  maybe sometimes in words, it's hard to illustrate what we are trying to say.  But none the less, these are all very interesting points.

charles

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »

I still don't see how a round baitcaster will have more cranking power than a low profile in a side by side comparsion with comparable reels.

Let's try this...
A 200 calcutta will be the same size as the zillionaire.  Use both as example...  both are avaiable in the low gear ratio.  I would think these both reel will behave the same. 

Some people prefer lower gear ratio, some people prefer higher.  But in reel like zillionaire, the spec did not change all that much in the lower range.  This is how I see a gear ratio different for different condition of fishing... 

When I  fish for albacore, they do require a much faster reeling in when presenting with lure...  At least that was what my friend shows me how to get those fish with big bait...   I guess I can always crazy crank the slower one...  When fishing for bass with carolina jig, I do prefer a slower rate of reeling.  I guess I can also slow down my higher ratio one...  but that is kind of beating the purpose of the gear ratio...

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01:27 AM »

I still don't see how a round baitcaster will have more cranking power than a low profile in a side by side comparsion with comparable reels.

Let's try this...
A 200 calcutta will be the same size as the zillionaire.  Use both as example...  both are avaiable in the low gear ratio.  I would think these both reel will behave the same. 

::)  If they both have the same gear ratio ( and to a lesser degree size of spool) then yes they would have the same cranking power.  I never said they wouldn't.

Some people prefer lower gear ratio, some people prefer higher.  But in reel like zillionaire, the spec did not change all that much in the lower range.  This is how I see a gear ratio different for different condition of fishing... 

When I  fish for albacore, they do require a much faster reeling in when presenting with lure...  At least that was what my friend shows me how to get those fish with big bait...   I guess I can always crazy crank the slower one...  When fishing for bass with carolina jig, I do prefer a slower rate of reeling.  I guess I can also slow down my higher ratio one...  but that is kind of beating the purpose of the gear ratio...

Sorry but retrieval speed is not the only factor in gear ratios so is torque.  Hopefully someone else in the know will chime in on the subject and put the matter to rest.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »

This is taken from an article on reels from the site http://www.nccoastalfishing.com/fishing_reel.htm

Gear Ratio

Another key consideration when purchasing a reel is gear ratio, which refers to how many revolutions the spool makes with each complete turn of the reel handle. This determines, in part, how rapidly line is retrieved as the angler cranks the handle. Spinning reels, baitcasters and conventional models can offer differing gear ratios, ranging from slow retrieves (ie. 2-1 or 3-1) to high-speed retrieves (4-1 to 6-1). Reels with high-speed gear ratios are better for working lures quickly back to the boat, or gaining line in a hurry when a fish charges toward the boat. Models featuring lower gear ratios don’t offer as fast a retrieve, but provide the greater cranking power ideal for bottom fishing and trolling
applications. Anglers thinking about buying a heavier-duty conventional reel, may want to consider purchasing a two-speed model. While pricier than their single speed cousins, two-speed reels provide the best of both worlds when it comes to retrieve speed and cranking power. With a two-speed reel, an angler can shift at will from the faster-retrieve of “high gear,” to the more powerful “low gear” with a simple push or pull of a button.

charles

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 08:26:59 AM »

That is what I am saying all along...  4:1 - 6:1 makes not so much of a different.  Remember, I was trying to compare the Revo STX to the shimano calcutta.  You can also change the handle to gain a bit cranking power on the Revo.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »

::)  Myself  I find a large difference when going from 5.0 to 5.3 I would not consider buying a 6.4 : 1 reel for salmon fishing.  I find with my 5.3 I have to tighten down the drag far too often which results in lost fish. It is neat that a cranking handle is available for the revo but the extra leverage it provides will not help when the line is slipping due to lack of torque, you will still need to tighten down the drag to gain line.  There are also cranking handles available for both the Daiwa and Shimano.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:20:34 AM by Eagleye »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »

Oops I just checked the specs of my reel that always feels undergunned (in the torque dept) even when fishing cap cohos or retrieving my lure when the water is high (line slips until I increase the drag) and it is rated at 6.3 : 1 not 5.3 .  But even still I would not recommend that someone buy a reel with that high of a ratio for salmon fishing as I myself do not feel the reel is adaquate.  I bought it for casting small lures cause it has a narrow spool but I will be replacing it with a small reel in the 5 : 1 category.

charles

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »

The line slip because of the drag, not because of the lack of torque.  The drag is pre-determine set to before the line breaking point. 

And let me clarify that it is not 6lbs line set at 6lbs drag.  Setup your reel and rod, then run the line through, tie the end of the line to a weight scale, and set your drag while pulling your rod to your desire highest point...  Everyone sets up the desire weight/drag differently.  Some people sets weight half of the line breakage, some sets 1/4...  That is up to you.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »

this is what you said in a earlier post.

The max drag i gave is to the extremn end.  It is a measurement of what  a reel can do if crank down.  Otherwise, there is no way to tell the differences in power of the reel.

torque which is related to gear ratio is part of the equation in the power of a reel.  Max drag is not everything.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »

The line slip because of the drag, not because of the lack of torque.  The drag is pre-determine set to before the line breaking point. 

I disagree my reels with a low gear ratio have no problem reeling in lures against a strong current with the drag set loose but with my 6.3 I have to keep it tight in order to reel through fast current.  If you are right then where does the torque of the reel come into play.  Again you are acting as though it doesn't exist.

charles

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 11:02:40 AM »

But it is a way to compare reel.  Look, there is some standard of testing a reel.  And it is a standard to put what a reel can do.  I am not saying max drag is everything.  It is also some of the ways you can make your decision on buying a reel.

Look at the box or search online, when choosing a reel, line cap, weight of reel, material, max drag, but never mention about the torque...

charles

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »

I am not saying it doesn't exist.  Current adds to strength of pulling back.

Let me give you an example:
pulling against slower current say 1lb and your drag set at 1.5lb.  you gain line
pulling against faster current say 2lb cause the current is working against you, the reel will slip cause of drag setting. 

This is just an assumption number so I thought this would clear it up.

I think we are going way off topic.  You can phone me if you want and we can discuss this further more.  The OP must hate us now :)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »

But it is a way to compare reel.  Look, there is some standard of testing a reel.  And it is a standard to put what a reel can do.  I am not saying max drag is everything.  It is also some of the ways you can make your decision on buying a reel.

Look at the box or search online, when choosing a reel, line cap, weight of reel, material, max drag, but never mention about the torque...

::)  As I stated earlier the gear ratio is a measurment of torque.  The true measurment of retrieval speed is in inches per crank which some manufacturers will provide.  Why do you think most high end Shimanos now feature HEG gearing which provides increased torque. It is the major selling point of the TE which again I already stated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:10:04 AM by Eagleye »