Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...  (Read 18480 times)

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: so much for our limited recreational pink fishery ...
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:36 PM »

In 2015 the pink fishery has been an utter waste of time and money on gear.

I guess fishing is not for you.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »

This year's pink fishery on the Fraser has broken my faith in fishing as a hobby. I was looking forward to the return of the pink salmon on the Fraser River in Richmond since 2013. What happens this year?... delay the opening, open the river for a fortnight, close it again, open it Sept. 5th ... I was at No. 3 Road and Dyke Road and no one on the river caught any fish today. In 2015 the pink fishery has been an utter waste of time and money on gear.

Sounds like whatever you're doing, be it location or technique, is off. I'd suggest switching gears to a new location.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 06:19:45 AM »

This year's pink fishery on the Fraser has broken my faith in fishing as a hobby. I was looking forward to the return of the pink salmon on the Fraser River in Richmond since 2013. What happens this year?... delay the opening, open the river for a fortnight, close it again, open it Sept. 5th ... I was at No. 3 Road and Dyke Road and no one on the river caught any fish today. In 2015 the pink fishery has been an utter waste of time and money on gear.

Cliche time.

It's not called "Catching" it's called "fishing".

I've fished I think a total of 6 or 7 hours this pink run, and I've caught about 6 or 7 fish. In my expirence its low for pinks, but when you consider other species that's a high ratio of catch.

Try steelhead fishing...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:23 AM »

Cliche time.

It's not called "Catching" it's called "fishing".

I've fished I think a total of 6 or 7 hours this pink run, and I've caught about 6 or 7 fish. In my expirence its low for pinks, but when you consider other species that's a high ratio of catch.

Try steelhead fishing...

Great post

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »

Or take up fly fishing. :o  Seriously though, every time I have gone fishing for pinks I have caught multiple fish when using flies. It has actually been better than 2013 for the total number of fish caught.   On the few times i have tossed spoons (I will do that to see see if it is worth bringing my boy out, as he has a low tolerance for being skunked), I have struggled to hook one, let alone the half dozen or more I get on the old faithful pink and white clouser.

Not all those who wander are lost

Zackattack

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 12:43:26 AM »

Or take up fly fishing. :o  Seriously though, every time I have gone fishing for pinks I have caught multiple fish when using flies. It has actually been better than 2013 for the total number of fish caught.   On the few times i have tossed spoons (I will do that to see see if it is worth bringing my boy out, as he has a low tolerance for being skunked), I have struggled to hook one, let alone the half dozen or more I get on the old faithful pink and white clouser.

Interesting... we found the same to be true at Furry... especially in the 2nd half of the run when they would hardly touch gear yet nail the fly.
Are you fishing tidal or non tidal? Just curious, as I am still new to the fly game  :)

StillAqua

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 06:14:18 AM »

Don't hang your fishing hat on the Fraser River salmon fishery. It's been called "the most complex resource management problem in the world". Imagine having multiple salmon species with different escapement needs and fluctuating annual survival rates migrating through a variety of marine and freshwater fishing grounds at different times and trying to provide fishing opportunities for many different resource users (all with different priorities to the resource), while satisfying the requirements of an international treaty. All based on very limited and sometimes inaccurate in-season data.
We live in a fishing paradise in BC; there are many other great freshwater fisheries to take part in if pinks aren't working for you.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »

Interesting... we found the same to be true at Furry... especially in the 2nd half of the run when they would hardly touch gear yet nail the fly.
Are you fishing tidal or non tidal? Just curious, as I am still new to the fly game  :)

Both, but the vast majority of my fishing has been tidal.  I had two trips to Furry Creek, three to Burrard Inlet, two to the Seymour Mouth, a three or four trips to Derby Reach, two to Crescent Island, one to Mission, one to Rosedsle, and two to Harrison. All but two trips resulted in multiple fish days, and a few (including the last trip to Harrison) ended with well over a dozen fish caught.  In 2013 I had to work hard to get two or three fish.
Not all those who wander are lost

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:09 AM »

Don't hang your fishing hat on the Fraser River salmon fishery. It's been called "the most complex resource management problem in the world". Imagine having multiple salmon species with different escapement needs and fluctuating annual survival rates migrating through a variety of marine and freshwater fishing grounds at different times and trying to provide fishing opportunities for many different resource users (all with different priorities to the resource), while satisfying the requirements of an international treaty. All based on very limited and sometimes inaccurate in-season data.
We live in a fishing paradise in BC; there are many other great freshwater fisheries to take part in if pinks aren't working for you.

All leading to the managers also being the most hated people in the world.  No matter what they do, people are pissed off.  Its just different people mad at them all the time...