Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Etiquete  (Read 13696 times)

J.G.

Vedder Etiquete
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »

I thought I'd make my first post a good one...........

What has happened to our local fisheries? Is it o.k. to walk in beneath another angler and fish? Why is it acceptable to stand in one spot of a run for the better part of the day? Does rotating through a pool not make any sense? Why do these problems seem to be more prominent on the Vedder and other local rivers. I never see behaviour like this on steelhead streams up north. The Vedder would be so much less "painful" to fish if there was some sort of etiquete. It is a beautiful river, with a great steelhead run. It's a shame that the "anglers" ruin the experience........

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Vedder Etiquete
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »

It's been like that for 25 years, that I know of.

J.G.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

It's been like that for 25 years, that I know of.

Too me it seems as if it is getting worse......

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:19 PM »

I find that during Steelhead season as long as you stay away from the well known meat holes you will have a very pleasant experience ! I never have any problems, people seem to be friendly and courteous, if someone wants to stay in one place how is that a problem ? you just walk around them and find you're own piece of river, I look forward to this time of year because I know that I am always going to have a good day when I head out..
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »

I agree with what Rick said about someone staying in one spot. Why should that matter? Its a BIG river and lots of water to fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »

It's been that way on most rivers.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »

the vedder is ok during steelhead season. There's alot of river with few anglers compared to the fall. Pretty easy to get lonely, atleast i find it lonely sometimes!
Fish killer 101

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

I will also agree with ThickRick If you were to give a newby a tip about Steelheading it would be to keep moving , so if there is a guy just standing in one spot and not hooking fish one after another then he is probably new ?

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:04:40 PM »

i also agree with rick no matter how many guys are on the river any day is a good day on the river. its up to us to respect each other and conduct ourselfs properly
tight lines

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »

Interesting that JG should bring up this topic because during this years Boxing Day Derby I fished the Boulder Run and my wife Dorthy, accompanied me. I arrived early in the morning and over the next 6 or 7 hours fished all up and down that run and was quite amazed that over that period myself nor anyone else fishing caught anything, that I saw. Now because my wife was with me I knew that hiking here and there and everywhere was'nt really an option this day. No problem. I had caught steelies here before and could see lots of holding water so it was just a matter of time till one came in. Well at about 1PM. I notice three fellows working their way down towards me and when the first guy arrives I was busy chatting with my wife. This guy stops right where my fishing rod is and starts fishing at the spot I had been fishing. That was no big deal I just picked my rod up and walked 6 ft. away and started to fish. Well this fellow starts talking to me saying that anyone that stays in the same spot all day and fishes is an idiot and does'nt know a thing about steelheading. I thanked him for his proffessional advice but mentioned to him that I had fished all up and down this stretch since early morning and for him to come along and make a five minute assumption was pretty incredible. To make a long story short he continued mouthing off at me and I swear it took all I had not to punch this guys lights out, but lucky for him my wife was there. She hates violence. He finally moved on and when his buddies walked by I told one of them what had happened and told him to tell his friend to relax, its only fishing and so what if you don't win the derby. But the nerve of this guy to get in my face and label me and basically tell me I don't anything about steelheading and I've never seen the guy before that moment. Still gets me rankled thinking about. Anyway thanks for listening to my rant, I thot I'd make number 500 interesting and therapeutic as well, getting it off my chest.  ;D :D >:( :D  ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 11:29:05 PM »

JG...What you see on our local rivers down here is totally the norm even though it is vastly different from the rivers up north, the Thompson, all other fly fishing rivers in the world, and even rivers as close to the lower mainland as the Coquihala R. when fly fishing for summer runs (when its open). 

The Vedder was the birthplace of the "river mechanic" when steelheading. Long ago people got used to parking themselves on the Fraser when bar fishing with their tool kit-like tackle box and this practice found its way to the Vedder as mentioned many, many years ago.  Today it's accepted and people try not to make a fuss about it. As long as you go the river expecting it to be this way it's no bid deal.

Bigger problems arise when people leave systems like the Vedder to try other systems, especially the one labelled classified waters like the Dean, the T, and other northern rivers.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the regs even have an etiquette section in them to help people understand the appropriate way to fish these waters.  I guess fishermen who regularly fish classified waters expect others to know the proper etiquette because if you cork someone and pick up a fish in front of them you better start running if you don't want to hear an earful. 

The bottom line is just quickly learn what is the acceptable way of fishing the river you're going to and don't sweat the little stuff.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 03:00:21 AM »

wow. i understand about etiquette and the practice of rotation, but thats usually done on smaller systems with few prime runs. but the vedder? :(

suppose you've hooked onto a few, but was not lucky enough to land one or you start getting hits after hours of searching. do you step aside because someone decided that you had enough time on that run? i think etiquette goes both ways.

besides, people move because they can't catch fish....not because of etiquette.

want to show etiquette?   don't fart when someone's fishing downwind from you.

J.G.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »

I find that during Steelhead season as long as you stay away from the well known meat holes you will have a very pleasant experience ! I never have any problems, people seem to be friendly and courteous, if someone wants to stay in one place how is that a problem ? you just walk around them and find you're own piece of river, I look forward to this time of year because I know that I am always going to have a good day when I head out..
TR

I agree that most people are friendly, everyone is happy to be spending the day on the river. But it is these same happy people that seem to think that walking in beneath an angler who is already fishing is o.k. Being an "anchor" is not as big of a problem. Although it is not proper etiquette. These people are easily passed. But then, aren't you "corking" the "anchor"?
Maybe I expect too much from other's..........?
Is it too much to ask that all anglers learn how to fish properly. Everyone starts on the Vedder. Then progresses to higher caliber fisheries. Shouldn't everyone learn proper etiquette first, before graduating to other fisheries.
Two years ago I was fishing a Skeena River tributary for steelhead. I was over 50km from the nearest paved road, well into the "middle of nowhere". I was working  my way through a run and another two anglers walked out of the bush. They proceeded to fish the tailout of the run, which was the best water on the run. No courtesy call to me....nothing. They fished for a while as I was working my way through the run. After they decided there were no fish to have, they moved on. The funny thing was, one of these guys is a "regular" on the Vedder. I recognized him immediately, it made me laugh that the only time I was corked all season up there was by a Vedder regular.

J.G.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »

JG...What you see on our local rivers down here is totally the norm even though it is vastly different from the rivers up north, the Thompson, all other fly fishing rivers in the world, and even rivers as close to the lower mainland as the Coquihala R. when fly fishing for summer runs (when its open). 

The Vedder was the birthplace of the "river mechanic" when steelheading. Long ago people got used to parking themselves on the Fraser when bar fishing with their tool kit-like tackle box and this practice found its way to the Vedder as mentioned many, many years ago.  Today it's accepted and people try not to make a fuss about it. As long as you go the river expecting it to be this way it's no bid deal.

Bigger problems arise when people leave systems like the Vedder to try other systems, especially the one labelled classified waters like the Dean, the T, and other northern rivers.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the regs even have an etiquette section in them to help people understand the appropriate way to fish these waters.  I guess fishermen who regularly fish classified waters expect others to know the proper etiquette because if you cork someone and pick up a fish in front of them you better start running if you don't want to hear an earful. 

The bottom line is just quickly learn what is the acceptable way of fishing the river you're going to and don't sweat the little stuff.
Well said..........

J.G.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:08:17 AM »

heres is my scoop, i never ever stay in one spot , i will always walk through a run about 20 feet per cast, until fishable water ends, Picketing is a HUGE problem as noticed today at  lower PEACH, these are not true "STEELHEADERS", as a true steelheader you have every right to keep travelling down a run and bypass these anchors, most of them are very courteous and will let you through w/o a yip, but to see all them anchored in for the day is dissapointing and ruins your experience, meat holing in the lower river is a problem and prevents you from covering water. Lickman was an awesome fishery all the way down to bergman 4 years ago until the HOLERS started in, now i avoid that direct area because it prevents you from working the water. I find newer fisherman, for the most part, are the anchors. This doesnt mean younger fisherman either. Steelheading should never ever become a MEAT fishery and its going that way for certain sectors of our community, taking a steelhead home is fine but come on, cover and seek is what "Steelheaders" do

I agree.............