Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Dredger  (Read 8911 times)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Vedder Dredger
« on: September 01, 2004, 12:47:18 PM »

Anyone here have any info on where they are dredging the vedder this year?
I saw one location at Lickman yesterday which looks like they were almost finished, but I remember hearing there was more than one location.
By the looks of it they leave the dredged spot closed from surrounding water and allow the river to create a channel through the dredged section leaving the middle of the river isolated until the water gets high enough to cut a channel through it?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Vedder Dredger
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »

Another at Salwein Creek where it meets the VedderRiver, just above were the Vedder Canal starts.

The bad part about these "ponds" is the fish bunch up there and some unsporting type fishers turn the area into a snagging grounds.

On the positive side they can be good areas to fish a spoon or a blade.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 03:14:14 PM »

Did someone say spoon? Ill have to find these holes ;D

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 03:22:20 PM »

After scouting the mid river yesterday I found lots of holes that weren't there last year (after the high water). Pays to look around  ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 03:35:20 PM »

Have a hard time driving that far as I would have to pass so many exellent and gorgeous rivers to get there 8)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:05:14 PM »

My first year Coho fishing, I tossed blades in the pools.  It was a great way to start.  not quite the birdnesting fear that way.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »

I'm gathering they shift, based on where they pull gravel from year to year, but there were some near Giesbrecht road last (2 yrs ago?) year.

I just tossed a colorado blade.  Much cheaper to lose on a snag, than a croc :)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 05:15:32 PM »

There are many holes throughout the vedder you just have to go and explore. These dredge holes turn into huge gong holes in the fall.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 05:20:40 PM »

If you go over the kieth wilson bridge and follow the dyke to the right . they have barricaded the dyke off just before the gravel pit so you will have to walk in. if they don't open the dyke parking will be a real bottleneck. sounded like lots of machinery there on sunday . They dug it out three years ago  the crowds and fishing ethics were brutal.
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 07:55:02 PM »

I'll only fish there early part of the season  when the crowds show up I'll take my flies elsewhere. :)
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 11:49:51 PM »

Now, that brings me to another point. Another reason that I tend to stick with driftfishing on the Vedder is I do not like to carry two rods. Spinning with the 10 6 is no fun. Too long, it gets in the way and it requires a lot more effort to cast repetitively. And I definitely don't like to leave a rod in the car while fishing with another one, for safety reasons. How do some of you organize your gear? Do you:

1) Carry two rods, leave one on the ground while fishing with the other?
2) Carry two rods, hang the other one on your back while fishing with the other?
3) Carry one rod, leave the other rod in the car?
4) Just fish wth one rod?

When I am fishing the Lower Fraser, obviously there isn't much drifting going on. I usually fish with one spinning rod that I use for both spinning and barfishing. The rod is fairly light, rated 4 to 10lb test, but have had no problem when fighting coho and chum.

On the Vedder, when you add in the chum, white spring and the current, spinning for coho can certainly be "dangerous". How do some of you overcome this?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 12:28:32 AM »

If it is early fall and if I'm primarily targeting cohos I bring my 10 1/2" Sage. If I'm specifically targeting chinooks and chums I bring my 11' Talon. I don't like carrying more than one rod around; too many opportunities to lose one.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 07:41:04 AM »

I have a 9ft.  rod that I love using in crowded conditions and it works very well for swithing to blade/spinners.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 08:07:32 AM »

If you go over the kieth wilson bridge and follow the dyke to the right . they have barricaded the dyke off just before the gravel pit so you will have to walk in. if they don't open the dyke parking will be a real bottleneck. sounded like lots of machinery there on sunday . They dug it out three years ago  the crowds and fishing ethics were brutal.
This should be just blocked for the gravel excavation work and they will open when completed. If not we will make sure it is opened up.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 09:45:42 AM »

I carry two rods with me when fishing the Vedder.  For hardware use a 9ft Loomis gl2 8-12 lbs baitcasting rod with a calcutta 250.  It easily fits in the back of my complete angler vest when I am not using it (also keeps others from standing too close to me  ;D ;D ;D). I use hardware mostly at first light and in certain holes.  Most of the time I float fish with roe with my CP set up.