Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms G3 Waders  (Read 22988 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Simms G3 Waders
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

Whats the deal with the G3s right now. They are not continuing production for the next 3 months? But I heard something like they are making improvements and changes for a new model? Anyone hear anything
The Bigger The Better!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Simms G3 Waders
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »

This may help:

http://midcurrent.com/2013/09/26/video-new-simms-2014-g3-guide-stockingfoot-waders/

Seems like a few minor tweaks.  The Simms logo on the front is much smaller now and off to the corner.

Just got my 2013 G3's and I must say they are the best fitting and most comfortable waders that I've ever worn. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »

Thanks. that video helps me out. Where did you order your waders from? how long did they take to get?
The Bigger The Better!

Kenwee

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »

Simms makes the best wading products, tho expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

Thanks. that video helps me out. Where did you order your waders from? how long did they take to get?

I bought the freestone zippered at half price about a two years ago (for about 170.00). A couple of weeks ago, the waders developed a leak where the neoprene bootfoot joins the fabric.   Rather than to try and fix them myself,  I sent them back to Simms and they determined that the wader was not repairable and that they would replace them free of charge under warranty.  Because they don't make the freestone zippered waders anymore, they offered me either the headwaters for no extra charge or the g3's for a hundred bucks.  Guess which one I chose?

A few fly shops down south have started to clear out some Simms stuff including the g3's.  Check out Madison River fly shop.  I recently bought a pair of Simms guide boots from them for 139.00 as they are clearing them out for the 2014 model.  The g3's are being cleared out at 299.00 but practically all sizes are gone now. There are other Simms  waders being cleared out there as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:08:02 AM by Stratocaster »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »

I scored some G4's at half price, they are the cats azz if you can get a deal on them...
always a student

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

Well how did you manage that?
The Bigger The Better!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »

Funny to see you guys and your "great deals" on certain things

I got a set of Guide boots 4yrs ago for only $125 and I believe they were well over 200 at the time. $139.00 is pretty good though considering my dad just paid 120 for a set of Freestone, possibly Rivershed boots last year (could have been the year before)

I buy Simms everything except my waders. I have had several pairs of their breathables and a set of neo's that all leaked within the first year, most in less than 6 months. They didn't offer to replace them, not even once but just repaired them free of charge. I think every time but the very last time they leaked before getting 6 trips. My L2's which have been used maybe 10 times since being repaired just sit hanging for the wife or a friend to use.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:47 PM »

Funny to see you guys and your "great deals" on certain things

I got a set of Guide boots 4yrs ago for only $125 and I believe they were well over 200 at the time. $139.00 is pretty good though considering my dad just paid 120 for a set of Freestone, possibly Rivershed boots last year (could have been the year before)

I buy Simms everything except my waders. I have had several pairs of their breathables and a set of neo's that all leaked within the first year, most in less than 6 months. They didn't offer to replace them, not even once but just repaired them free of charge. I think every time but the very last time they leaked before getting 6 trips. My L2's which have been used maybe 10 times since being repaired just sit hanging for the wife or a friend to use.

Either you have the worst luck in the world or you are damaging them some how yourself. My G4's finally started to leak after 6 years and over 1000 days in them. And it wasn't the gortex or a seam. It was the neoprene booties from so much hiking in them. Also I am no feather flinger walking level gravel bars all while avoiding anything that resembles any sort of stinky sticky bait.  ;D
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

I am in the market for a pair of G3s. We are going down to Portland for the long weekend and I was thinking of buying it down there to save the sales tax. However, Simms has pretty strong price control. $449 whether you buy in Canada or the US.

Considering the US exchange and the BC sales tax, I'm only saving $30 to buy it in the US. Leaning toward buying it up here; that way if there is a problem I have a local retailer to work with.         

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »

I am in the market for a pair of G3s. We are going down to Portland for the long weekend and I was thinking of buying it down there to save the sales tax. However, Simms has pretty strong price control. $449 whether you buy in Canada or the US.

Considering the US exchange and the BC sales tax, I'm only saving $30 to buy it in the US. Leaning toward buying it up here; that way if there is a problem I have a local retailer to work with.       

g3's are on sale here:

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/waders-simms.html

if you don't mind going to eugene oregon.  I would phone first to make sure they have one in your size.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »

The new G3 Gore Tex is significantly more breathable than the old fabric.  It makes a difference.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »

The new G3 Gore Tex is significantly more breathable than the old fabric.  It makes a difference.

That may be true but I can't imagine how much better it can get considering it was the top wader according to this comparison test:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »

That may be true but I can't imagine how much better it can get considering it was the top wader according to this comparison test:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

There is always room for improvement with everything. With Simms I think the only way they could really improve any of their waders is in the breathability department. They have different models with different prices and they all fit very well to reduce wear due to rubbing. Like what was mentioned in that wader review the G4's are bomb proof and the G3's are the best ones. The only reason the G3's won was because they got more points for their lower price (compared to the G4's) and that because they're not 5 layer all the way to the waist, they're a bit more flexable and breathable.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »

Either you have the worst luck in the world or you are damaging them some how yourself. My G4's finally started to leak after 6 years and over 1000 days in them. And it wasn't the gortex or a seam. It was the neoprene booties from so much hiking in them. Also I am no feather flinger walking level gravel bars all while avoiding anything that resembles any sort of stinky sticky bait.  ;D

Im not a feather slinger all year long. just because you toss feathers doesn't mean you don't hike miles to get into prime spots and away from crowds. Infact when I went through waders a lot I used to hike ridiculous amounts to explore and yes I did puncture one set on a stick but the rest always leaked in or near the feet, one blew a seam along the knee and a pair starting un-threading along the boot/wader stitching

I bet I probably just got several lemons in a row but their customer service turned me off when they were replacing my dads waders without hesitation while instead giving me a shotty repair job.

Bare did the worst repair ever. first trip out with them, my gf wearing them and the entire seam from the book to the knee blew out while she was walking through some waist deep water. You all can guess how pissed she was !!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/