Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pegging beads  (Read 1394 times)

canucksfan233

Pegging beads
« on: October 21, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »

Anyone use a toothpick to peg beads to their line with success? If you have had success, how much of the toothpick do you have showing? Mine is just a bit on each side.
I've been doing it so far this season and have had 0 hits compared to last season where I was using trout pegs and had success.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Pegging beads
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 06:42:32 PM »

Anyone use a toothpick to peg beads to their line with success? If you have had success, how much of the toothpick do you have showing? Mine is just a bit on each side.
I've been doing it so far this season and have had 0 hits compared to last season where I was using trout pegs and had success.

Go to a dollar store and buy a silicon basting brush for a cpl of bucks (I like red but blue works). Cut off the bristles as close to the base as you can. You will get about 40-50 pegs. Pull the bristle thru the bead and the leader and stop when it feels most snug. Then trim the ends. They are silicon and will not compromise your leader quality.

canucksfan233

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »

Ah I do have pegs, I'm just too cheap to use them since they can't be reused lol

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »

Not a fan of toothpicks to peg beads or floats. Swells up with water making them nearly impossible to dislodge.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:17:27 PM »

Go to a dollar store and buy a silicon basting brush for a cpl of bucks

Not a bad idea, but so much plastic wastage. Official trout bead pegs are undeniably pricey for what they are, but work out to only ~10 cents each use.