Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conflicts between duck hunters and coho anglers  (Read 4638 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Conflicts between duck hunters and coho anglers
« on: September 27, 2022, 08:40:09 PM »

One of the hunters that I wrote about on my blog on the Reports page told me this story…

Last November he went duck hunting at Nicomen Slough. Before dawn he loaded his boat with his blind, decoys, dog, and all his gear. He motored a short distance and got everything set up.

After daybreak, a coho angler showed up. “This is my usual spot” the angler said, and proceeded to wade out among the decoys and start casting.

The hunter was flabbergasted but decided not to make issue since he was the one with the firearm.

The hunter is not an angler and wasn’t aware that slough is such a coho hotspot.

Who was in the wrong?

Phronesis

Re: Conflicts between duck hunters and coho anglers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 09:25:12 PM »

Clearly the angler should've respected and moved to some other spot, I dont know anything about hunting but from what I read it looks like a lot of preparation at one spot, so if the hunter took the time and effort to setup and be there first then its his spot, nobody "owns" a spot just because they frequent to that location, respect the person who came first and move on

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:14:26 PM »

Clearly the angler should've respected and moved to some other spot, I dont know anything about hunting but from what I read it looks like a lot of preparation at one spot, so if the hunter took the time and effort to setup and be there first then its his spot, nobody "owns" a spot just because they frequent to that location, respect the person who came first and move on
x2
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 10:19:50 PM »

Angler should respect that someone was there before him.

danielk

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 10:26:57 PM »

The angler was in the wrong . He interfered with his legal hunt.    Look into that.    It’s not legal

danielk

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 10:37:21 PM »

Page 12 of the bc hunting regs   Under during your hunt  and it’s unlawful to do . On number 45. This is what it says

45. To interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged

Ya.   Just a anti hunter.   It’s a normal thing duck hunting.     As a hunter.  I’ve had talks.  I just chose to leave rather then start a fight about it.     I just move down a bit.     But I’m sure a lot of other people.   Make a stink about it.         It would be bad for the fisherman.    If the CO came.    Possibly!!!     

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »

The hunter was flabbergasted but decided not to make issue since he was the one with the firearm.

The best decision made by either party that day. Doesn't matter who was in the wrong, though it seems quite clear ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 09:45:06 AM »

Page 12 of the bc hunting regs   Under during your hunt  and it’s unlawful to do . On number 45. This is what it says

45. To interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged

Ya.   Just a anti hunter.   It’s a normal thing duck hunting.     As a hunter.  I’ve had talks.  I just chose to leave rather then start a fight about it.     I just move down a bit.     But I’m sure a lot of other people.   Make a stink about it.         It would be bad for the fisherman.    If the CO came.    Possibly!!!   

Not sure if that reg applies to non hunters since there is the phrase "during your hunt  and it’s unlawful to ..." .

Conflicts between hunters fishers and others are bound to occur. Good examples I can think of people exercising their dog by throwing sticks in the water to retrieve while another person is angling. Another example,  just walking along the dykes or trails could disturb a hunt. Oh and let's not start talking about jet boats etc.

I think it is a good thing that this has been brought up however as it makes at least some anglers more aware and hopefully gets them to consider how they should behave if they come across a hunt in progress when angling. I would hope the same is true of hunters. I have been in the line of fire a few times in my life from hunters and people just popping off rounds who didn't make a good check to see if there were people in the way.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 10:52:57 AM »

Ultimately you can't hunt unless it is safe to do so, Feel bad for hunter there is basically nowhere left to hunt in the lower mainland unless your rich and can afford to pay off a farmer.

ratfish

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 12:01:30 PM »

Angler was wrong... When I go fishing and someone asks me what I am doing I respond with "there is no fish in there" then I walk away giggling. Don't let anyone know your spots unless its already a gong show. 

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 05:42:55 PM »

Hunting in the Nicomen slough? Wow. That place is crowded during coho season with shore anglers and boat anglers. That seems crazy somebody would be duck hunting there. Discharging a fire arm amongst so many people not the wisest decision on someone’s part.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 06:28:51 PM by Wiseguy »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 06:44:23 PM »

Maybe the hunter could set up his decoys at KWB, I mean if he’s in the right.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »

Hunting in the Nicomen slough? Wow. That place is crowded during coho season with shore anglers and boat anglers. That seems crazy somebody would be duck hunting there. Discharging a fire arm amongst so many people not the wisest decision on someone’s part.

Agreed, hunting in the lower slough, particularly below #7 bridge would be madness. Additionally, it would be fruitless. It would be tough to call in ducks in the midst of all those people and boats.

He was upstream of the confluence with Norrish/Suicide.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 10:17:49 PM »

After daybreak, a coho angler showed up. “This is my usual spot” the angler said, and proceeded to wade out among the decoys and start casting.

We only have one side of the story, but if this is how it really went, then that's some world class entitlement. What's this 'my spot' BS

The hunter is not an angler and wasn’t aware that slough is such a coho hotspot.

That shouldn't matter. First come, first served

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »

I thought there was a no shooting zone within 50m of the highway but what I could find doesn't list it. To me I can't think of many places on the slough, particularly below Norrish Creek that would be safe for hunting given the number people in the area Last December when my wife were collecting cedar on Norrish we did encounter a pair of young men packing shotguns and a bagged duck . I heard gunshots about a half hour before.  The two seemed rather sheepish about having the duck. Again that area isn't void of people. There are still anglers plus people who walk their dogs etc. I have in past years seen people take a rifle out of their car and walk up the trail. Above Norrish there are farms and past Deroche the slough is very close to the highway for the most part. These days there are  there are no coho hotspots in that area. The run to the east end of the slough isn't that large. None are shallow and wadable & the only spot that attracts some angling is the old red rock (marker no longer there)  a mile or so east of Deroche. The story strikes me as inconsistent with the contemporary situation.

The shooting restrictions are a confusing mess; there are Provincial restrictions and local restrictions as well as those imposed by land owners. Little of this is posted.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.