Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artic Graying in the Vedder  (Read 19053 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Artic Graying in the Vedder
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »

True, there is no golden rule where fish will be found. A lot depends on the season and the water height. I fished a two mile section of the Anzac River on time and never touched a fish despite covering the water thoroughly. Then I fished upstream from the bridge and found a section of river that was full of grayling. I can name 20 other rivers in the north where exactly the same thing happened. I've fished miles and miles of several northern rivers where almost nobody goes except gold searchers and the occasional hunter, and had poor results. Then, I'll find some little creek mouth that is stuffed with them. My only conclusion is that Arctic grayling are very migratory and you have to be in the right spot at the right time.

I wasn't going to mention that one , but ditto.... got some great pictures of the Anzac somewhere.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »

I guess you're right.

doesn't count , no visible landmarks :)
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »

doesn't count , no visible landmarks :)

There's a couple clues there. Look at the reflection of the trees and the pilings. If you know where that is you will find them. Sorry, no more pictures.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »

There's a couple clues there. Look at the reflection of the trees and the pilings. If you know where that is you will find them. Sorry, no more pictures.

well then sir we call BS on you.

Its Mill lake for crying out loud  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

well then sir we call BS on you.

Its Mill lake for crying out loud  ::)

Why is it so hard to believe? Bass, crappie etc are not native to the lake, so why not pike?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »

If the pike was indeed caught at Mill Lake, then you may want to notify the region 2 biologist who manages the lakes and river in the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. As far as I know, from all the regular briefings which we receive, northern pike is one invasive species which has not been reported/recorded in Region 2.

And just a reminder to all… Not everything you read on FWR is true… ;D

Ian Forbes

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 11:48:54 PM »

And just a reminder to all… Not everything you read on FWR is true… ;D

As some people who read some of my replies obviously know.

Just wait until I bring some Giant snakeheads from Thailand and stock them in Lower Mainland lakes. They are faster than anything else that swims and are 10 times as smart as any old pike. They are even smarter than wiley old Brown trout.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 06:24:54 AM »

Ian, a Snakehead was already captured in a Burnaby lake last year.

I've been hearing rumors of Pike in Mill Lake for a couple years now but personally haven't caught one myself yet.

And yes; "just a reminder to all… Not everything you read on FWR is true… ;D"

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:28:23 AM by Rieber »

sandy999

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »

Ian, a Snakehead was already captured in a Burnaby lake last year.

I've been hearing rumors of Pike in Mill Lake for a couple years now but personally haven't caught one myself yet.

And yes; "just a reminder to all… Not everything you read on FWR is true… ;D"

This just cannot be a true statement-fishermen don`t tell stories---or do they????

brandooner

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »

Ive been fishing mill lake since i was a kid and know plenty of people who have been fishing it for longer and haven't heard or seen any pike come outta there.
The Fishin' Musician!

sandy999

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »

Ive been fishing mill lake since i was a kid and know plenty of people who have been fishing it for longer and haven't heard or seen any pike come outta there.

I used to live three blocks away from Mill Lake for sixteen years and fished the lake about two-three times a week. Usually early sping and late in the Fall because often the smell during the warmer months was to strong. During all the years that I fished it I never saw or heard of Pike in the lake. After all, the lake is really just a flooded sawmill. Where the species other than the trout stocked from the local hatchery came from I have no idea. Quite likely some fool fishing with live bait and then just dumping his left over bait into the lake.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »

Brandooner - at 24, you were a kid not that long ago. Just because you haven't seen one or caught one doesn't mean there isn't some. Have you ever caught one or seen one of the monster 30#+ catfish that live there?

One morning a few years back, I saw a large long fish that passed under my pontoon boat that creeped me out so much the immediately my feet came out of the water and I oared well away from that spot. I could see it was a fish but couldn't identify it but I literally had bad dreams of this dang thing. I couldn't take it anymore and that was the deciding factor that made me sell my fishcat and stick to the jon boats.

Now I think it could have been a sturgeon that someone plunked into the lake - but maybe it wasn't. Either way, I don't put my feet into that lake anymore.

zap brannigan

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

theres been rumors of pike in there for years, who knows whats all in there, ive caught goldfish,big carp, koi, all sorts of sunfish/bluegill, crappie, both small and largemouth bass, big cats, turtles, and of course trout.

all sorts of aquarium fish and turtles get dumped in there aswell.

brandooner

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »

Brandooner - at 24, you were a kid not that long ago. Just because you haven't seen one or caught one doesn't mean there isn't some. Have you ever caught one or seen one of the monster 30#+ catfish that live there?

One morning a few years back, I saw a large long fish that passed under my pontoon boat that creeped me out so much the immediately my feet came out of the water and I oared well away from that spot. I could see it was a fish but couldn't identify it but I literally had bad dreams of this dang thing. I couldn't take it anymore and that was the deciding factor that made me sell my fishcat and stick to the jon boats.

Now I think it could have been a sturgeon that someone plunked into the lake - but maybe it wasn't. Either way, I don't put my feet into that lake anymore.

Ive been fishin there since i was like 3 with my dad so thats still a good 20 years and I know a bunch of the old timers that fish that lake almost everyday. Not saying it's impossible just haven't heard anything about pike being in there before. Ive seen massive bass, carp and cats pulled out, nothing 30# plus but i believe there could be some monsters lurking for sure. How big was the fish you seen swim under you, that sounds terrifying!!
The Fishin' Musician!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Without exaggeration, what I saw was a solid 4-4.5' long and relatively slow moving - that's why I think it was a sturgeon now.