Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why not construct a fish weir over the fraser river?  (Read 9602 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
why not construct a fish weir over the fraser river?
« on: August 06, 2004, 12:18:45 PM »

Ok, this is my crazy solution to all that ails the fisheries in BC.  I was in Russia and saw a fish weir in action. Basically built across the river, kids hired to collect the fish, commercial license holders got there quota handed to them (no over fishing that way), wrong species not accidentally targed, weir was portable and could move to avoid boat traffic at certain times.

http://www.fishcounter.com/construction.htm

of course you need a strong minded gov't to make it work, but it be great for ensuring fish survival.

am i crazy?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re:why not construct a fish weir over the fraser river?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 01:31:15 PM »

The Govt made the Natives take down the weirs they used to have and forbade them selling fish so that white people could have all the money coming from commercial sale of Salmon-this is fact.

You see in the beginning of white settlement Natives sold salmon to the Whites @ Fort Langley-the whites were looking for gold and especially  furs and fish was just something to eat.

These days there's far too much traffic up 'n down the Fraser for permanent weirs such as there used to be to be functional.

However Beach Seines have been found to work well in some places and Fish Wheels have been tried in the Canyon.

I worked one year for the old Steelhead Society at the Abbottsford show they had a model of a Fish Wheel to demonstrate to people that old ideas can still be used.

On that golden day that treaties are all settled then we can look forward to effective means of harvest being employed but for now there are too many people with agendas in the process.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 01:49:43 PM »

There was a proposal of a "terminal fishery" several years back. Don't know what became of that proposal.

otto

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 07:13:06 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA ........."pay taxes, buy licences"

why in gods name would the FN's want to do that??? it is much easier and more profitable to SNAG fish, OVERFISH with river scouring driftnets at all hours of the night ("ILLEGAL FISHING"), and sell the fish off the back of trucks for a buck. Then when the real anglers protest these actions, the FN's turn the feds, DFO, OFC etc into their little prison queens.

"pay taxes, buy a licence"

<<<walks out pissing myself laughing>>>

ham

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 07:45:19 PM »

Otto that is so excellent ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

otto

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »

one day these salmon will grow legs, walk out of the water, and boy will they be pissed!

ham

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 10:44:11 PM »

I hope that the fish  do get pissed off that they piss on some of the people on this site ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 10:47:15 PM by Harm »

BirdNester

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:44:53 PM »

Ain't no fish mad at me  ;D
RobertO

otto

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 11:16:30 PM »

RobertO - the salmon wont be mad if you dont yank them outta the water....

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 12:18:13 AM »

Remember RobertO: I will, I will, I will eventually catch a fish !  ;D

BirdNester

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 01:42:09 AM »

Gonna catch me some sockeye this weekend.
RobertO

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 05:05:07 AM »

The Govt made the Natives take down the weirs they used to have and forbade them selling fish so that white people could have all the money coming from commercial sale of Salmon-this is fact.

But uh Sam... couldn't the natives become commercial fishermen themselves? You know, pay taxes and buy a commercial liscence?

FYI-Over 40% of the Commercial fleet is comprised of Native owned boats-the ones that fish the Ocean.

You've heard of the Ocean haven't you?

That's where Salmon live-it's where the Fraser discharges.

Have you ever seen a Commercial boat-Seiner or Troller?

Well I'm off to fish the Ocean (note time) ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 10:24:54 AM by Rodney »

otto

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 10:21:31 AM »

re: "The simple fact is that the comfortable little world of snaggers is coming to an end     and Boy O Boy are they squealing!!!"

hmmm.......i have yet to hear a snagger squeal about the situation. Most of the people "squealing" are the ones who are against snagging and drift netting. Most of the people "squealing"  are the ones who practice ethical angling techniques and often C & R, unlike the snaggers and drift netters. IMHO its the FN fishery that is destroying fish population. Kinda hard for a snagger to catch 5000 tonnes of fish a year.  The snaggers are taking about 1% of the fish. Although i do not like how some people (snag, floss, yank, tug, whatever) catch their fish, the b**ching should be directed at the real problem: DRIFT NETS, ILLEGAL AFTER HOURS DRIFT NET FISHING, WASTING OF FISH (dumping of fish after not selling everything from the tailgate) etc.

furthermore, DFO, the feds & the provincial govt/ministries need to stop getting down on their knees and yielding to FN guilttrips (this is our traditional food fishery, this is our right, we were here first, wahh wahh wahh wahh wahh wahh), and start managing the fisheries a hell of a lot better. ENFORCEMENT would also be a nice start.  

POSTEDIT :  just to clarify, i do not mind BB'ing when done properly. i dont do it myself although i tried it a few times.  what i am refering to by snagging is the people that violently yard their rods up and hook the fish anywhere.......
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 10:31:10 AM by otto »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 10:32:55 AM »

Further responses regarding fisheries management can go into the post below:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4267

Otto, one observation I would like to make is that, it's a pretty dangerous approach to tackle the problem before finding out the exact statistical numbers of catches between all utilizers (1% sporties, a whole bunch by FN).

Hmm, Sam, you're online, got your limit already? :)

And why are the rest of your online?? It's Saturday, go fishing. :)

otto

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 10:50:54 AM »

fair enough Rodney.............. ;D

just did'nt feel like wading through government websites and trying to pore over hundreds of pages of stats..........