Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gotta Have It  (Read 15046 times)

Aurora

Re:Gotta Have It
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 11:22:39 PM »

What are they called? Headlamps? Head lights? Strap-ons?
RobertO

strap-ons hahaha .... like leadbelly said don't even think about the cheap-o ones from canadian tire. A friend of mine bought one for when he goes hunting .... says wasn't worth 5 let alone 35.

I'm happy with my 34$ Headlamp.

otto

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 01:56:44 AM »

Home Depot has a headlamp by ENERGIZER for a mere 25 bucks that has both bright white LEDS and a red LEDS for night vison.

well made, cheap, and very bright (white LEDS). the red LEDS are excellent for tying knots in the dark with out freeeking out the rods and cones in your eyes.....  ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2004, 07:07:09 AM »

now that sounds interesting.much thanks

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2004, 11:30:09 AM »

I would go with cheap Petzl led lamp. I have one which I use for wondering around campsite. Never changed batteries and have it for few years, and I hike a lot. Led light doesn't spend almost any energy so it is very economical, plus you can get one as somebody else said for $34.
Wouldn't worry about night vision too much, as I didn't have any problems by now, but I think that is a personal preference, plus way of using it.
If you need one to hike at night, I would get more powerfull regular light bulb lamp. Those spend a lot of batteries though.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 02:20:50 PM »

Robert O...stay away from the "strap ons" buddy and remember this is a family site!   Otherwise I recommend you check out a head lamp - great hands free light source.  I bought an LED head lamp from a store in park royal some time ago...it gives off an intense white light and is easy on the batteries.  Dont quote me on this but I seem to recall getting it at the house of knives !?!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »

Home Depot has a headlamp by ENERGIZER for a mere 25 bucks that has both bright white LEDS and a red LEDS for night vison.

got one there today for 22 bucks.Looks cool but not sure its gonna be brite enough.Will find out tonight ;D

otto

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2004, 05:05:14 PM »

you will be pleasantly surprised at the focus of the white LEDS. you can navigate trails while running with it.

8)

BirdNester

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 06:30:14 PM »

Just  bought one on the way home from work at Army N Navy.
White light, 4 led, $19.99. 30 day return policy, so I'll try it.
As for not using a light at night, I will be checking out new places... don't want to fall off of a cliff.
leadbelly, we can compare out two.
RobertO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2004, 09:05:24 PM »

Fulcrum, what are the advantages of using red lenses at night ?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2004, 09:06:14 PM »

ya those big Mags could be lethal.As for the head lamp it seems to be working good and I dig the red light ;D

otto

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2004, 09:09:16 PM »

glad ya like it!!!

Matt from WA

• I'm a llama!
Here you go bud
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 10:05:58 AM »

It is me - your Yankee friend Matt.
The one you want is called the Black Diamond Moonlighter, it is very slim and low profile. It will cost you 29 bucks US.  I just spoke to the place that I bought mine from, Creekside Anglers, and they said they would be happy to ship one to you. Call them at 425-392-3800.

Here is a URL that shows the one I have.

http://www.backpacker.com/article/0%2C2646%2C3485%2C00.html

I never did get a Spinger that day I ran into you. My only shot was the one that broke the line.  I wandered off the island and went after them upstream for about five hours. I returned to the island around sunset and hooked three more socks, bringing the total for the day to 16 sockeye. I think if I stayed on the island all day I could have caught many more than that. But even though I was handing my rod off, I was wearing out my welcome fast - ha ha ha.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 10:14:23 AM »

Check out industrial wholesalers in Surrey.  BC Fasteners, Airarms, Tidewater etc.  They all sell this kind of stuff in that safety sections.  Cost can be from $15 - $100 depending on what you want to pay.  I have one for hiking to the secrect spot on the Chehalis (keeps the hands free for the 75ft climb down) and payed $25.

BirdNester

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 01:27:05 PM »

I used mine today, I don't like it. Perfect for tying up gear but the white light makes me feel like i'm walking through a cloud. Don't wanna screw up my nightvision, right Fulcrum? I think now I would rather have a halogen, something with some good power.
Hey, Matt, you weren't there the next day, how come? I came to see you. Private message me anytime you are coming down and I can see if I can make it out there with ya. Good on ya for joining the site, you'll really like it. Say hi to American Matt everybody.
RobertO

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 02:23:52 PM »

Hiya Matt.  Welcome to the board.  Where you live in WA?
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.