Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Vests  (Read 2171 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Fishing Vests
« on: October 13, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »

Time to retire my Vedder vest and look for a replacement. Another vedder vest or a sling ? Pros and cons. What is your preference and why ?

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Vests
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »

It was a happy day when I retired my Vedder vest. The back of my neck couldn't take the vest's thin collar cutting into it when loaded.
I replaced it with a padded neck vest and never looked back.
Nowadays there are some pretty nest backpack/fishing vest hybrids I'd look at.
Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07N1QSR48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_X6J3RAQ8A6A3BYR1MV54

243Pete

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 04:48:40 AM »

Went from wearing a vest to carrying a sling bag, primarily as Milo stated the vest would dig into my neck especially under heavy load and I've lost various items that have fallen out from the pockets.
Now I carry one of two Simms sling bags (G4 pro and Dry creek) Pros are that you can carry a fair amount of stuff, easy to organize and if your standing around water it's easy to get stuff out as all you do is detach the small support strap, swing it around and open. Now when I need to carry some heavy fish I carry a smaller cargo net to stuff my fish into and carry back (Fits about as big as a large grape fruit but has very little weight)
G4 has more organizational options, very comfortable to carry, zippers are fairly easy to open with one hand and washing it isn't very hard. Cons are that it's not water proof, roe can stain the material, you can't pack the kitchen sink so pack slightly minimal and they don't make it anymore.
Dry creek is for the rainy days, small and compact, better net holding pocket as it's away from the body, zipper is water tight and the buckles are smaller and less easy to hang up on things. Cons are much smaller than the G4, organization is limited with only two pockets internally, a zipper pocket for phone and a smaller pocket outside for pliers and such, getting the zip open is a two hand deal, the strap isn't the most comfortable and for some reason the support strap is much longer so try not to step on it and crack the buckle.

I haven't really looked back at vests since mine ripped many years back, having gone the sling bag way and never looked back.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »

my old vedder vest still rocks. Full of fish all week, thermos, rods, bait, water bottle, snacks gloves bonker it is awesome. It used to bother my back but keeping in shape made all the difference

JustPuttsin

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:38:29 AM »

I bought a sling bag from amazon couple years ago and have never looked back. Really like the size and comfort packing it around. I don't hardly notice it on my back while fishing. So far i would say build quality is really good as i have had no issue's with zippers etc. I have the regular size, and for 49 buck's you can't go wrong.
 https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Waterproof-Shoulder-Multifunctional-Travelling/dp/B074NYJB73/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+sling+bag&qid=1634290075&sr=8-15

Shinny

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »

I just use a backpack  ;) Holds everything i want. Comfortable to carry multiple fish out with. I’m able to fit an extra shirt/sweater. Store my jacket , bait, lunch, and have room for some fish. The backpack is 100% water proof. This is the one I have. https://www.stormtech.ca/products/cascade-waterproof-backpack-35-l-wxp-1

Easy to clean out as well if a fish pops through the bag inside the backpack and fills the bottom with fish mank.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 08:06:42 PM »

the vest of course isn't waterproof but I like having everything at hand, I can retie a leader or switch lures as I walk.

obie1fish

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 06:34:11 PM »

Berry's Bait and Tackle has a heavy duty river vest. Santa gave me the xxl size, and it's been fantastic. I had to get rid of my xl Vedder vest years ago because it was too tight. This one is expensive, but I doubt it will wear out. I really like how it's designed. The website says it is like the old compleat angler vest FWIW.

https://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/0/0/1/packs-vests-gear-bags-385/deluxe-river-vest-size-xxl-23451.aspx