Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Langara Fishing Lodge  (Read 16178 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Langara Fishing Lodge
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

We are in an unguided boat.  Just the two of us.  For 4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR7qxtgCgY

Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes. ;D

http://

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR7qxtgCgY

Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes. ;D

NOW THAT'S FUNNY S@#T!

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »

Thanks Obie and Bobber.

Those are helpful tips indeed.  I am getting really excited for this trip.  9 more sleeps!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

Driller, send me a email mli@nikka.ca i can fill you in all the info you needed for the trip..

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »

Yeah Driller e-mail the big guy for info, leaving for the lodge sat for the haida gwaii. talk to the big fellow and send me your e-mail, Marco knows who I am and I will give you a idea on how the fishing was. Haida Goonbah.

NFM

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »

Goon, heading up Saturday ??  Whats going on.. didn't you said you had enough with all the BS.. lol  

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »

Not guiding, just helping out with the weighing and tagging, sat to tues, thats it, couldn't guide if I wanted to sold all my gear.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

OVerlooked something very important. 

I don't know how to rig up for this stuff.  I've fished with anchovies in the past, and spoons.  Sounds like herring is the bait up there.  Does one use 2 single hooks? I've been pouring over various videos on youtube to try to get familiar with the different setups.  I need to know what is going to work best.  I can ask for assistance up there but I'd like to make sure I am good at tying the proper knots, so that I'm not wasting one minute of time up on the fishing grounds. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »

Are you mooching or using strip? Mooching one through the nose, one through the dorsal.
 Strip has to be cut at an angle , but there's probably better qualified folk here to help you with that.
http://

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »

They will most likely have hooks on leaders tied for you already. They will teach you how to use cut plugs and whole fish. I don't think people fish much with strips anymore.

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »

Driller you are going to  have to calm down, cut plug is all that you will be using, they supply all the leaders and as soon as you get off the chopper you will be greeted and than have an orientation. This is not rocket science, its fishing. They will show you all you need to know, bait hookups etc, only if you listen, if you show up with the tude, like I.m from the coast and I have done this fished that way and this way and you don't open your eyes and ears than yeah this trip of a lifetime could become a nightmare. Relax, everything will be fine!!! There is guide up there by the handle Grit, tell him you have been talking to Goonbah and he will point you in the right direction. now whith all this info Driller you have to remember that it is fishing and there is no guarantee, enjoy the whales . the scenery, the food and all the bonding. later, last post, enjoy,

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

Okay.

Thanks Bobber.
I do realize that it's fishing, and I am definitely looking forward to the scenery and the wildlife.  I am notoriously a very well prepared person for these angling adventures, so anything that I overlook really ticks me off, hence the multiple questions.  One of my buddies suggested that I go to see Dave at Highwater tackle and ask him for some tips.  I can even go as far as to pre tie a bunch of the rigs.  He suggested that a bunch of greenhorns are responsible for tying up these hook setups, and a lot of them are perfect, but some of them aren't and tying my own would ensure that all of the tackle is primo.  At this point in time I am beginning to think that I am maybe over thinking things.  I think this is the last post from me. 

I'll try to talk to Grit.

Thanks boys.  I'll get back with the report....unless I decide to enter another 50 or 60 posts by next friday.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 01:35:52 AM »

Driller, if you do have time come by Nikka and i can give you a run down of what you need and what you will be expected...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »

a bunch of greenhorns are responsible for tying up these hook setups

Yes, but you'd be a greenhorn too if you haven't tied them before, and you don't have time to make them all perfect
 I don't think they go in to the pub to find people to tie leaders.
Your anxious and you want everthing to be perfect,  That rarely happens.
Relax and enjoy yourself.
Personally I prefer to tie my own leaders and If it fails It's my fault but in my opinion most failures happen with nicked or overused leaders.
Go see steelhead king and he'll should be able to set you straight.
It's always good to know how it should be done.

Good luck, relax, have fun!

gman

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

Driller, I'm like you and try to plan it out in advance.  Its part of the fun. You would do fine if you showed up without any prep, like everyone says, but I would consider the following:

- go to Nikka. Marco and/or Calvin can tell you lots about the place and you'll feel more ready.
- I do usually bring some of my own mooching leaders. Buy the best ones you can get or make your own (only if so inclined and know you can do it well) and they will be better than what most lodges give you (sharper hooks, more reliable knots). No matter what, alway test them. Put them in the rod holder and pull hard - surprising how many the knot give way. If you test them you'll be fine even if you don't bring your own.
- If you are really ambitious buy a few sliding round weights. They are what the guides use,a dn better than the fixed mooching weights usually used by guests fishing alone. They can show you at the tackle shop, and if you feel like it you can try it up there.  Again not necesary but interesting to try if you feel like it.
- Talk to the lodge staff (all of them) a lot. They are all fishing crazy and will give advise happily.
- Talk to the other guests a lot. You can get great information, find new places, things to try. Most will be happy to tell you where they cautgh the big one, what depths they fished etc,.
- Bring a GPS if you have one. Last time I was there there were no GPSs in the boats. If the fog rolls in you will be glad to have one.
- My own personal safety comment is that I always have an infalteable vest on when on the water. If I take off my survial suit after playing a big spring  I still have the vest on. Know where the lefjackets are on the boats. Safety first.

I'm envious, have fun annd Good luck.