Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river steelhead.  (Read 21589 times)

costas

Vedder river steelhead.
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »

hi there....this is going to be my first year going steelhead fishing . and i am wondering what are some good spots on the vedder to fish for them???
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Vedder river steelhead.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

Pick up a Vedder river map at Fred's Custom Tackle.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

Hello Costas. Steelhead fishing is very enjoyable and has a lot of excitement to it! the river is not busy and you can enjoy a "real" day of fishing during DEC to may on the vedder. However if you read the "STEELHEAD SOON" post and also do a search you will find lots of discusions and techniques used. thats how I learned everything that I know and also by observing and by building relationships with other more experienced fisherman. i also made friends with the local Vancouver tackle shop and learned tons! All i do know as far as spots are concerned is that there is no magic or secret producing spots. Look for structure in the flow and fish the seems and pocket water behind rocks and logs. Fish everything!walk and fish,walk and fish and just like the instructions on the back of a shampoo bottle "repeat as necessary" although I have caught a couple steelhead i have never had success in hooking or landing a steely in the vedder and this year will be my 5th year trying!   :'( :'(. Still a ton of fun and I go as much as i can every year. I hope you don't have the same miss fortune as me. good luck  :)

costas

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »

ok thanks guys

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »

its fun hooking your first steely..it took me 3 seasons for mine but it sure gets damn cold that time of year...dress accordingly.

costas

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »

yeah....i sure hope it doent take that long for me to hoop my first one

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:56:58 AM »

Costa - The Steelhead is also refered to as the 'Fish of a thousand casts'!!  :)  I've been at it for three years now... still waiting for that first hit!   :(

But maybe, just maybe this year...  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »

How often do you guys fish for Steelhead, and how do you do it?
I've only been fishing them for 3 years... first year I only went out about 15 times and still hooked 3 landing one.
The last two years have been 15 +. The only way I can think of someone not touching one in 3 years is by fence posting in one run all day.

My only advice would be walk A HELL OF ALOT. Normally I'll cast right along the edge and cast out in 2 foot intervals all the way across, take about 10 or 15 steps and do it again. Eventually you wil be able to know what looks fishy and what doesnt so you can cover even more water. Watch where other people are hooking/catching fish regularally and mark that down in your head. If you catch a fish somewhere always go back as they like to sit in the same areas. Eventually you will build a circuit of places where you have seen or caught fish and then you can fish those everyday (last year me and a friend had one circuit going that we got a fish out of on over 80% of our trips).

Weather conditions, water levels, clarity can all effect where and how you fish. Lots of guys like to keep a journal or mark things down on a calender such as where they caught a fish, what time of day, weather and water condtions. Almost anything will work for Steelhead, my fav's are still Colorados (silver size 4), roe and prawns. Alot of this learning takes place on the water, the more you are out fishing the faster you will learn.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:12:06 PM by Every Day »

steelhead

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

Good advise guys ..............treat it like Hunting not just fishing. Ya gotta cover country.........!!!!!!!!!!!
2 of my favorite sayings ,,,,,  " you can't manufacture fish,,so keep moving"   and  " don't leave fish to find fish"

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »

How often do you guys fish for Steelhead, and how do you do it?
I've only been fishing them for 3 years... first year I only went out about 15 times and still hooked 3 landing one.
The last two years have been 15 +. The only way I can think of someone not touching one in 3 years is by fence posting in one run all day.

My only advice would be walk A HELL OF ALOT. Normally I'll cast right along the edge and cast out in 2 foot intervals all the way across, take about 10 or 15 steps and do it again. Eventually you wil be able to know what looks fishy and what doesnt so you can cover even more water. Watch where other people are hooking/catching fish regularally and mark that down in your head. If you catch a fish somewhere always go back as they like to sit in the same areas. Eventually you will build a circuit of places where you have seen or caught fish and then you can fish those everyday (last year me and a friend had one circuit going that we got a fish out of on over 80% of our trips).

Weather conditions, water levels, clarity can all effect where and how you fish. Lots of guys like to keep a journal or mark things down on a calender such as where they caught a fish, what time of day, weather and water condtions. Almost anything will work for Steelhead, my fav's are still Colorados (silver size 4), roe and prawns. Alot of this learning takes place on the water, the more you are out fishing the faster you will learn.
Agreed. I spent 3 years getting my first but lost a few in the process so the only way you can't touch a fish would be to fence post or fish all the popular runs where there are spooked fish. I love steelheading and am really looking foward to it  :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

costas

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice and comments guys....keep them comming :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »

Guys I'm sorry I just realized that last post seems a little harsh and belittling. I'm not trying to brag or put anyone down I just can't comprehend how you can go 3 years without a bite, guess just REALLY bad luck  :o

Hopefully everyone just takes that last post as advice for what can help you have a little more success. These are the things that have worked for me. Just a little more: In low, clear conditions fish the heads of runs and pocket water. The fish will sit in high oxygen areas, with lots of white bubbly water. Places like Tamahi, Thurston Meadows, or higher are good for that. In these conditions (especially if sunny) looks for structure as well like logs.

In high water- low vis conditions I have found 2 things to work. HUGE gobs of your "crappy roe" that you can waste and fishing anywhere from 1-5 feet out from the edge. Look for slower water, seams that wouldn't be there normally even if they are only 1-2 feet deep. Fish tailout and mid sections of your favorite runs as well. The fish will still be in there just closer to the edge avoiding fast water or down in the slower tailout. Places to fish during these conditions are around Peach, Lickman, or lower.

Like said before fish EVERYTHING. And keep fishing even if you think it may be impossible to catch a fish that day, some days these are the best days. I remember trying to get my fishing buddy to come with me 2 years ago on a day where there were 60 km/h winds and pissing rain sideways. He refused to go saying it wasnt worth it and I ended up hooking 5 fish in 3 hours. The same buddy also got me to stay out on a day where vis was only around 4" and I ended up with a fish in the first 20 casts. These days are great because there is no one out, the fish arnt spooked and probably havnt seen anything all day.

A little motivation (the fish that was caught in 4 icnhes of vis on a golfball size of roe 5 feet from the edge)

Good luck!
Dan

costas

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »

nice fish...and thanks for the advice ;D

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

Rules for new anglers this steelhead season:

-keep moving downstream, don't be a fence post

-be friendly and gentlemanly, this is one season we do not want to see 'gone to the dogs'

-never step into a run below another angler without asking first

-give fly fishers plenty of room so they can cast, both upstream and downstream

-pay strict attention to ethics, this is one area that established anglers will not likely tolerate (no flossing or snagging !!)

-never drag a steelhead onto the rocks unless you know it is missing it's adipose fin and you want to take it home

-play your fish quickly to avoid stressing it too much

-don't allow the fish to leave the water when landing it - flopping on the rocks damages their internal organs

-don't keep a fish out of the water too long for photos, be efficient, and release the fish quickly

-have fun! It ain't about the meat... And show us a photo if you get one this season, it will be a big accomplishment!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

costas

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 09:35:51 PM »

thanks...i realy hope i do get one ;Dit would be amassing