Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is The Flood Still Going To Happen  (Read 13808 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Is The Flood Still Going To Happen
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:36:45 AM »

I hope I am right but I have the feeling we have dodged the bullet on the 2007 flood here in the Valley or am I just lulled into it not happening as we heard so much hype the last month about it and it had not happened yet.

The temperatures in the high snow level areas have been quite cool so maybe the worse is yet to come. I was told a theory the other day that has happened, the ground did not freeze very hard this Winter before the snow fell so some of the melt is just going into the ground, not running off a quickly if the earth surface was sealed over.

Also a rancher says this has happened around Clinton, the snow melted and did not fill up his watering holes for his range cattle like it has in the past.

I guess we still have to wait and see and the gauge at South Fort George is on the rise again this morning and nearing 8 meters. It had reached 9 a while back during a period of heavy rain.

Anyway we should be ok for a few days so off to the lakes with "The Master" shortly as I can not catch that first chinook of the season, only one jack landed and one lost for 6 outing.

I am keeping my figures crossed on two counts, no flood and I catch more and a bigger fish than "The Master". ;D ;D ;D I guess a flood will happen before that. ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Is The Flood Still Going To Happen
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »

Hope you're right Chris but we'll know soon enough. They are predicting some high temperatures the next couple of days.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »

Still alot of snowpack left, Bulkley is just starting to flood. I don't think it will flood but it will get close ;)
Wishin I was Fishin

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

Thompson is rising. Also the Albion ferry has already announced that if the river hits 6m then it is small cars and foot passengers only. Fraser Health is now making sure that employees have their ID with them at all times as that is the only way that they are allowed to travel on dissaster routes as they have to reach the hospitals( my wife was informed today). We with the school board just get to sit at home  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:37:02 PM by fly_guy »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »

Hey fly I don't know which district you work for, but us Dist 43 ground pounders were all given those yellow labeles for our driver's licences (disaster responce). Yes we have been trained! You have to laugh though when you think that if there is a breech in the dike our command center will be 20ft under water. "Oh What To Do", follow protocall and make every effort to report to work or risk a written reprimand for staying home.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »

Hey fly I don't know which district you work for, but us Dist 43 ground pounders were all given those yellow labeles for our driver's licences (disaster responce). Yes we have been trained! You have to laugh though when you think that if there is a breech in the dike our command center will be 20ft under water. "Oh What To Do", follow protocall and make every effort to report to work or risk a written reprimand for staying home.

Dist 36. Transportation Failure. I guess if Maple Ridge becomes an Island the failure becomes true. The only problem is I need to get to work as some buildings we have are emergency social services sites. As far as I know the district and the union have no plans in place in case the buildings need to be used or if employees can not get to work. The health regions have had plans in place for awhile now. Employees that can not get to their hospital they will go to the nearest hospital that needs them the most.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

nosey

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 08:46:33 AM »

As of today the water still isn't high enough for really good creekmouth fishing yet, I guess we'll know in a week or so what's coming. I just hope the evening news will spare us the photos of that park in Prince George that goes under every time the water crests or the one in Kamloops that's on the flood plain there. Every time the snow pack is up we seem to get inudated with sensationalism from the media and all levels of government trying to appear like they are doing something. Face it, the spending in Stanley Park to repair the damages from last winters wind storm is going to be over 2 mil, the 33 million the province and federal government spent on dyke preparation for the whole province is just a drop in the bucket.
    As I can see the river looking out my front window, I sure hope I'm not eating my words a week from now.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 09:16:18 AM »

Look at the capilano, we've had like 10 days of sun and the damn is still filling up, there is lots of snow to come. Just hopefully not enough so that u guys can have it easy and just fish from ur balcony.  ;D But all joking aside we all want the snow to melt slowly!
Fish killer 101

thor

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »

Not looking promissing..............

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/rfc/river_forecast/Freshet2007/Forecasters_comments_03Jun2007_0800.pdf

If you haven't started to prepair, I would suggest doing so now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »

Cooling temperatures in Prince George today may save our bacon here in the Valley, lets also hope the rain stays away for the next few days in the upper reaches. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »

been pouring buckets for 2 days PG kelowna area.
Prince George Airport reports light rain the last few hours. Also river levels at South Fort George rose only 3 cm last 5 hours, and Hope the same so things are starting to improve. I surmise unless we get heavy rain the threat is nearly over. Looked at the bank near Old Orchard Road and a fair ways to get over the natural banks but there is some seepape going on. Of course tide could effect things in the Maple Ridge area, remember the media like to hype things to draw viewers. As one that freelances for Global TV I know that first hand. :o

Also another key is the temperature which is favorable, only 13 degrees at noon at PG. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:42:23 PM by chris gadsden »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:05:50 PM »

Prince George Airport reports light rain the last few hours. Also river levels at South Fort George rose only 3 cm last 5 hours, and Hope the same so things are starting to improve. I surmise unless we get heavy rain the threat is nearly over. Looked at the bank near Old Orchard Road and a fair ways to get over the natural banks but there is some seepape going on. Of course tide could effect things in the Maple Ridge area, remember the media like to hype things to draw viewers. As one that freelances for Global TV I know that first hand. :o

Also another key is the temperature which is favorable, only 13 degrees at noon at PG. ;D ;D

do you think its going to flood our area chris? i was positive it wasnt going to flood im not sure now, the water is nearly on the road at old orchard now. who knows in the next few days, the roads by catermole and the freeway are dykes as well as the freeway itself, there is seeping along the dyke by the vedder you can see quite a bit of water in the field there
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »

Kanaka creek area is like a lake as well as the stave. My wife took the Albion ferry today to get to work and she had to drive up the ramp instead of down the ramp to the ferry. The ferry workers where also preparing sand bags for the parking lot. The only dike by the ferry is the railway tracks. My house could flood but it all depends on how much rain we get this week and the tides and I don't live near the fraser but I am just off the Allouette.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:48:28 PM »

I donot think we have anything to worry about here where we live, for the reasons you mentioned. South Fort George gauge up .111 which is a little over 4 inches, in over 13 hours.

Hope, up a little over 3 inches in the same time period. Mission is up 10 inches but it could be because of the tidal effect, as the water nears the river mouth and backs up some. Of course you have the Vedder and Harrison that adds to the runoff, both being below the Hope gauge and will effect the Mission gauge.

I am no expert on how much the tide and being near the river estuary effects things.

Also in 1948, the big flood year the Mission gauge reached 8.2 we are now at 5.69 which is 8 feet lower than 1948's level, discharge rate was 15,300.

In 1972 another high water year Mission gauge was 7.4 so we have nearly 6 feet to reach that level. Discharge was 13,000. Right now it is 10,000

I have also talked to a few people in the know on the current situation and I will go out on a limb and say we will be okay here unless we get a lot of rain and warm temperatures in the next week or so. The flooding going on now is homes that do not have dyke protection The low temperatures have helped as well of course but maybe will be adding some snow pack for next year. ;D ;D

I have layed my cards on the table with these facts, time will tell if I win this poker game. ;D ;D

I have not checked the snow pillows throughout the province to see how the water content is doing, will later.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:47:33 AM by chris gadsden »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:21:27 PM »

Kanaka creek area is like a lake as well as the stave. My wife took the Albion ferry today to get to work and she had to drive up the ramp instead of down the ramp to the ferry. The ferry workers where also preparing sand bags for the parking lot. The only dike by the ferry is the railway tracks. My house could flood but it all depends on how much rain we get this week and the tides and I don't live near the fraser but I am just off the Allouette.

I dont think we have to worry about Kanaka. I live close to it. It gets that high and higher after we get substantial rain. The Fraser is still a ways away from the By-Pass so I dont think it well make too much of an impact going over the highway. Its up but not at a point to worry. I do believe that the By-Pass itself could get flooded from the Fraser as its lower down there.

As far as the tides go yes they make a difference as much as a 3 foot difference. The people on Wharf St that are right on the river and well most likely get flooded. The people across the street have a chance of getting flooded out as well. If it goes over the street it could effect about 200 homes.

The Albion could be shut down as early as Friday. I live 2 mins from the ferry and that river is raging. I have still seen boats on the river fishing though in the lower river. I couldnt believe it when I saw it but I did. I spoke to Randy at Hatchmatchr and he even told me they are doing well for sturgeon but I think they are just crazy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family