Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At last... My Time has come  (Read 5743 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
At last... My Time has come
« on: July 17, 2004, 08:07:29 AM »

And I can face, the long, long highway....

I'm off to black gold lodge tomorrow for 1 week. I cant wait to get my line wet. I'll report back next week and hopefully have some good pictures to show.

http://www.blackgoldlodge.com/

A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:At last... My Time has come
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 11:05:19 AM »

Have fun ! Wish I was going !

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 11:56:24 AM »

Good for U big M, congrat's. You are going to have so much fun while the rest of are slaving away at our jobs. You deserve it and I hope you knock em' dead. By the way, love your flag, Ieee matey! ;D

ham

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 02:58:29 PM »

I hope you have the luck that we did. It is the trip of a life time. ;D

Mabelingwane

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 08:35:48 AM »

Well I got back on Friday in this heat, and all I can say about my trip is….. IT WAS FREAKING FANTASTIC !!! The weather was good, and as for the fishing, it was far more than what I expected it to be. We caught so many fish, that after the 3rd day, every muscle in my arms and shoulders were paining every time there was a strike. I didn’t manage to get a Tyee, but got very close with a 23LB Chinook. We did mange to get our names on the board with a 14.1 LB Coho so now we are members of the Coho masters club in Black Gold Lodge. On average, The fish did not weigh less than 10LB's. The pinks are huge!and the coho fight like beasts.... great fun..

IF I can suggest to anyone, I would say you need to save the $ and go up on a trip. The accommodations are great, The boats are great, and the crew and staff are amazing. You will ask for nothing. Before you can think of asking for bait or gas, etc, It is already done for you. They even have a hot tub on the floating lodge.

We were a party of 4, and managed to be with 3 fish from being maxed out of our limit. The various species we managed to bagged were, Pink, Coho, Chinook, Lingcod, and some rock fish. In total 145LB’s of fish is in my freezer. So now I want to smoke some, anyone know a good place to get this done?

I will post my pictures when they are sorted out.
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:52:25 AM »

Here's a couple for your consideration:

St. Jean's Cannery and Smokehouse
(604) 270-3384

Granville Island Smokery Ltd.
(604) 684-4114

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 03:46:27 PM »

only here... :)

Randog

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 05:19:34 PM »

Say Hello to My neighbour and owner Jim Rough

Mabelingwane

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 07:41:08 AM »

Fish 4 Life...

I was just a suprised at you when the lead guide was telling us that there were so many Pinks around. But he said that you can get pinks in the odd years in Cambell river, they just dont come down to Vancouver..

Randog.... are you the one that just baught that huge boat? I've been to Jim's house lot's, and noticed a while back that his neighbour had a big boat in his yard.

Mabelingwane

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 08:02:49 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention, and I found it hilerious... The lodge has two way radios on there boats, and the first time I heard this I thought it to be some kinda native ritual or something.. The typical native melody and tune to a song that someone was singing on the radio..

I am still getting used to the accents and the way of talking and after the second or third time the song was sung, Only then did I realise what was being sung.... I cracked up with laughter.

cooooohhhoooohhhhhoo, Tyyyeeeeyyyyyeeee, piiinnnkkkkkk, Chummhummmm....Halibbbuuuuttttt,

This song is stuck in my mind now... It was great.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 11:27:36 AM »

Yoshi's is a great smoke house that I have used lots over the years, its behind capilano mall ...well closer to the West Coast exprss yard.  They have a few retail outlets too (Robson and thurlow is probably the best know).

I highly recommend them if the N. Shore isnt too much of a drive 4 U.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 12:53:46 PM »

I believe Yoshi's is closed.

Anyway the best two place I know of are both in Maple Ridge

http://www.bruces.ca/ their double smoked has to be tasted to be believed it's ambrosial.

For Lox and Hot Smoked
http://www.oceanmasterfood.com/

Glad to hear you had a fine time-believe it or not there are many places with even more fish & much better scenery than Rivers Inlet!