Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Left or Right hand Baitcasting reel?  (Read 15999 times)

target

Left or Right hand Baitcasting reel?
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »

I want to try baitcasting this year but do not know if I should buy a left or right hand baitcasting reel.
I am a right hand guy. When I use spinning reels, I cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left hand.
I did research on internet about baitcasting and found that most of the anglers cast with their right hand, pass the rod to the left hand and retrieve with their right hand. Is that the correct way to do baitcasting? What is the benefit to do it that way?
Should I buy a right hand baitcasting reel to do it that way or a left hand one to keep the way as I handle the spinning reel?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Left or Right hand Baitcasting reel?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:44:13 PM »

There is no correct way. It's all personal preference. I cast right and retrieve left with my spinning rod. I cast left with the baitcaster and retrieve right.

fishtruck

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »

There's no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of preference. I too am right handed, but use left handed spinning and baitcasting reels. Personally I like the fact that I can fish as soon as my line hits the water, and that I'm using my stronger hand to handle the rod. Just go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »

I m all confused now i can't remember what hand i reel with, ive never though about this.  ??? Just been second nature since i was a kid.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »

I think its silly to hold the rod in the right hand to cast, then switch it to thier left hand so they can reel in. Why not hold the rod in your dominate hand for casting and retrieving? Maybe then people will not be doing wild casts into trees and tangling with other anglers  :P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

MoeJKU

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

I think its silly to hold the rod in the right hand to cast, then switch it to thier left hand so they can reel in. Why not hold the rod in your dominate hand for casting and retrieving? Maybe then people will not be doing wild casts into trees and tangling with other anglers  :P
Good point, it seems like every year people seem to get worse at casting.  guys chucking spinners and foam floats  hitting poeple on the other side. I was just joking before i say what ever had you have better control over your cast use that one.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

x2

the dominate hand should hold the rod for support and the weaker hand should be the one cranking on the retrieve...i find it silly too to see guys constantly switching back and forth.

target

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »

By the way, is Abu Garcia 6501 C3 reel and Fenwick Canadian Methods CMST 1102M  rod a good combination (function and price) for Vedder River?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:44:30 PM by target »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

In the olden days, all baitcasters and fly reels were made for right-hand retrieve only.

In 1970, Abu Garcia introduced the first left-hand retrieve baitcaster into the market, the venerable Ambassadeur 5001C.

Since then, most manufacturers jumped on the left-hand retrieve wagon because it is indeed natural to cast and hold the rod with your dominant hand and reel in with the other one. Today you can find pretty much any modern baitcaster in both left- and right hand retrieve models.

I prefer a left-hand retrieve, but I like to fish old vintage Ambassadeurs, so I am often "forced" to retrieve with my right hand. Oh, well, I am fairly ambidextrous so it is not really a big deal.

As stated before, there is no right or wrong way, just what feels natural to you.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »

Im one of those guys who cast and reel in with the same hand. Someone asked me the other day when they saw me doing this why I just don't get a left handed reel. I then started to think to myself, why I hadn't in the first place, But then I realized I don't even notice myself shifting hands when I fish. But for some unknown reason my right arm is stronger, and I can fish longer days if I keep it this way.
The Bigger The Better!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »

In the olden days, all baitcasters and fly reels were made for right-hand retrieve only.

In 1970, Abu Garcia introduced the first left-hand retrieve baitcaster into the market, the venerable Ambassadeur 5001C.

Beauty reel Milo ;) If that is the one we traded for, it caught a ton of fish, and looks like it could land a few more!

Animal Chin

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »

If I were you I'd go with the same setup as your spinning reel. As others have suggested just do what comes natural, it's like being goofy or regular footed when you surf, skate, or snowboard.

haha.. I had the same argument with my buddy about this. He only spins and is a left hand retrieve and thinks my right hand retrieve is illogical. I tell him my way is the "classical" way.

Gross motor vs fine motor. If you're right handed your right hand has greater dexterity, therefore should be the retrieving hand. The left just holds the rod and heaves. I think I have the better argument.

fishtruck

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »

Seems like you have decided on a left hand reel(6501). I have a Fenwick HMX  rod(10'6")and find it to be far better than the Methods rod. It's worth the difference in price . And the good thing is that Berrys has it on sale for $89.99. It's virtually the same price as the Method

Suther

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

Cast right hand,  retrieve right hand. Because right is my dominant hand I have more power to cast which means longer casts. Also, I have more control on my retrieve because my right hand is more used to doing finesse activities like varying retrieve speed. Also have better dexterity in the right hand, so i can retrieve more/longer. Holding the rod and setting the hook hardly requires finesse or power, my left hand is plenty good enough for that.

target

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »

Fishtruck,

Yes. I think I will try left handed reel first becaust I get used to retrieve with my left hand. Berry does not have Fenwick HMX  rod(10'6") on hand now.

Thanks for you guys help.