Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's with the moderating?  (Read 15953 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: What's with the moderating?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »

Remember in a psy. book in college that had a one picture cartoon.

Sitting around a big round table were a farmer, an alien ( from some other planet ) entertainer,mayor,small kid, fitness instructor,mother that had 10 kids ,muslim & a christian preacher etc...& the person in charge asked "What is truth?"

That was never in any of my psychology texts. :)

salmonlover

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »

I am not sure I can agree with you. I think this forum doesn't suffer from racism and bigotry. Maybe some individuals here are racists and bigots, but you are wrong in painting the whole forum as a collective with that brush. If anything, I find that this forum has been quite successful in helping anglers belonging to visible minorities integrate better into the sport as practiced in BC.

I judge people only on the basis of their behaviour towards others. Skin colour, religion, education level and social status are completely irrelevant.

I didn't say everyone on here are racist and bigots. It is a stretch to say majority? there has always been more nays then yeahs when it comes to the natives on here. I know you yourself have tried to educate as well as sandman and hotrod and as well as others. but why theses threads are still allowed to be made is pointless. whether or not you agree with it its their right, and nothing should be carried on about their right on here. if you cannot understand that then you're not necessarily a racist, but a bigot.

I don't have a negative view towards this site and realize it does help, but there are certain things I wish they wouldnt allow. guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »

Geez... I'm not racist, really. I just hate everyone.
 Call me lazy, but I'm in Europe right now, so my time on the forum is limited.

OK, OK...enjoy your vacation, you little Confucian misanthropist.  ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

Fish Assassin ; yep that cartoon was in the 1977 Psy 100 student hardback course book,but only 2 characters alien & farmer from memory were in the cartoon , maybe a hippie ...the other characters I made up.
 :)
2nd Milo's post. Rodney have a good time with your family in Europe.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »

Some recent censoring and moderating decisions where whole threads have been removed although they contained what I consider relevant information make me shake my head.
It is frustrating to spend time writing up stuff only to find it gone a few hours later, photos and everything.

Although it is ultimately up to the site owner to decide what goes and what stays and we as members (especially non-paying ones) have litle to no say in it, it would be nice if whoever decided to vaporize a thread locked it first with an accompanying explanation. That way we would know which comment or photo "crossed the line".

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

And don't low-hole me.  ;D
Agree. Should be some explanation as to the why certain threads get completely deleted. This is censorship at its worst. Hey Rod ,do you not have more persons moderating this site, then yourself? Being in Europe is a poor excuse for what has happened on here lately. :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »

No we don't provide a reason publicly when a thread is removed.

This is how we roll on FWR.

1son

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »

LOL straight BOSS.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »

Yep... ;)

I mean, it's an online discussion forum... If you really want an explanation why your post is deleted when you are calling someone an idiot/m-o-r-o-n/retard, then perhaps this forum is not the ideal communication platform you are looking for.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »

No we don't provide a reason publicly when a thread is removed.

Okay. Before u delete this thread, enjoy your vacation!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

Yep... ;)

I mean, it's an online discussion forum... If you really want an explanation why your post is deleted when you are calling someone an idiot/m-o-r-o-n/retard, then perhaps this forum is not the ideal communication platform you are looking for.

What about other posters on the thread? Tolerable collateral damage?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »

What about other posters on the thread? Tolerable collateral damage?

For the last two threads, pretty much unfortunately. Usually I do catch the bad posts right away and delete them. The thread I removed yesterday had two pages of posts needed to be edited. I started with one, then I just moved the whole thread instead. Sometimes I do go back and work on those threads if I think the topic has some important value and move them back to the public archive.

This ain't FlyBC you know! ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »

The recent threads were moved to the private section because the posts just took too long to edit by the time I looked at them.

I did warn people didn't I... this ain't a blog

Ian Forbes

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

what I find comical, threads like the one tex started get deleted or the one about asians not having licenses gets locked. Yet you can look through the history of this forum and see countless topics about first nations being allowed to go on and on and on and on. Especially last year a certain thread was promoting nothing but hatred and prejudice. why is racism and bigotry allowed to go on and on about them? makes me wonder if this mods have the same feeling towards these people. this isnt me stirring up trouble or being a troll. this is a truly valid opinion and nothing else. explanation?

It is not bigotry or racism when it is true. And, it's not the fault of either the "supposed" racist or the First Nations person. It is the fault of the governments we've chosen to make the decisions for us. When you treat people like children and remove all responsibility from them then it lowers their standards to the lowest common denominator. Children with no supervision act in the most basic manner possible. Read the book "Lord of the Flies" and you will see what I mean.

fish bonk

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »

Wow Rod keep up the excellent work you do. Some people Thrive on debate and being "right at all cost" they are exhausting people to be around. Who likes someone who has to argue about everything.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »

Some recent censoring and moderating decisions where whole threads have been removed although they contained what I consider relevant information make me shake my head.
It is frustrating to spend time writing up stuff only to find it gone a few hours later, photos and everything.

Although it is ultimately up to the site owner to decide what goes and what stays and we as members (especially non-paying ones) have litle to no say in it, it would be nice if whoever decided to vaporize a thread locked it first with an accompanying explanation. That way we would know which comment or photo "crossed the line".

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

And don't low-hole me.  ;D

Just a guess Milo; but when you openly admit wanting to engage in criminal assault (because someone waded too close to you on a public river no less) then maybe you crossed a line? Seriously man, I've met you on the river. Why would you even consider snagging someone in the skin with hook? (shaking my head).