Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitt River Fishing Reports?  (Read 15975 times)

Sam6140

Pitt River Fishing Reports?
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »

Hey guys,

I was wondering why there's never any reports with respects to the Pitt River.  There are always reports of the tidal Fraser, Stave, Alouette, Vedder, etc.  Is it because no one fishes the Pitt River?  Is it the same type of fishing as the Fraser?  It is a pretty nearby river, with pretty decent water quality (especially closer to Pitt Lake).

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Pitt River Fishing Reports?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:08 AM »

People dont want another quiet peaceful river to be turned into a beek filled snag fest, like any other river that gets talked about on this forum.  If you want to know what the fishing is like on the Pitt River, I would go fishing...

doja

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:10 AM »

People dont want another quiet peaceful river to be turned into a beek filled snag fest, like any other river that gets talked about on this forum.  If you want to know what the fishing is like on the Pitt River, I would go fishing...

HAHA, peaceful.... ??? Maybe the upper pitt but not the lower... lots of jets skies and party boaters ripping about.

I've seen fish jump... give it a go. Same as the fraser from what I can tell.

Sam6140

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:10:23 AM »

Well Daumzilla, thanks for your friendly post.  I have fished the Pitt - only twice, and both times were this month.  But unfortunately, I only keep catching large Pikeminnows - at least none were small.   I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it and had success.  Would like to know if I'm wasting my time.   And I hardly think that the Lower Pitt River is a secret, whether or not the fishing is good.   Like I said before, it's in the neighborhood, and a tributary of the Fraser River.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »

Well Daumzilla, thanks for your friendly post.  I have fished the Pitt - only twice, and both times were this month.  But unfortunately, I only keep catching large Pikeminnows - at least none were small.   I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it and had success.  Would like to know if I'm wasting my time.   And I hardly think that the Lower Pitt River is a secret, whether or not the fishing is good.   Like I said before, it's in the neighborhood, and a tributary of the Fraser River.
No, you are not certainly wasting your time. Although I have not fished the lower Pitt for several years, when the kids were smaller we would pack up our lawn chairs, bar rod holders and drown roe for dollies/bullies (or whatever they heck they are...) May and June were my preferred months however into June the freshet does limit shoreline fishing access, esp on the flood tide.

We usually caught fish, sometimes lots, and sometimes big hoggies. Two memorable ones were well in excess of 5 pounds.  One of which was caught by my then 7 year old son on his little closed faced Zebco reel. Man, did that reel screech during that fight.                 

Honestly, I was a little troubled by fishing with roe as the fish would swallow the bait if and I would need to cut the leader. Intend to experiment with circle hooks if/when I start going again.

doja

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »

Clarki, good point about bait and deep hooking as I believe the OP is a C&R guy for the most part.

I have had success with lures with a bit of scent or even a anise scented jension ball\egg thing put on the hook or just above it. This way they don't get a chance to get deep-hooked but help with water clarity. I also dislike fishing with roe for the same reasons... Scented fly's may also work if that's your thing.

there is also whitefish but a small fly would work best I think

Preliator

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »

Is it possible to cast a fly around the Lower Pitt? I'm new to flyfishing and am looking to get my line wet... hoping to find some access where I can make a good backcast.

Sam6140

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

Preliator:  Would you be fishing from shore?

Preliator

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »

Yes i will be Sam

Sam6140

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »

Preliator: Sorry about the long delay.  I forgot about this post! :(    Yes, you can definitely fly fish.  I've seen others do it.  Just as long as you have waders, boots, etc.  I have never fly fished before.  A pretty good spot would be the end of Harris Rd where the dyke is.  Just go over the dyke, through the long grass, and get to the water.  You might need a machete lol.

Sam6140

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 03:29:58 AM »

I just found this fairly recent video clip of these guys fishing the Lower Pitt River, and catching Salmon:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YF-TVnbQ30
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:36:47 AM by Sam6140 »

fetoid

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

I just found this fairly recent video clip of these guys fishing the Lower Pitt River, and catching Salmon:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YF-TVnbQ30

Uploaded by jordonrive on Nov 15, 2010

Copper Koski

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »

Just a reminder that there is no retention of salmon in the Pitt system. Even hatchery marked fish, unless stated otherwise.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

Just a reminder that there is no retention of salmon in the Pitt system. Even hatchery marked fish, unless stated otherwise.

That would not be the case in the tidal portion below the CPR bridge...effective July 16, that is.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

Quote from Duamzilla Nov 13 2009 ; wow i started quite a firestorm with my comment, probably should have kept that one to myself.  I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, kinda grumpy after getting skunked 3 days in a row, and thinking my salmon season was over.  But its nice to see how the thread has taken off in a completely different direction.  I have spent countless days walking local rivers, spending more time driving aroung looking for spots to fish than actual fishing, talking to locals trying to pick their brain, asking questions, talking to guys at tackle shops, etc, etc.  My point being everyting I have been through has made me a better fisherman, and more in touch with my local fishing community. I owe alot of my fishing success to this site.  It's an excellent resource for a newbie salmon fisheman to learn the local rivers, techniques, etc..  Without FWR I would not have the knowledge and the confidence in my fishing abilities that I have today. ;D :o

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."