Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait Ban in affect- BUT  (Read 14062 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Bait Ban in affect- BUT
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

So Milo and I went out fishing yesterday. On our home we drove over the Mission bridge. I noticed a bunch of bar fishermen under the bridge. I said to him " Did you know their was a bait ban in affect? " he answered yes as you told me. So that brought me to this question. How is every angler supposed to know that it is in place right now? I bet those fishermen had no clue that it was in affect otherwise they wouldnt be doing it. Its not like their are any signs posted anywhere. The only reason I knew was because I saw it on my Facebook the other day. Should anglers be checking the updated regs online everyday before going fishing? What if an angler does not have internet access? Lots of old timers do not even use a computer, what options do they have? Should they be visiting a tackle shop every time they head out? What if the tackle shops are closed ( I know many are closed on Sundays )

Should these fishermen under the bridge be ticketed? My answer is no.

How hard would it be for every angler to be emailed the in season changes? Once every anglers email has been entered in all it takes is one email which would take no more than a couple minutes to get them the updated regs. For those with no internet access the only way I can see them knowing is by word of mouth.

Thoughts?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Bait Ban in affect- BUT
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »

It is the responsibility of every angler to know the current regulations BEFORE they go fishing. If you don't know, don't fish. Saying you don't have internet access or that you didn't know is a poor excuse at best.

Burbot

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

Didn't MFO/DFO at one time put up physical posters when regs changed?

It is the responsibility of every angler to know the current regulations BEFORE they go fishing. If you don't know, don't fish. Saying you don't have internet access or that you didn't know is a poor excuse at best.

That is true to an extent but what about in season changes? is one suppose to call the tackle shop or DFO before they go out? What if they are closed? Does that mean one better not go fishing in case the regs were changed?   Yes there are many older people that do not even know how to use a computer either or have one.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

One fishing buddy of mine calls the Berrys Bait hotline for in season changes, or asks at the tackle shop etc.
Not perfect better than nothing.
Maybe warnings can be issued, or as in the past signs posted in popular access areas as well.
But we all know its up to each angler to be up to date, even when enforcement often isnt.
There are so many updates for every region tidal and fresh, I wouldn't want that tsunami in my email inbox.

chronicfisher

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »

People who have internet should join a fishing forum like this one.i'm fairly new to fishing but I find this site very helpful.I find that everytime there is a bait ban some members will inform others of what's going on via a forum topic like this, also lets you know of what is allowed and not allowed for the baitban.before I go fishing I always try my best to look  up the regs and understand them.I think they should make a lil booklet or pamphlet that should be given out to people when they purchase their license.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

People who have internet should join a fishing forum like this one.i'm fairly new to fishing but I find this site very helpful.I find that everytime there is a bait ban some members will inform others of what's going on via a forum topic like this, also lets you know of what is allowed and not allowed for the baitban.before I go fishing I always try my best to look  up the regs and understand them.I think they should make a lil booklet or pamphlet that should be given out to people when they purchase their license.

Anyone without internet access has access to the internet through their local library, my wife would be happy to show you how, so that is no excuse.  It is not the DFOs responsibility to send you a personal update.  They post the information online and it is your responsibility to check before you go fishing.  They do still post physical posters, but these are probably fewer and further between with all the cutbacks.  They DO provide a booklet which you can pickup when you buy your license, but perhaps vendors could could hand them out with each license instead of relying on you to pick it up, however that does not help with the in season changes.  The bottom line is that regulations change frequently and if you want to fish in today's world, you need to educate yourself on how to keep abreast of those changes or risk breaking the law.  Ignorance is still no excuse.
Not all those who wander are lost

wizard

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »

Just got back from checking out the river on tidal side and DFO was out with two trucks heavily enforcing the bait ban/fishing regulations. A couple people got nailed it looked like.
Like others have said already it's your responsibility as a fishermasn with a valid license to know in season changes exist, especially on fraser this time of year.  Ignorance is such a lame excuse, people caught using bait on bait banned rivers I have no sympathy for. If you don't know, don't fish. not that hard. 
Officer also told me all bait is included in the ban, including all baits for sturgeon fishing, chub fishing etc. if it's bait it's not allowed.   

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »

So Milo and I went out fishing yesterday. On our home we drove over the Mission bridge. I noticed a bunch of bar fishermen under the bridge. I said to him " Did you know their was a bait ban in affect? " he answered yes as you told me. So that brought me to this question. How is every angler supposed to know that it is in place right now? I bet those fishermen had no clue that it was in affect otherwise they wouldnt be doing it. Its not like their are any signs posted anywhere. The only reason I knew was because I saw it on my Facebook the other day. Should anglers be checking the updated regs online everyday before going fishing? What if an angler does not have internet access? Lots of old timers do not even use a computer, what options do they have? Should they be visiting a tackle shop every time they head out? What if the tackle shops are closed ( I know many are closed on Sundays )

Should these fishermen under the bridge be ticketed? My answer is no.

How hard would it be for every angler to be emailed the in season changes? Once every anglers email has been entered in all it takes is one email which would take no more than a couple minutes to get them the updated regs. For those with no internet access the only way I can see them knowing is by word of mouth.

Thoughts?

Of course they should be ticketed.  You said a "bunch" of bar fishermen.  Surely one or some of them know the updated regs.  Smartphones, iphones, internet, telephones, tackle shops...plenty of ways to find out the regs.  Word gets around fast with "oldtimers" as well.

As others have said ignorance is no excuse.  If it is it applies to the people fishing with worms and keeping smolts at Capilano as well because i'm sure they are ignorant to the regs.

I'm wondering if your post was a joke?  :-\

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »

Plus the fact it goes into effect about this time every year ???

Fillibert

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

Even the website is confusing once you're up there. I don't always even know what the place I'm fishing is called. They should do an interactive site where you click on the location you are fishing and it brings up all the info on that body of water just like the legend on a map. Possibly with cute little icons to represent each limitation at any time. Make it simple to understand even to people who don't speak English.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »

There are a fair amount of people that fish that do not often go online or even if they do, they don't check for inseason reg changes before every outing to the river.

However, there are probably more people that do hear about inseason changes online. Between dfo's site, online tackle shop reports, fishing forums, facebook etc the word spreads fast.  If everyone that is aware of changes helps spread the word by telling their friends and people on the river, news travels pretty fast.

I absolutely agree it is the responsibility of every angler to know the current regulations BEFORE they go fishing but if you are aware and take the time to mention to other fishing friends or people on the river in conversation and it will help get the word out.

In season changes are one issue because they can change on a days notice. What drives me nuts are people that don't check the everyday regs at all for the river/lake they are fishing. I have had to correct a lot of people lately on regs that are not changes but everyday rules.

Officer also told me all bait is included in the ban, including all baits for sturgeon fishing, chub fishing etc. if it's bait it's not allowed.   

Not true. The notice says "You may not use bait when fishing for salmon. You can still fish for sturgeon with bait, thats the only way to fish for them.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »

Of course they should be ticketed.  You said a "bunch" of bar fishermen.  Surely one or some of them know the updated regs.  Smartphones, iphones, internet, telephones, tackle shops...plenty of ways to find out the regs.  Word gets around fast with "oldtimers" as well.

As others have said ignorance is no excuse.  If it is it applies to the people fishing with worms and keeping smolts at Capilano as well because i'm sure they are ignorant to the regs.

I'm wondering if your post was a joke?  :-\

Nope not a joke at all. I am saying that the ministry in charge needs to do a better job of getting the information to the anglers. The better they are informed the less margin for error. I dont feel badly for the younger generation getting ticketed for not knowing as the younger generation has no excuse for not checking online. My problem is the older generation that never got into the new technological world.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »

I'd highly suggest contacting a dfo authority and asking first hand about sturgeon fishing with bait before you go out.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

.I think they should make a lil booklet or pamphlet that should be given out to people when they purchase their license.

The do make a booklet one for tidal and another one for non-tidal. The non-tidal one is the size of a magazine and the tidal one is the size of roughly about 4"x6" booklet style. Every place that sells a fishiing licence will have them but the problem is that the Government only prints so many copies and once they are gone then thats it till the followiing year. The other issue is that the booklets are good for 3 seasons so any regulation changes that come up one year will not be printed in next years booklet but it will be in there when they print out a new version. I know from first hand experience that tackle shops, well the one that I waas at any wways, will inform their customers to make sure to check the fisheries web site for any in season changes before they go out. They also will post on a board in their store about the changes to regulations.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

lovetofish

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »

These people were bar fishing.  So what. You don't have to use bait when bar fishing for springs. Generally a spin and glow is all that is needed. The only time I have used bait when bar fishing was years ago when we could fish for coho.
 In fact, we were bar fishing today, without bait, and it is perfectly legal. Too bad the fish didn't like the  idea.