Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Ice off  (Read 15000 times)

strobes

Re: Kawkawa Ice off
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

Well we just left kawkawa and it was not a complete failure. There were half a dozen or so other boats on the lake and from the others we talked to they had no action. We tried all levels of water, trolling, and just dropping our krill straight down. We were able to catch one nice little Kokanee but that was it. The worst part of the day came when we got back to the boat launch to see some dead and gutted kokanees that were just tossed back in the water, a sad waste.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

colin6101

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

Wow I can't imagine why anyone would do that.  That is such a waste and I hope someone left them behind by accident because I honestly can't think of any reason for tossing back dead fish you can legally keep. I've definitely seen that with salmon before but that was people harvesting them for their roe.

strobes

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »

They were definitely not left by accident. One was tossed about 15 feet off the launch and the other about 10. It is such a waste.

Fisherama

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »

A buddy and I headed up to Kawkawa today as well, but we didn't really know what we were doing and got skunked.  Didn't sound like others were having much luck either...  Thought I saw Rod leaving early in the morning  :D but might have been mistaken.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 12:30:02 AM »

I wish it was me, but our first trip will have to wait just a bit longer. ;D :-\

We've had a couple of frustrating days like this. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to spend a bit of time at each spot and fish the bottom until you find fish. Sometimes a small move would change from no fish to the discovery of a big school of biting fish. 30 to 45ft have been best for us when they are not at the top.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »

Heading out tomorrow, let you know how I do.

strobes

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »

Hey fisherama what where you fishing out of. Were you the guys using the downriggers in the green boat?  I have also decided that I am blaming yesterday's poor results on the supermoon. :)

Fisherama

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

No we were the two guys struggling to fit into an 8ft inflatable and who were too lazy to row more than 100 ft past the dock  :D

Butch1949

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »

Good of you to report Strobes, can't believe someone would treat such beautiful fish as these or any for that manner in such a manner as to cast a doubt on Humanity
"I don't catch fish"

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »

Unfortunately I didn't end up going, dad was too tired to wake up in the morning  ::)  :-\

Ned

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »

Wound up there today - what a gorgeous day! Didn't get past the pier, but talked to several boaters coming back in. In all, 1 boat had one Kokanee. Others still out there (float tubers) had some success. Beautiful spot, and they were jumping ...

fishgutz63

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

got out today lots of fish jumping and feeding about 15 to 20 feet trolling san juan worm  landed five lost many more .great day  many others out there doing well also  , get out there if you can you wont be disappointed  :)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »

Any recent reports?

Butch1949

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »

Fishgutz63, I've been out on Kawkawa a few times where it seemed like 1,000 fish surfacing and jumping simultaneously, not one bite ??? ???
"I don't catch fish"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »

When they're jumping all around the boat, you need to be either float fishing with krill just several feet below the surface or fly fish with a small chironomid pattern under an indicator.