Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Photos of Wild Steelhead and Ethics  (Read 14887 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Photos of Wild Steelhead and Ethics
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

What a great looking steelie you got Tex. Congrats. Was that pic posted before? Forget it, you probably get nailed for showing the spot too clearly...  ;D

I respect Greybark's concern for wild steelie. We should treat the fish with respect. Hey we depend on them for brood stock which gives us the hatch steelies for dinner.  ;D

But there is a fine line we walk as sport fishermen engaging in a fun but 'violent' sport and the objection of the animal rights folks. Too much worry for the welfare of the animal/fish, we may be stepping into the other camp slowly w/o realizing it. Didn't a former avid fisherman who is a famous broadcaster publicly stated that he was giving up the sport of fishing because he could no longer justify.......... (you know what). Posting a quick pic like Tex's is perfectly fine. Those few seconds won't kill a fish. They are a tough animal. How many of us have caught fish with big seal wounds or bad net marks which still have the aggressiveness to bite our presentation.

So try not to create another scenario of finger pointing or me right you wrong stuff, and every fish picture gets examined with a microscope for water drops, with the poor poster cross-examined for proper handling. If so pretty soon no one wants to share their fishing memories on a public domain like this. My humble 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:22:20 PM by Steelhawk »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »

Nice pic, Tex!
A helluva photographic job and a great memory.

I wonder who the camera operator was...;)

Some crotchety old bugger who I haven't been fishing with in faaaaaaar too long.  You around this weekend, Milo-man?  I'm gonna go chuck the spey on one of the days I think.
:D
Tex

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

What a great looking steelie you got Tex. Congrats. Was that pic posted before? Forget it, you probably get nailed for showing the spot too clearly...  ;D

Yep, I've posted that photo before.  Unless it's truly a "secret" spot (which very very very few places on the Vedder are), or unless it's shown to me by a fellow angler who'd like to keep it quiet-ish, I don't mind posting them at all.  I've got a thick skin, and don't care if others get upset about it. 

Plus, that photo was taken a few years ago anyhow, so the run has totally changed and may not even hold many fish these days.  ;)

Thanks for the kudos though!  Hope to see ya on the water one day.
Tex
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:32:50 PM by Tex »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »

Nice pic, Tex!
A helluva photographic job and a great memory.

I wonder who the camera operator was...;)

Some crotchety old bugger who I haven't been fishing with in faaaaaaar too long.  You around this weekend, Milo-man?  I'm gonna go chuck the spey on one of the days I think.
Tex

Tad and I are heading out on Saturday. Be at my place at 5:30 AM. I'll show you some sweet spey water.

Plus, that photo was taken a few years ago anyhow, so the run has totally changed and may not even hold many fish these days.

Totally true. All that area has changed considerably in the last couple of years. That particular stretch doesn't even look like that anymore. And it is mostly unproductive. But the Vedder regulars know plenty well where to walk from there these days...a 15-20 minute hike can take them to some really nice new runs. ;)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:52:44 PM by milo »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »

Grey Bark, did not mean to be too caustic, I don't usually get too worked up about stuff on here, but I do get tired of anglers debating over certain issues. Maybe I am wrong but I think that most anglers on here are quite educated on fish handling, maybe not, but now people are gonna be thinking twice before posting their photos, "is there water coming off of my fish?? maybe I can photoshop some droplets in there?" I see where you are coming from and I mean no disrespect, just my opinion.

greybark

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »

Hey Hue-nut , No problem  and I appreciate you took the time to post -  cheers

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

cool buddy, we all can sharpen each other in one way or another.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

You don't have to lift the fish out of the water for great pic's Smaller ones handled properly won't be affected as much as larger ones...You need to use common sense when you get a bigger one...Then I think you need to handle with care!!!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:46:06 PM by Xgolfman »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »

I think Milo did even better with his under water camera shot, with the whole wild steelie totally submerged. He won the best steelie photo shot with that one.  ;D So he may be the most ethical of us all.  ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, I think we should stay away from me-right you-wrong as much as possible on a public forum especially on grey areas. Most experienced fishermen especially those who are regulars here know how to handle fish properly and their preferences should be respected. Otherwise we are creating too many scenarios of holier-than-thou attitude in all aspects of fishing. We just saw one post a week ago when some one questioned if one can use the feet to stop a landed fish from breaking for freedom. There is no end going down this road and there will be no peace in this forum.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:20:19 AM by Steelhawk »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am very new to this site and would like to post this topic(fisherman training) under general discussion but can figure out how.
Anyways this discussion as do many others makes me think that sport fishing should be a privilege like hunting is.  I have always thought that it would be a good idea if people had to take a course to qualify for the great privilege of fishing in BC.  At lease ESPECIALLY for steel head ( unless you are guided).
I can tell you countless horror stories of bad fish handling and severe disregard to regulation that just make me sick.
I do like to get a photo of a fish and my photos are quick, done with a buddy like most of the above.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »

I think Milo did even better with his under water camera shot, with the whole wild steelie totally submerged. He won the best steelie photo shot with that one.  ;D So he may be the most ethical of us all.  ;D ;D ;D

You mean kinda like this one?

As for him being the most ethical of us all... no way!  He's the most despicable, poor-fish-handling, barbed-hook-fishing, bait-chucking arsehole I've ever met.

And I'm going fishing with him on Saturday.  ;)
Tex

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

As for him being the most ethical of us all... no way!  He's the most despicable, poor-fish-handling, barbed-hook-fishing, bait-chucking arsehole I've ever met.
And I'm going fishing with him on Saturday.  ;)
Tex

Which means you COULD get some pictures like these:

Or, if the water is really clear something like this:

Or, if everything comes together (location, clarity, light) maybe we could end up shooting a video like this one:

Although I try to make underwater pics whenever possible, I still think there is no harm in lifting the fish out of the water for a couple of seconds to take a quick hero shot, except when the fish is too big...in that case...better leave it in the water as Paul suggested.

Cheers,

Milo
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:28:00 AM by milo »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

This is such a classic photo, Milo.  I love it... Hope we get a shot to take a photo like that!
Tex

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »

Like this

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »

milo- that video was sooo awesome and the pics! very nice!!cant wait to catch one!