Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luck so far for Steelies in 2009??!  (Read 13687 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Luck so far for Steelies in 2009??!
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

Wondering if anyone here has landed a steelie yet so far? besides the day of the Derby!  I've been out a couple times.  First day a guy i know on the river landed a nice hatchery and i lost one.  Second day i saw a nice buck jump twice!  Either then that i haven't seen too much action soo far!  Still hunting for my first steelie in my first season for steelies!  Hopefully the water will be good for friday-sunday i'm thinking of going.  If they rain keeps up it might be a lil hard!

Franky,
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

esk

Re: Luck so far for Steelies in 2009??!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

Hopeful snow is malting slowly so that could fishing this weekend ??? ???   

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »

Got lucky on Saturday...

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Pulled a wild out a week ago about 14 pounds and if I have one there's bound to be a few others. Heard of a few caught in that area  ;) :-X
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

Pulled a wild out a week ago about 14 pounds and if I have one there's bound to be a few others. Heard of a few caught in that area  ;) :-X

where abouts r you guys fishing??

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »

had one on, saw a few, just yesterday saw a guy land a wild fish within 15 min of showing up. I am also hoping to land my first this year.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »

This is my first year fishing for steelies! I understand they are very easily spooked and the lighter the leader line the better chances?  What kind of setups do you guys recomend? io'm currently using row! But i think my leader might be too big! i've got 12lb right now.. also what kind of line would be the best? and hook size?

thanks in advance

Franky,

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »

from the reading that i've done, as well as talking with old timers, leader weight/hook size/bait, is not nearly as an important an issue as just finding the fish. It seems that is a large part of the challenge, you have to find where the few fish are.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »

my dad fishes 10lb and a #1 or 1/0 any condition, hooks way more fish than alot of people i know. Bait, roe, roe bags, shrimp.

leader, maximan ultra green 10lb, hook gamikatsu #1, bait=roe
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:01:06 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

patagonia

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »

Had a real early fish on the 15th of Dec but been skunked lately.. its the name of the game, I usually fish 8lb leader when very clear about 24 inch long with jensen egg/wool or a 4 inch worm, 10lb when its gets a little color and a 6" worm and egg clusters with wool, blades are great too....I agree with YG that for the most park the leader doesnt matter that much just put it in their face... try a bunch of diff baits during the day steelnohead... walk a different section on the river every time you go in your first season, find your fav spots yourself, you will learn by just walking and spending time on the river expect to put a lot of time in... I had to teach myself, this is my second season and Im learning a ton, I make a point of exploring diff baits and river sections, you will never learn by just fishing the same stretch with the same bait... have fun

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »

hooked 4 landed 2 so far...... all on pink dinks.

penn

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:33 PM »

Hooked 3 so far , landed 2 , one hatch , one wild . Depending on water conditions I use either 8lb for clear water 12lb for colored water . #4 hook , but I don't think the fish are that picky . Will bite on much bigger hooks and heavy line if you put it close to them and they are in a biting mood .

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

Hooked 3 so far , landed 2 , one hatch , one wild . Depending on water conditions I use either 8lb for clear water 12lb for colored water . #4 hook , but I don't think the fish are that picky . Will bite on much bigger hooks and heavy line if you put it close to them and they are in a biting mood .

where abouts are you fishing? if you dont mind me asking? ::)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »

everywhere, i've heard reports of fish from the upper boundary all the way down to the canal. There is so much water to choose from, just go and find a stretch that u can call your own. I think that would be your best bet, find water "U" like to fish, and learn it, instead of just taking advice and going to different spots and guessing all the time.
Fish killer 101

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »

everywhere, i've heard reports of fish from the upper boundary all the way down to the canal. There is so much water to choose from, just go and find a stretch that u can call your own. I think that would be your best bet, find water "U" like to fish, and learn it, instead of just taking advice and going to different spots and guessing all the time.

Thank bud i appreciate it! looks like we wont be fishing n e time soon. this weekend is probably a write off due to the rain!