Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing Punta Cana  (Read 23724 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Shore fishing Punta Cana
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »

So, I've booked a trip for a resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.  Has anyone tried shore fishing from the beaches here?  I went deep see fishing last year so I wont be going this year but I would like to fish from shore.

I've read that I dont need a fishing licence... is this tue.

Anyways, any input would be appreciated

thanks

Zpg

Re: Shore fishing Punta Cana
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:47:23 PM »

I was there a few years ago and brought my fly gear. The onshore wind was way too difficult for me to cast but spinning tackle with a decent weight lure would do OK. There are lots of small jacks etc within easy casting distance.

Have a great trip!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »

I wonder if I should bring my spinning outfit there or buy one when I get there... Also, what colours of crocs are recommended. 

and.. what type of rod, light or medium action will be suitable?

thanks

Zpg

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 06:31:04 PM »

I wonder if I should bring my spinning outfit there or buy one when I get there... Also, what colours of crocs are recommended. 

and.. what type of rod, light or medium action will be suitable?

thanks

Anything you buy there will be crap or way too expensive if you are even able to find it.  Most of the resorts are miles from anything and any type of tackle shop will be at a resort where they charge $20US for sunscreen. My suggestion would be to buy yourself a decent 4 piece pack rod medium action and 8-10lb line. (that way you can use it here later and if you do get into a 6-8lb fish you have a reasonable chance to land it). Bring an extra spool of line if you plan to fish a lot as the coral will hammer your line and many of the fish will dive into it when hooked. I'm not sure what color crocs but anything silver based is a good bet. Also, I'm not sure if you have any, but a decent pair of water socks with a decent sole is a must as you will wade out and the coral will shred your feet without them.

Cheers.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »

One thing-don't believe locals when they say "Oh there's no fish here"-they have NFI what they're talking about the DR is notorious in that regard-all Inshore Caribbean species are around.

Fish early/late and be sure to carry pliers and a knife.

Faster retrieve is usually better, large spinners work well too.

If you're staying at a place where lights from a hotel fall on the water at night you're in for a real treat catching fish right at your feet all kinds of fun get out there after dinner don't just sit around boozing(!) ;D

When making long casts try to put your lure on the back of a wave for whatever reason that's where you get more strikes especially with poppers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:27:57 PM by Sam Salmon »

IamCanadian

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

Hey, a group of eleven of us will be going to Punta Cana, at the end of April for a week, and some of us are interested in going on a charter there for a day. Does anyone have any good suggestions? As to whether we should book the trip at a hotel, or walk out to town and look for on there instead. I've done a bit of researching, and although many people suggest "mike's" fishing charters, it seems that he's only a middleman, and not actually operating any charters. Thanks!!!

vandenhooff

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »

Do you have a travel rod? I have a pristine 4 pce Trophy XL 10.5 foot Med-Light (TCS7105MLC) with it's original travel case and custom shoulder strap. I just bought in February (or March) for $140 + tax from Berrys Bait. Took it to Mexico in March as carry-on luggage - the airline had no issues with taking it on board. It performed excellent from the shore. I was using Deadly Dicks, the long 4 ounce ones. The wind was quite strong. You'll need a heavy lure. I didn't catch anything from shore.

We also took a four hour charter. I hooked a Crevalle Jack but he snapped my line without much effort. All I brought with me was 12 pound mono - yeah dumb idea. Definitley think about using a heavier line (20 - 30 braid) with a wire leader. And bring extra line. I had to respool twice times. In the end we landed six Jacks all in the 25-30 range.

Would you be interested in purchasing the Trophy XL rod? I'm looking to upgrade, and would take $100 firm. I live in Richmond.

cohojoe

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »

I was surf casting from shore in northern Costa Rica for  Robalo and something else the locals were catching .   Wow.   I thought coho were fast.    You get lucky sometimes really close when you see all the little bait fish jump out of the water in front of you.   why ?   The bait are swirling around your legs and the bigger fishes are chasing them and do not recognize you until the last moment when they are charging around gulping the little ones.   Cast directly into the swirls.   Hold on. 
Another thing;  I know this sounds like a wuss,  but wear a life jacket or at least something that will keep you afloat.    Many tourists are sucked out to sea and cannot get back alive due to the under tow.    Much stronger than I imagined.    There was a newspaper article the week I was there ( early January )  showing a crowd of people on the beach looking at something .    It was  a drowned tourist who got sucked out, and drowned and the cruel waves brought him back.     The life guard says relax and swim diagonal to the shore back  ;  the wave loses its power at the ends of the crashing wave break.

Good fishing and take some photos because we all want to go back.    Oh yeah  the local fishermen were using something like a Acme Castmaster in Chrome with prism tape,   and attached to that was  a white hootchie.    Big lure for distance and visibility and turbulence.   2 to 4 oz  .    Sharpen your hooks also,   the fishes mouths were rock hard.