Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are stores allowed to sell lures with treble hocks and barbed single?  (Read 4420 times)

Wool

Anyone answer this when it's illegal to use them? Pulled out a beautiful fish this morning with a blue fox stuck in it's side.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

They are not illegal in all waters of BC.

fisherforever

Why should the tackle store be responsible for what hook the manufacturer places on or with the lure? The BC tackle market is just a drop in the bucket to these world wide suppliers. Perhaps it's time to read the regs and see where these hooks are allowed. As far as catching one today with a hook stuck in its side, there will always be people who will not follow the rules.

Wool

We regulate hunting, ammunitions, tree pruning, along with another 1000 things in the name of protecting natural resources... The idea of regulated sales in each region isn't that bad of an idea in my opinion.

skaha

• Old Timer

--as was stated... Bc is a small market... some of the wholesalers here sell less than a single store in California.
--even local manufactures in BC... like lyman lures currently only produces a plug with two treble hooks as their largest market is the great lakes.
-- Some manufactures actually put a single hook in the box so you can change them out.

--In Okanagan lk we just changed the reg from single barbless to barbless which will allow for use of barbless treble hook... the reason is the larger single hooks used for trout often kill smaller kokanee.  A large barbless treble when trolled is less likely to kill smaller kokanee.

--we could make the law in BC.. but then how would you police on line sales... only the local stores would suffer from the higher prices and less sales.

Wool

I see the point, but, my leader will now be 5 ft long with a 2/0 hook. Lol.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo

A lot of the lures BC tackle shops stock aren't just for salmon/steelhead fishing. You can use treble hooks and barbed hooks in the ocean for certain species as well as for trout in some lakes. Not that using barbed hooks is a good method for the C&R angler. Almost every angler owns a pair of pliers, just pinch your barbs.

KarateKick

Are treble hooks allowed in the tidal Fraser?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Are treble hooks allowed in the tidal Fraser?

No.

koifish

are treble hooks allowed at the white rock pier??

Ian Forbes

Like all laws, they aren't meant to actually do anything useful. The laws are written to make the law writers, and the politicians who instruct them, APPEAR to be doing something useful.