Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing  (Read 20259 times)

azafai

Re: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »

you can't avoid catching sockey while bar fishing.  I don't understand this much complains from these guys?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

Bar fishing for chinnook may get you the odd by-catch sockeye here and there but by no means are you going to get the numbers that flossers do with their betty's when their "trying" to catch chinnook.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »

When the numbers allow for a catch and kill fishery, I enjoy dusting off my Fraser river rod and flossing a few sockeye for the freezer and smoker. But in a situation like this, when every fish counts, I applaud the decision to close the river to ALL angling, preventing the incidental catch of sockeye.

Frankly, I find it disconcerting that the only thing some bar fishermen have to say about it is whine about how flossers ruined the chinook fishery for them. It would be nice for a change to hear anglers of all persuasions endorse a decision whose only purpose is to protect the fish - the very reason we, as a group, exist.

And to all those who now find themselves not knowing what to do...go to your local tackle store, buy some dink floats, pencil lead or split shots, spoons, spinners and yarn, and learn to catch biting fish on artificials. It is a lot more fun that casting and retrieving those heavy betties anyways.

well said !

and Hi to Milo
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

brandooner

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »

Im all for the closure 8) Bar fishing only would have been nice, but i guess its kinda hard to regulate that...
The Fishin' Musician!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »

Ive said it before, ill say it again (even though I know theres a **** storm coming!)

ABSOLUTELY 100% C&R ALL YEAR ON EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME! No more commercial, no more FN, no retention.

Not likely, but I would love it!

in before "hurr durr feed mah famleh"
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

Bar fishing for chinnook may get you the odd by-catch sockeye here and there but by no means are you going to get the numbers that flossers do with their betty's when their "trying" to catch chinnook.
40 years of bar fishing and have caught or seen caught very few, maybe 10 at the most.

millsm

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »

Ive said it before, ill say it again (even though I know theres a **** storm coming!)

ABSOLUTELY 100% C&R ALL YEAR ON EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME! No more commercial, no more FN, no retention.

Not likely, but I would love it!

in before "hurr durr feed mah famleh"

Beats the heck out of not fishing at all!

trot

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

What light?  Another bar fisherman already claimed to have caught 2 or 3 sockeye this year.  You think it matters?  Did you read the article?  It is the fact that people are fishing and possibly catching the fish.  Either everything is shut down or at least certain members/tribes of the FN believe they have a right to fish too.

No, its the fact people did not listen to "selective methods" and continued snagging sockeye day after day.

This doesn't change anything with FN as much as you may think that

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »

In 20 yrs of bar fishing we only ever caught 1 sockeye. I do agree with the closure however I hope it opens again once the pinks arrive

Why cant DFO just man up and make BBing illegal whenever there isn't a sockeye opening ?

even put a hefty fine with it, say $500+ and im sure that would stop a lot of the guys out there. If your caught, gear gone, boat (if you used one) gone, fish (if caught) gone and Bang! huge fine as well on top of the rest. NO ACCEPTIONS
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:14:22 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »

A fish caught by BB just has to fight a 3 oz betty and the mortality study shows less than 1% fatality. A bar rig with 1 lb lead will exhaust every sockeye caught and forget about them making it to the spawning ground. Go kiss you a x s holier than thou BFers. Your accidental catch highly caused many spawners disappear along the migration after the exhaustion on pulling 1 lb weight. Try swim up the river yourself after pulling a tractor then you know your big chunk of lead besides polluting the Fraser when snagged will cause the death of every sockeye caught. If any one of the BFer can't stand one sockeye killed by accident, better hang up the rod.  ;)

The haters can yell bl oody hell all they want about BBers causing the closure. The closure is now tidal too. So those pointing the fingers saying BBers are the ones causing the closure, show us where in the ocean BB have casted their betties???  ;D

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

^^ How many sockeye do you think are caught as by-catch when bar fishing ?? You've heard from some fellows on here that have been doing it for DECADES and some of them have only seen a handful, while others have NEVER ever seen one caught and they've been bar fishing probably longer than most on here have been alive.

Your a pretty....... how do I put it politely.........naive fisherman liketofish, along with being an obvious flosser who will defend forever so it seems.

Put it this way, lot's of faces would look like this  :o ??? :o ??? :o ??? if they banned BBing on all the local rivers. They would have to actually "LEARN" how to fish, wich would be great cause half of them would probably give up and then there would be a lot more room on the river for guys who like to trick fish to bite instead of snag.

trot

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

^^ How many sockeye do you think are caught as by-catch when bar fishing ?? You've heard from some fellows on here that have been doing it for DECADES and some of them have only seen a handful, while others have NEVER ever seen one caught and they've been bar fishing probably longer than most on here have been alive.

Your a pretty....... how do I put it politely.........naive fisherman liketofish, along with being an obvious flosser who will defend forever so it seems.

Put it this way, lot's of faces would look like this  :o ??? :o ??? :o ??? if they banned BBing on all the local rivers. They would have to actually "LEARN" how to fish, wich would be great cause half of them would probably give up and then there would be a lot more room on the river for guys who like to trick fish to bite instead of snag.

Amen brother....liketofish, you gotta give your head a shake if you really think bar fishing does more damage to sockeye than bbing does. Its people like you who are ruining it for everyone, we need people with a brain and some ethics to teach the next generation the right way to do things.

Edit to say, I am willing to bet more sockeye die each day from being dragged onto the rocks and bonked by flossers calling it a chinook than all the ones caught on a bar rod all season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:45:57 PM by trot »

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »

Catch and release gets out vote!  Or at Max 1 fish per day - who needs 4 a day this is just greed.
Try the fly!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

I see flossers willing to get a fine for trespassing on private land ,seen em parking right in front of a no parking sign, blocking peoples drive ways and for what ? To snag a fish for the freezer? It would be a lot cheaper to go save - on don't you think? Its all they know or care about at this point seems its up to DFO to put an end too it !