Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do fish jump?  (Read 4370 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Why do fish jump?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »

--anyone fished Penask lk? fish jump there constantly, if you fish there long enough I'm sure one will jump into the boat. I've had several hit the side of the boat but no yet direct jump onto the boat
--the penask strain is used for stocking of many of our lakes and they continue to be jumpers in other lakes so? must be a combination of all the explanations.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »

I heard that it goes back to when they were young and feeding on flies. Only later they try to catch birds flying by. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

About 10 years ago I worked as a commercial diver and did some jobs for various fish farms.

Slightly awed at the site of a hundred thousand salmon in a net pen 100 feet square, I spoke at length with both their staff fish biologists and some government inspectors who were there to monitor operations, and they both told me that the salmon jump primarily to try to dislodge the sea lice, both in the pens and in the wild, except when spawning.

If you watch them long enough (and these guys had been watching them in 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week, for years) I'm told that you can differentiate the different types of jumping, whether it's a predator avoidance (you should see them move when there's a seal circling the pens), catching food like the trout after a chronomid hatch, the 'rolling humpback' of a fish navigating upriver, etc.

Scooterguy

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »

It jumps to give a signal to all your fishermen to get ready to cast and catch me ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D if you can .