Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why steelhead  (Read 11485 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: why steelhead
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

its rare to see more then 20 people all day.
LOL!  you must be fishing in the closed area steelie-slayer :D

joshhowat

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »

I have fished hard my whole life.

Caught 40lbs plus springs in ocean and fraser.

A hand full of coho over 20lbs.

And all I have to say is give me a spey rod on a river up north and a 14lbs plus steel and NOTHING comes close.

Josh
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

Because heroin is bad for you....Why isn't the problem,it's when.where and how....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »

Salmon fishing (except to a certain extent coho fishing) is really not fishing at all. It is intercepting migrating fish which are on a spawning mission. I still do it for the meat, but with each passing year the appeal diminishes. Steelhead and trout fishing, on the other hand, is becoming more and more my kind of thing.

I am not sure how intercepting a steelhead on a spawning mission is different from intercepting any other fish on a spawning mission, but I do understand why steelheading is so exciting.  With a fraction of the fish returning as even the rarest salmon species, they are simply more challenging to locate.  They fight every bit as good as a coho with even more aerial displays.  They will run you like a big fresh chum, sending you scrambling after to avoid being spooled, and they taste as good as any salmon (sockeye and perhaps red spring excepted).  One thing that makes them a more desirable quarry is that, unlike a salmon, they are not necessarily at the end of their life cycle and many will mend after spawning and return to the sea, a few will return a second or even third time. Many will enter the rivers well before they are ready to spawn and they continue to eat while they wait.  These are just a few reasons why they are so sought after.
Not all those who wander are lost

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

Coming from someone who has never fished for them, but really wants to, my opinion is IT'S A GIANT RAINBOW TROUT! Who doesnt want to fish a oversized fish? My first fish ever was a 10 inch rainbow, and he put up an aquitaine fight. Low drag and quite a few runs. I can't imagine a steelheads fight.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »

Not if you watch the clown show at KW...pretty much year round now
Don't notice, never fish down there. Also, people are much more friendly, I get tired of "No speak english" and "is that a chinook or a coho", just a nice change from gong show to quite and peacefull :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »

I am not sure how intercepting a steelhead on a spawning mission is different from intercepting any other fish on a spawning mission, but I do understand why steelheading is so exciting.  With a fraction of the fish returning as even the rarest salmon species, they are simply more challenging to locate.  They fight every bit as good as a coho with even more aerial displays.  They will run you like a big fresh chum, sending you scrambling after to avoid being spooled, and they taste as good as any salmon (sockeye and perhaps red spring excepted).  One thing that makes them a more desirable quarry is that, unlike a salmon, they are not necessarily at the end of their life cycle and many will mend after spawning and return to the sea, a few will return a second or even third time. Many will enter the rivers well before they are ready to spawn and they continue to eat while they wait.  These are just a few reasons why they are so sought after.

You answered your own question.
Most salmon are almost dead once they are on their spawning grounds (all of them die after spawning).
On the other hand, most steelhead return to the ocean after spawning and are chrome before they spawn.

I would say the majority of them return multiple times to spawn.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

You answered your own question.
Most salmon are almost dead once they are on their spawning grounds (all of them die after spawning).
On the other hand, most steelhead return to the ocean after spawning and are chrome before they spawn.

I would say the majority of them return multiple times to spawn.

Actually I'd say "minority" return to spawn more than once.
Lots of them don't make it back after the first time.
They are weak and are easy prey + hungry and are easy catch.
Most steelhead are of the same size in a particular river but some are bigger.
Those above average specimens are return spawners.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

I guess I was being optimistic when I said that "most" return.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/species-especes/salmon-saumon/facts-infos/steel-arc-eng.htm

Steelhead live up to nine years and spend between one and three years in freshwater before smolting and entering the ocean. After spawning, many adult steelhead return to the sea and some (up to 20 per cent, mostly females) return to freshwater after recuperation to spawn a second time – unlike other Pacific salmon which die after their first and only spawning. Some individuals can spawn many times and those that repeat spawn are referred to as “kelts”.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »

Reason 1, less people fish for them.

Reason 2, they are hard to catch.

Reason 3, when its  -15, everything is covered in snow, its dead quiet and your freezing, a bar of chrome warms you up and puts a smile on your face.

They are easy to catch, tough to find, and they are the most rewarding fish. They bite everything at some time or another, and nothing at all some days. You could say they have personalities. The ultimate game fish.

I like being alone when I'm fishing... and cold, wet, winter days keeps it that way.
Fish killer 101

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »

You will understand when you catch one.

thats really all that needs to be said, i fish for steelhead all year round on some remote rivers where i rarely see anyone, paradise....belive me, it never gets old or stale and i fish almost everyday. ;D ...holmes*

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

Lets see some pics?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »

Why Steelhead? Because I CAN!

Hi, my name is Matt, and I am Seriously Addicted to Steelhead. NO "program" or "cure" required! LOL!

Cheers,
Nog

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »

Dude,seen all your pics last year.I want to see holmes pics.

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

ya i'll throw some up when i get a sec Dennis.... ;) holmes*