Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OBMG - Canadian Princess  (Read 12794 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re:OBMG - Canadian Princess
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 08:14:29 AM »

a fwr outing that sounds like a good idea perhaps we can get a group rate oh yep and dont forget the gravol as the fish gods are waiting

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 10:29:50 AM »

It's interesting to see the different experiences people have had.
I stopped going because the return for money spent was so poor never mind the puking going on all around you all day long.
We'd catch a dozen Salmon between 18 people in 4 hours and local Charter boats would drive around us, collect their limits in under 2 hours and move onto the Halibut.
Trolling works much much better than jigging any day.

Also Neat Freak-you were ripped off  >:(-a 3 person Charter shouldn't be any more than $600 for a full day in a covered cruiser.

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 11:50:33 AM »

Never been on a Fishing Lodge and would love to go. What kind of Price would we be looking at ??????

Norm...

www.blackgoldlodge.com

You fish at your own pace, how long you want to, and when you want... boats, bait, gas, tackle, freezing and packaging is all inclusive..

IMO I would rather spend the $ on a trip at a lodge like this that any other.

PM me if you need any more info.

I have been to Canadian princess in Uclulete. It was a good experiance, but you are resticted to someone else' schedule.. That sucked big time. The Halibat fishing is only about 1.5 hours long, the rest of the time you are traveling to a nd from the fishing area. Slipping on a deck that is full of puke is not fun either.

The crew, and staff are great and realy do a great job.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 09:28:43 AM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 07:29:50 PM »

Also Neat Freak-you were ripped off  >:(-a 3 person Charter shouldn't be any more than $600 for a full day in a covered cruiser.

$600/for all three?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004, 07:34:49 PM »

www.blackgoldlodge.com

You fish at your own pace, how long you want to, and when you want... boats, bait, gas, tackle, freezing and packaging is all inclusive..

Yeah, but 5 days 4 nights will cost you about $2K/person  :o

I think the OBMG is more of a "blue collar" kind of fishing excursion.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2004, 09:11:16 PM »

$600/for all three?

That's right-I think Neat Freak was victim of some unscrupulous booking.
It's not uncommon for one operation to hire another to work for a day or two if he's already booked and tacking on a couple of hundred is what some do instead of collecting from the 'subcontractor'.

www.blackgoldlodge.com

Yeah, but 5 days 4 nights will cost you about $2K/person  :o

Quite true-the terms bargain basement, assembly line and poor value for money/time spent come to mind.
Go on one trip with a bunch of National Guard reservists drunk from the night before puking and retching then getting even drunker once the boat hits the dock and you'll never go back.
Ditto staying aboard that dirty noisy tin can of a mothership-a special kind of hell if ever there was one.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2004, 11:29:53 PM »

Obviously you have had a bad experience.  I have made three trips to CP and all three have been excellent and I have always caught fish!  Sure there have been some people sick but that can happen anywhere.  For my liking this is good enough!  People are super and the sure it would be great to fish longer but that is the way it is!   One doesnt have to stay in the ship either the rooms on shore are roomy and comfortable!

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 08:13:31 AM »

Obviously you have had a bad experience.

Big guy... When I went to OBMG i had a good time, The point I am trying to make is that there are other places that offer "more" for the lack of a word, for your $.

I am not saying that Black Gold is the only place to go to, (There are at least 10 more lodges in the rivers inlet area, Just search the net and youll find them.) even though I had a great time and got good quality fish. ( The owner beter pay me royalies for this  ;D).

If you take the cost you pay for a trip, and how much time you actually ahve your line in the water. It is amazing to see how expensive it really works out.

Yeah, but 5 days 4 nights will cost you about $2K/person  

IMO Dragon, If you book and pay a deposit and then budget 1 year in advance, you can have a great fishing trip that is worth every $ you put into it. Unless you plan on a 3 trips a year. You get so spoilt with quality and qualtity, that I cannot wait for next years trip.

The ideal situation is to buy my own boat, and arrange my own trips... ;D

What is the Lotto standing at for this weekend?????

A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 12:34:06 PM »

That would be the best!  That is my next big purchase!  Might as well go into debt further and as everyone knows teachers have way too much money!!! ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 01:29:56 PM »

They work 8 months and get paid for 12 ?  ;D

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 06:45:41 PM »

8 months???  Where did those two extra months come from??? ;)

Bantam_50

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 07:24:46 PM »

Mabelingwane,

I checked out the Black Gold link you post....looks like it would be a great trip for the cost....but remember that trip is more keyed for the experienced angler. I could get my better half on the water for 7 hrs. in comfort (52 footer), don't know about in a 16 ft. Lund. Not to sure how many other 'Do It Yourself' lodges there are...but CP still is a great trip. Even better if you could get a group together that would take up one boat....again about the seasickness baah....

Starts to sway back and forth in his chair.  :P

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 09:38:21 PM »

I have been on the Coho princess 3 times,  everytime we came back with fish either salmon or hallibut. I went with a co worker earlier this year ,the rollers were huge .We had fish and chips for dinner and several orders of spicy chicken wings washed down with beer. Next morning my buddy said no problems smooth as glass, what he was looking was still in the harbour. When we turned the corner and headed out for the open water the rollers started and i mean rollers.They must have been a good 15 feet.My buddy was laying in the deck ,arm around a post trying to puke the whole time we were out there,that was 7hours . He claims he will never set foot on a boat with me again.The boats are either 42 or 53 foot cruisers but the cabins are very small, they can hold 8-10 people. If you do decide to have an outing let me know early so i can book hoildays. ;D ;D ;D ;D