Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser hits all time temp high  (Read 12277 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Fraser hits all time temp high
« on: August 25, 2004, 06:39:06 AM »

A buddy at work told me that on the drive in today on CKNW, it was announced that the fraser hit an all time temperature high of 21.5 degrees.  Estimated  in river mortality of 32-40% IS EXPECTED TO GO UP DRAMATICALLY!

All you heros flossing springs right now, please put your rods away...I have never been as sure as I am now that out side of sockey season (when there's retention) we should not be flossing the fraser!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Fraser hits all time temp high
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 07:36:02 AM »

Thanks also for reminding people of this.

Selective fishing now means bar fishing although the Fraser may dirty up with all the rain we are having.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:36:23 AM by chris gadsden »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 07:40:31 AM »

some people just dont get it when you say selective fishing chris. they should close the river for 1 month and let them run through in peace :o

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 07:43:24 AM »

how can the temp of the river go up on one of the coolest days plus rain in the last few months??

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »

Can't give you an answer as to how the temperature goes up,  but I was in the waters on saturday,  the day of the protest while it was raining hard.  The water was warmer than it was on a sunny day a few days before.  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 10:59:27 AM »

At the mouth of th Cog. as I mentioned mostly sockeye, one chinook and no jack springs and i know there is lots in the system.

The ones we caught in the Thompson were full of energy and no sign of fatique.

Also the dead sockeye were still bright so had not made it up too far in the Fraser.

I think all the fishing pressure from all sectors they have faced also has some effect on them.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »

Hi all. I want to say that I am not a sockeye fisherman because I am not here during the summer months. I barfished for about 8 years until it got too crowded. No boat so no choice on where I can go. I agree that there should be selective fishing on th eFraser. I like reading the posts here but lately it has gotten rather ugly with the floss-barfish spiel. What I want to voice is that I wish you guys would lay off the term "Heroes" once and for all. It comes across as a derogatory term and it doesn't seem appropriate. Also, I have a problem with some of the guys who think they know it all. Please curtail your condescending remarks. Some of you wrote that you used to floss but not anymore. Well, how many years did you do it? And how many years was it before you realized that you should not be doing it? Obviously that took some years. Maybe some of the guys here will learn that too, if you give them the same number of years to realize that instead of trying to hurl insults at them to stop the flossing. It's not in the best interest here to tar everyone who floss as wicked people. Pretty soon you'll be telling me that if I don't use a centrepin I'm a nobody. Please be civil. there is no need to get rude. Whew, glad to get that off my chest.

Second thing I want to add is that the Fraser is obviously warmer than ever due to the record heat we have had for the last three months. You can include the last three years of virtually no rainfall or snowpack in the interior. Also one thing that most people never think of is the Kenney Dam, which was built for Alcan by the BC government, severely curtails the water flow from the Nechako river, which in turn flows into the Stuart river, and into the Fraser. More water flow could cool  the water temperature, but I doubt Alcan would do that.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »

thanks for the link...good article.  it states that warm river temps are due to low snow pack (a lack of that cold water source).

As well, I assume that because the fraser is fed by hundreds of  lakes.  those lakes suck up a ton of energy and then dump it into the fraser.

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 03:03:49 PM »

As well, I assume that because the fraser is fed by hundreds of  lakes.  those lakes suck up a ton of energy and then dump it into the fraser.

??? ??? ???

Nostro

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

The data presented is for the period of Aug. 17-20. We have had a lot of rain in the interior and the coast. It will be interesting to see what the effect of this sudden cooling period and large rain fall has had on the next report.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 08:01:33 PM »

??? ??? ???

I think he means that all the lakes, especially in the hot interior, absorb the sun's heat energy and warm up.  These lakes then eventually drain their warm water into the Fraser River.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 11:18:28 PM »

It took me two outings to figure out that flossing was not for me.  I was disappointed at myself for taking so long to realize it.

They taught you at Brit ? ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 11:59:06 PM »

;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »

Max,yes I saw it and of course confirm it by the number of dead ones I saw at the mouth of the Coq..

Of course besides the warm temps the stress of all the nets in the water during this time period does not help them as I am sure they become stressed dodging nets and freeing themselves from them.

As well the catch and release going on now of sockeye does not help matters >:( and as I keep saying, fish selectively.

When you hook a fish on a line we all know how they try to rid themselves of your hook, they tire or get off and then how does this effect their recovery.

I believe when fishing if you catch a fish that is legal (Hatchery Fish for example only, if this is the case) keep it and when you have your limit stop fishing, leave the fish and the spot for others.

I am sure people that fished sockeye most likely noticed a few  with net marks on them. Anyone able to report on that?

An interesting point is FOC Managers are now spinning tales of how the warm water will cause over 40 % of in river mortality. I know it will be high but part of this is to cover themselves as well for all the netting drift and set they allowed this season, not to mention all the illegal netting that we all know about. This of course went on day and night and still is due to their unwillingness to enforce the fishery laws.

My thought and will like to hear others.