Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout on Vedder?  (Read 6574 times)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
Trout on Vedder?
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:17:27 PM »

I hear there is good trout fishing in Vedder. Anyone knows where would be likely spots for that?

Thanks,

FlyNut
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:48:30 PM by FlyNut »

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Re:Trout on Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 10:37:42 PM »

canal

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:49:14 PM »

Dan,
For the newbie me, where is that?  Sorry if the question is dumb.  I have not been there in years.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »

there's some trout in Tamihi.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 08:05:03 PM »

i think dan means the  stretch of the vedder along the keith wilson bridge towards the highway  in chilliwack. those trout could also be juvenile steelhead so be aware....release those little guys.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 08:07:58 PM »

Sad to see people killing 8-12" fish, most are Steelhead Smolts that never make it down to the ocean and stay as residents in the system. They would be fun to practise catch and release on the fly above the train bridge in the deep pools though.

Randog

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

Really Trout Slayer, please elaborate on this wisdom that you have. Please tell me how YOU tell the difference between a steelhead smolt and a hatchery rainbow trout.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 09:03:27 PM »

Really Trout Slayer, please elaborate on this wisdom that you have. Please tell me how YOU tell the difference between a steelhead smolt and a hatchery rainbow trout.
Randog:  I, MYSELF Identify a Hatchery Rainbow Trout and a Steelhead Smolt by the Hatchery Rainbow Trout have being marked (clipped) of it's adipose fin. Now in the Vedder River system, Steelhead Smolts some of them will have their adipose fin clipped as well.............only if they were released by the hatchery. Although they look very close to being the same they genetically are not. It's just like Summer Run Steelhead and Winter Steelhead.

Randog

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »

Let me rephrase that, tell me the difference between a hatchery steelhead and a hatchery rainbow trout.

Also do you live in Poco?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 09:25:55 PM »

The difference? One has two words and the other has three words.

The difference between a steelhead smolt and a rainbow trout is that the steelhead smolt has undergone smotification and possesses the ability to enter the ocean.

Genetically, they differ only slightly. That's why the same genus and species name applies to both.

Hatchery juveniles that haven't undergone smoltification are released into the river when they are at the right size. That "right" size is determined by approximately how big they will undergo smoltification (turning into a smolt). If the fish are kept in the hatchery and continue to grow, the fish will not undergo smoltification and will become a resident rainbow trout instead.

Most juveniles that are released into the system will migrate downstream and become smolts. A small percentage of the fish will remain in the system, possibly due to the abundance of food source, and residualize instead. These fish will eventually become resident rainbow trout, which are potential predators of other juvenile salmonids. They are also competitors of wild steelhead smolt.

In order to reduce negative impacts of hatchery steelhead that have residualized, anglers are allowed to catch and keep four of these per day. What people should not be doing is to keep the fish without identifying them first (hatchery or wild).

spring_killer

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:31:54 PM »

I can answer you this question. The place that i caught trout before was at the Boundary hole. The biggest trout that i have caught there was about 17". All you need is a worm on a small hook, and a split shot weight. The smallest one. Good luck!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 11:43:37 PM »

Great info, thanks Rodney. So I guess keeping a few of these fish is a good thing for the future. So lets not knock the people for keeping these little guys.

I was unaware they did it for that. I thought it as being "pathetic" that adults would be killing 8-12" fish for food. Sure if there were kids doing it I would think it's fine but not people at that age keeping such small fish. Those tiny fish wouldn't be enough to feed Bubble's cat's. ;D