Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning rod suggestions  (Read 10378 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Spinning rod suggestions
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:18:32 PM »

I'm in the market for a spinning rod in the mid price range preferably.  I want one that will toss light lures and jigs without a float and sinkers. I will be pairing it up with either my Shimano Syncopate 4000 or Okuma Epixor EB50.  My target species would be coho and pinks.  I'm thinking a 9' or 9'6" with a fairly fast taper. Am I correct in thinking that a faster action rod will cast farther and transmit the lure action more than a slow action rod?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »

The Daiwa Firewolf series runs less than $100 and will do the trick.
FW-DR862ML: 8'6, 12-20 line wt, med/light action
FW-DR962H: 9'6", 12-20 line wt, heavy action

Casting further/transmitting lure action better will be realised best by using Fireline that's what I do there's no comparison with mono.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »

Casting further/transmitting lure action better will be realised best by using Fireline that's what I do there's no comparison with mono.

I will definately be using a superline for backing with a top shot of YoZuri Hybrid or pure flourocarbon depending on water conditions.  As I posted some time ago I found the abrasion resistance of Fireline to be very poor when put up against the strong current of the Upper Fraser but for this application I have been considering it because I won't be using it in fast current and my topshot will take the beating from the bottom and besides it's cheaper!  Has anyone experimented with casting the different superlines on a spinning reel?  I was thinking of trying either PP, Tuff Line Plus (green) or Fireline for backing.  Which is preferable for casting on a grinder stiff or supple line?

FW-DR862ML: 8'6, 12-20 line wt, med/light action
FW-DR962H: 9'6", 12-20 line wt, heavy action

Thanks for the recommendations.  Do you know what the min/max lure weight they are rated at for casting and what type of action they have.  i checked their website and these models seem to be discontinued although I'm sure some shops around here still have them.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »

St croix and fenwick have some great rods.  Wild river series is very nice.  Dont feel forced into a spinning out fit. Personally I fish a 9.5 foot lamiglas with a shimano TE 200.  Its spooled with 30lb power power pro to which I attach a mono leader.  I can cast an 1/8 oz marabou jig easily, #3 blue fox or a 3/8 croc....all great coho lures.

I think a rod rated for 8-12lb test  would be all you need for pinks and coho.  

If you are interested in spooling up with braid, I have service spools of both 30 and 50 lb power pro.  30 lb PP has a 6lb mono diamter and 50 has a 12lb diameter.  The last 3 coho seasons my dad and I fish the 30lb braid with a 2-4 foot mono leader of 8-12 lbs and that worked great, you could really feel the blade on a blue fox spinning and the set the hook with braid was effortless!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

GET THE SHIMANO CLARIS...awsome rod. Should go great with your expixor. Landed over 50 pinks this year on the fraser tossing spoons with the rod.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:12:11 PM »

Shimano Convergence, I have a 10 ft model, can drift with it if conditions present themselves, and has a beautiful action with a fish on, the extra length gives good leverage and I've never snapped a fish off with it, except for one time when I got spooled (snapped at the spool, 300 yrds of line gone in 30 seconds...). Rated for 8-17 lb test (I think), I put a spinning reel on filled with 8 lb test, great for pinks, I picked up a 15 lb chum on it in the Harrison and landed it with no worries. Paid just over $100 I think, but I love it. I use it a lot now for casting off the breakwater in Victoria.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »

Shimano Convergence is not a spinning rod.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »

Roe Kid Which model do you have and how much did you pay for your Clarus? Would you use the same rod for coho or is it more suited for pinks?  How heavy of lures would you say it's ideal for?

Spudcote  Thanks for the input.  I already own a 10' 1/2" Trophy XL 10-20lb spinning rod which is probably quite similar to the convergence.  I'm looking for a bit lighter powered rod with a faster action for hucking the lighter stuff.

Fish Assassin Shimano makes both a spinning and baitcast version of the Convergence.

Gooey which model of lamiglas do you have?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:22:56 PM by Eagleye »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 11:35:23 PM »

Shimano Convergence is not a spinning rod.

Shimano found that a lot of guys were buying the level-wind convergence, filing down the trigger grip, and replacing the first guide with a larger one. So they just made an entirely new rod, but using a VERY similar blank, if not the same blank with the bottom 6 inches cut off.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 01:36:31 AM »

If you only target for pinks and coho with the spinning method, why use the epixor EB50?? that reel is big and heavy, a EB30 is more then enough.  Plus, you don't really need a 9' rod, a 7-71/2 is enough. for a decent rod, you might want to consider the Fenwick HMX 7' Medium action its great and light. or to spend a bid more go for the St. Croix Tidemaster 7 1/2'  med come in 3 pcs and a rod tube, its a great rod for around 200 bucks range.   As for line on spinning reel, i put 14lb fireline on my Epixor EB 30, takes about 175 yrd or more. its enough for anything.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »

look around there are lots of different 8'6" to 9'6" spin rods out. Rapala makes some really nice ones for the money, all fuji components,ts71sp90m, ts71sp90ml and ts71sp96m. Daiwa has mentioned also has a "heartland" series hl-ss862mlfs 1/8-1/2oz or hs-ss862mfs 3/8-3/4oz, Pure Fishing under both the fenwick "canadian methods" cmss902m 3/8oz, "hmx" hmxs90m-2 3/8-1oz and Berkley "air im7" a94-9ms 1/8-1/2oz,a94-9mh 1/2-1 1/2oz, a94-9-6m 3/8-3/4oz and there are also green Trophy Xl 9', tg290c spin rods. Any of these rod series will have models that fit both your price point and action that you want. One small note that with the daiwa firewolfs's mentioned above, they are downrigger rods, look for model numbers fwss862mlrs, 1/8-1/2oz lures or fwss902mfs, 1/4-3/4oz lures.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 07:42:55 AM by rln »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »

I may have the Firewolf and Heartland series mixed up. ::)

However there is no such thing as a 'Downrigger rod ' except in the some tackle company's imagination.

A person can use WTF they like on a downrigger makes no difference.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »

My lami was a blank I bought and built up.  I misplaced the sticker in my fishing room but as I recal its something like:

Model: 96 MC
Lenghth: 9’ 6”
Lure weight: 3/8-3/4
Line Rating: 8-12
Action: Mod/Fast

It cost $75 CND for the blank (very cheap as the tackle shop was closing down).  The eyelets are a special hardened stainless steel, I got them for free from an asian manufacturing company along with a premade handle.  The reel seat cost me  $10 and the epoxy and thread for another $10...I figure I am into that rod for under $100, which for a custom rod like that, its dirt cheap.  I think they retail closer to $300.  I guess my main point in mentioning that set up was that with a small baitcaster and a thin braided line, I dont need to bother changing to a spinning rig when I go to fish spinners, spoons, and jigs.  And when I float fish, I place my drennan on the braid then a swivel with 2 feet of 12lb mono with split shot, another swivel and then my leader and hook...never lost a drennan tha way and it allows me to fish 2 different methods (spin and float) from one rod.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »

I may have the Firewolf and Heartland series mixed up. ::)

However there is no such thing as a 'Downrigger rod ' except in the some tackle company's imagination.

A person can use WTF they like on a downrigger makes no difference.
there actually are rods designed specificaly for downriggers. These have twist guides on them so when you have it in the rod holder using a levelwind reel the line twists around so the tip top is facing down. Secondly the Daiwa rods with "dr" like the
fw dr862ml have guides that are too small to use with spinning reels. Maybe rod action wise there is not a lot of difference but definately in handle style and guide style there is.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 08:58:34 PM »

there actually are rods designed specificaly for downriggers. These have twist guides on them so when you have it in the rod holder using a levelwind reel the line twists around so the tip top is facing down. Secondly the Daiwa rods with "dr" like the
fw dr862ml have guides that are too small to use with spinning reels. Maybe rod action wise there is not a lot of difference but definately in handle style and guide style there is.
What you are talking about are Spiral Wrap rods and they are no more designed for downriggers than they are for herding chickens!
LOL!!!! ::)
A Spiral Wrap is used to lessen torque when hauling on big fish that go/stay deep like Tuna or even Halibut.
Spiral Wrap/Robert's wrap/Acid Wrap do a search here
  http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=313  and educate yourself!