Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cabelas Canada  (Read 15219 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Cabelas Canada
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:30 AM »

Cabelas now has a store in Winnipeg since they took over the S.I.R. store chain.  They are currently getting rid of their S.I.R. stock and don't really have their act together yet but by next year they should be fully operational.  There is also an online component http://www.cabelas.ca/ but when you call the Toll free number you have to leave a message and they call you back.  The store phone number is (204) 786-8966 they are open from 9-6.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:40:40 AM by Eagleye »

skunked

Re: Cabelas Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »

bass pro shop opening in calgary soon aswell

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

Hmm, interesting that the price for the Abu 6600 c4 is about $60.00 more in canadian store than it is in the US stores.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »

Where do you shop?

Cabelas.ca           Cabelas.com (Washington)
ABU 6600C4 - $159                          ABU 6600C4 - $99.99
Shimano CTE200DC - $599.99            Shimano CTE200DC - $499.99

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

I have to admit, I do most of my shopping in the US now.  I live close to the border and have a Nexus Pass.  If I need some terminal tackle, I just pop down to Joe's Sports in Bellingham (I also fill up at the costco gas bar).  If I buy anything from Cabela's, its through the internet and delivered to my mailbox in Blaine.  Too far to drive to Cabelas.  The furthest that I normally go is to Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington (45 minutes from the border).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »

Where do you shop?

Cabelas.ca           Cabelas.com (Washington)
ABU 6600C4 - $159                          ABU 6600C4 - $99.99
Shimano CTE200DC - $599.99            Shimano CTE200DC - $499.99

Weird that's for sure.... ::)

bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »

Sportsman's Warehouse is da Bomb.

No place I've found can compare with the prices they have, not even Joe's.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »

Where do you shop?

At my local, Canadian owned and operated, Fishing store (Pacific Angler in Vancouver, Riverside Fly and Tackle in Port Coquitlam, and Whistler Fly Fishing in Whistler).

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

Good for you DionJL.  You must support your local tackle shop if you want to keep it local and not let it go bust.  However, there are sometimes offers further afield that are just too good to give up, but I think we can all live with a little guilt now and again.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

Terry you'd be surprised what your local tackle shops can and will do for you if you are a loyal customer. Most will match any price they can and you'll also get better information than you'd ever get from a large box store.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »

Local tackle shops are great for the wealth of info and advice they give you (the good ones anyways).  If you are a new angler that needs that type of service then there is no where else to go.  I remember pumping thousands of dollars into our local shops, buying tackle that I really didn't need just to talk to guys working there.  But situations change for everyone.  I pretty much have all the gear I need now (at least that's what I tell my wife ;D).  A mortgage, escalating gas prices and bringing up a kid ain't cheap and in order to continue with my hobby, I need to cut corners anyway I can.  Not to say that I don't support my local shop anymore.  I still do but no where near as much as I did before.

Sandhead

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

I shop local...
I'm kinda surprised no big US retailer hasnt setup shop in the fraser valley.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

I shop locally most of the time, especially in my friendly neighbourhood tackle store (West Coast Tackle on Hastings) and RFT (so conveniently located on the way to the flow! ;D). I will also give my money to Hubs Sports and Trout Waters in Kelowna when I am there. Great stores, great guys to deal with...It is a pleasure to drop by and be treated on a first name basis. How can you beat that?

However, as Terry D. said, you just can't say no to some opportunities that pop up south of the border, especially when it comes to items that are discontinued, but you just loooove them! Like my most recent purchase - A NIB Abu 6600 Mag-X C5 for ninety bucks Canadian delivered to my door! I mean, hey, you just can't say no to that.  :-[
Considering that approximately 90% of my fishing cash is spent locally, it is guilt I can live with. ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »

I can honestly say that I have never made a purchase of fishing gear outside of Canada until two weeks ago when I ordered some spoon blanks that aren't available in Canada (I'm trying to changing that though). But for me the incentive to buy from the States just isn't there because I get a discount at the stores I work at.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »

I understand the dilemma if the product you are looking for isn't available in Canada. And if the product is available for half the price (or any drastic price difference) understand that too. But don't come walking into a shop asking for information about rods or reels, comparing your options, then turn around and buy it online to save a buck.

A tackle store is in business to make money. They will try and be as competitive price wise as they can but sometimes they just can't match what's available online. So they compensate for that with service. It is not fair to the business to take advantage of that.

PS: Riverside has lots of bass stuff.