Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The real reason the Fraser is shut down.  (Read 16721 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: The real reason the Fraser is shut down.
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »

Either hire one of the many charter boats available or target fish in rivers that actually bite. ;)

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »

Blackdog, I understand what you are saying and i am not trying to tell the rest of British Columbia what they should do, I am however trying to start dialog that may be useful, the "don't go into my tackle box" argument has been around forever and it's time that we look at all options including going into the leader box. I thought perhaps that if we used definitions as a method of control, we could stay out of the tackle box, ie: only restricting leader lengths not the method of Bottom bouncing. If the rest of BC wants to continue with the "don't go in my tackle box" argument, so beit but the Fraser Valley has some real issues that need to be dealt with locally. How we do that, not sure, but we have to start somehwere.

Firstlight, I am not lobbying for sockeye fishing, I am lobbying for the river to re-open to salmon fishing. What my personal opinion is regarding bb for sockeye is quite clear to those that know me. I however represent a group of anglers that do want to bb for sockeye  during years/runs that there are no conservation concerns, I can't see why they shouldn't be able to do it when millions of salmon are present.  During years like this year, the FVAGA is  totally behind the request to not bb for sockeye and have been leaders in this area.

The bottom line is that taking a hard stand on either position and not allowing for some kind of comprimise will only lead us to distruction and lose of all fishing opportunities. it's time to try to come to some sort of middle ground and work towards a better fishery/future for all of us and our children to follow. the way we are going, there will be nothing left.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 02:52:49 PM »

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0636-RECREATIONAL: SALMON - Region 2 - Retention of Pink, Chinook and Chum Salmon in Non-tidal Waters of the Fraser River

Effective 00:01 hours Friday, August 31, 2007 until further notice fishing for
Pink, Chinook, Coho and Chum salmon is permitted on the non-tidal Fraser River
from the Mission Bridge upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.

The daily limit for Chinook salmon is four (4) per day, only one of which may
be greater than 62 cm.
The daily limit for Pink salmon is two (2) per day.
The daily limit for Chum salmon is two (2) per day.
The daily limit for Coho salmon is zero (0) per day.

The daily limit for Pink salmon will be reviewed when an in-season run size is
available for pink salmon.

At this time there is no recreational fishing permitted for Sockeye salmon. 
The purpose of the no fishing restriction is to ensure sufficient sockeye
escapement for conservation purposes.

While fishing for Pink salmon in this area, the Department requests that the
recreational community take every measure possible to ensure that their fishing
activities are not impacting sockeye salmon.

Additional measures to protect Interior Fraser River Coho will be announced via
a separate fishery notice.  In addition, a recreational retention fishery for
hatchery marked Coho salmon is anticipated to be announced in mid October via a
separate fishery notice.

Variation orders 2007-317; 2007-318; 2007-319; 2007-320.

Notes:

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than
kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.  This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
Chinook and Coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0636
Sent August 29, 2007 at 14:21
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 05:09:33 PM »

Effective 00:01 hours Friday, August 31, 2007

allwaysfishin

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »

yawn.....  8)
anyone wanna buy a bb'ing rod hehehe i don't need mine anymore

salmon river

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »

I think the notwithstanding clause should be used to over turn the sparrow decision. A race based fishery in this day and age is not needed.

Yet it is nice to buy cheap sockeye when I buy corn in Chilliwack..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 06:25:00 AM »

Why do we want to continue a fishery that has turned the fishing community upside down?
Lets get rid of the Sockeye fishery alltogether.
If you want Sockeye that bad either buy them  or fish for them where they actually bite.In the ocean.
I think it is getting closer to this happening. It is so good to see a number of people turn around their opinions after the events of the last two weeks and put their opinions in print. Some still hold on to the views donot get into the tackle box. However if we are to still gain access to some fish species on the Fraser in the years ahead we will have too. I now believe the momentum on this issue is now gaining strenght. FOC has given the angling community another chance to comply, lets hope they grab onto it this time. ;D ;D

Got to get some chinook jacks in the smoker. ;D ;D ;D

speycaster

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »

I think it is time to get rid of all bait in flowing water, absolutely no reason to use guts to catch fish. It only leads to the killing of too many female fish. Might as well go all the way and make flowing water fly only. ;D If Chris wants to go into tackle boxes i think my opinions are worth considering. ;D

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »

Why do we want to continue a fishery that has turned the fishing community upside down?
If you want Sockeye that bad either buy them  or fish for them where they actually bite.In the ocean.
I think it is getting closer to this happening. It is so good to see a number of people turn around their opinions after the events of the last two weeks and put their opinions in print. Some still hold on to the views don't get into the tackle box. However if we are to still gain access to some fish species on the Fraser in the years ahead we will have too. I now believe the momentum on this issue is now gaining strenght. FOC has given the angling community another chance to comply, lets hope they grab onto it this time. ;D ;D

The point is that closing of the Fraser had nothing to do with flossing and everything to do with the F/N wanting all sportys off the water.
With the help of the sportys, DFO did this.
Further it is now shown it had nothing to do with the conservation of sockeye as DFO has allowed even futher killing of them.

The people who I now see are upset about about flossing, however all of them have done it.
Now just as reformed smokers they feel it is bad and should stop.

This is all about "ethics" and as "all of you taught them how to floss", if you want them to cease then "you "teach them why and how.

Don't try and move this to the tackle box as it does not belong there.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »

Its a tackle box problem so why wouldnt we want to get into the tackle box.
What is this getting into the tackle box anyways?
They allready have regs. out there that get into the tackle box.
There isnt a way to get these fish to commonly bite in the Fraser so why beat a dead horse over tackle?
The fishery has been bad for everyone other than tackle stores and charter operators and does nothing for the resource thats positive.
Why do we as sportsfishermen want to keep persuing this fishery?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 11:01:36 PM »

I think it is getting closer to this happening. It is so good to see a number of people turn around their opinions after the events of the last two weeks and put their opinions in print. Some still hold on to the views don't get into the tackle box. However if we are to still gain access to some fish species on the Fraser in the years ahead we will have too. I now believe the momentum on this issue is now gaining strenght. FOC has given the angling community another chance to comply, lets hope they grab onto it this time. ;D ;D

The point is that closing of the Fraser had nothing to do with flossing and everything to do with the F/N wanting all sportys off the water.
With the help of the sportys, DFO did this.
Further it is now shown it had nothing to do with the conservation of sockeye as DFO has allowed even futher killing of them.

The people who I now see are upset about about flossing, however all of them have done it.
Now just as reformed smokers they feel it is bad and should stop.

This is all about "ethics" and as "all of you taught them how to floss", if you want them to cease then "you "teach them why and how.

Don't try and move this to the tackle box as it does not belong there.

It will be going there. ;D ;D ;D

speycaster

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

And a whole bunch of us will be pushing for fly only while fishing in moving water. ;D ;D It will solve all dfo's problems.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »

And a whole bunch of us will be pushing for fly only while fishing in moving water. ;D ;D It will solve all dfo's problems.
Now will be agood time to start your lobby as more changes will be coming. I say that as I just got back from my river patrol of the Vedder and the Fraser and there is large numbers of people not fishing selectively, especially at Peg Leg. They are on the shore and from boats as well.

I feel sorry for the guides and tackle shop owners who worked so hard to get the river open again and then for many not to heed the request not to bottom bounce.

I wonder what FOC's next move will be.

I also saw FN drift nets in action at the AR Bridge both time I crossed it.

Pinks were moving through the Gill Road area I was informed by an angler I know.
Maybe worth tossing a colorado blade fished with a Maple Leaf Drennan. Hockey season is not far away, time to get rolling. ;D ;D