Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery Sockeye  (Read 4533 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Hatchery Sockeye
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 10:08:00 PM »

I'm a little surprised lol...

Ok, what are these?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »

That's a photo from your Knight inlet trip? I was just looking for it.

Upper coho, lower chum. Chum have a bigger dorsal fin and thinner caudal wrist. In this photo you can really notice the difference in the maxillary length.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:16:26 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

knotbadman

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:02 PM »

Yes but . . . white gums and clipped adipose fin. There aren't any hatchery (clipped) chum are there?
And the flesh was very red/orange. (Tasted great for dinner)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 10:43:13 PM »

No spots on coho is common in the ocean in port hardy. Caught plenty that have no spots.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 06:38:34 AM »

Some people need to bone up on their fish identification.

Yup!

tuna

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 07:13:57 AM »

Both those fish are definetly coho . If you are still indoubt drop  head  sample of at a hatchery and ask them todo a identification 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 07:18:26 AM »

No spots on coho is common in the ocean in port hardy. Caught plenty that have no spots.

i caught a coho in Norrish Creek with spots on the entire tail. it wasn't heavily spotted but they were there! there is some individual variation.

I would bet that the coho you caught in PH had spots but were all but invisible. Just like the lower fish in knotbadman's photo. If that fish were a clipped chum it would be quite a unicorn. 

Actually what people are pointing out is not that I can't properly identify a fish - that people will have that experience from time to time is almost as common as dirt - it's that the common methods of identifying species is not infallible.

I have also caught fish that I had no idea what they were other than I was pretty sure it was a species of Pacific Salmon though I wasn't sure what species.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 07:19:31 AM »

Both those fish are definetly coho . If you are still indoubt drop  head  sample of at a hatchery and ask them todo a identification

re-read the his first post. He did that.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 07:55:21 AM »

i caught a coho in Norrish Creek with spots on the entire tail. it wasn't heavily spotted but they were there! there is some individual variation.

I would bet that the coho you caught in PH had spots but were all but invisible. Just like the lower fish in knotbadman's photo. If that fish were a clipped chum it would be quite a unicorn. 

Actually what people are pointing out is not that I can't properly identify a fish - that people will have that experience from time to time is almost as common as dirt - it's that the common methods of identifying species is not infallible.

I have also caught fish that I had no idea what they were other than I was pretty sure it was a species of Pacific Salmon though I wasn't sure what species.

I find on the ones that look like they have no spots there’s usually some very faint spotting on the upper loab of the tail.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »

That’s ok. Even geniuses make mistakes too.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »

I don't know any geniuses, just schmucks like you & me.  :D

fishdreamer

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »

It looks to me like Ralph identified Rodneys fish correctly with the added note that the pupil in the lower fish is very big.  For the original fish I am in the 2 coho camp

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »

No spots? No coho!
That’s a coho in the first picture by the original poster. Admit your wrong dude.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:35:31 AM by Wiseguy »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

That’s a coho in the first picture by the original poster. Admit your wrong dude.

LOL! I have been and will be in future wrong about a lot of things, no problems there 'DUDE'. It is a coho.

knotbadman

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 03:50:08 PM »

Okay, I am feeling much better about keeping this fish. It is a good reminder to brush up on species identification for those times when you find an anomaly. I now feel like I have a few more tools in my pocket when I am confirming that my coho, is in fact, a coho. Unlike the calm, unmoving fish in Rod's videos, mine all seem to be thrashing around in the net when I am trying to identify them. I used to use a "clipped adipose, white gums, bonk!" sort of process. Now I'll add a look for spots and maxillary length.
Funny thing is that I've never had any trouble identifying species before but I think you all got insight into my paranoia around breaking the rules that had me wondering if my spotless salmon with red flesh was a hatchery sockeye.
As always, I appreciate the wisdom and support on this board.
Back to Nicomen on Wednesday, I think.