Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are all the fish?  (Read 6454 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Where are all the fish?
« on: August 11, 2004, 08:13:32 AM »

commercial guys and the natives have them all. the white guys get another opening tonite for 3-4 hrs i heard. there wont be any left for us.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
Re:Herling Aug 10
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 12:05:26 PM »

Where are all the fish? It's the 11th today & still haven't seen good #'s.....should this fishery be open?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 02:22:26 PM »

I don't think it should be open, personally I think everyone in the whole river should be shut down, including us rec's, and all the tidal netters.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 03:01:21 PM »

FF I totally agree, there just doesn't seem to be that many fish, springs & sockeye. I think all parties would agree too, if there is no surplus, there should be no fishery.

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:06:39 PM »

well if they close it i would like a refund on my license as I only caught 2 sox this whole season.  Plus i saw about10-12 sox caught today at herrling with 40-50 people, 1 spring, and 4-5 hooked springs, only 1 landed,

Last year was nice, when I have 24 sox in my freezer, now i only have 2 and i think they will probably close the season next week, hope they extend it till sept.l  Still have to try my new rod and reel with a spring.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »

24 socks? damn thats alot of fish.

norm_2

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »

gmoney, how many days have you been out for sockeye this year.  I just want to know how bad it has been this year.

FishGuts

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 08:15:19 PM »

The fish are coming, run has been updated to 4 million, I havent been out for 2 and half weeks myself. Im patiently waitng for the commercials to finish (their last opening was today) and the native commercial has a few openings left.  There are loads of sockeye at the mouth but they seem to be delaying coming into the river, the river is lower right now that at the same time over the last few years and alot warmer. We need some cooler temps and some rain. Like I said before havent been out for almost 3 weeks, noway am I gonna stand out in that gong show all day just to maybe floss a couple of sockeye. I shake my head at my buddies that go out all day and fish hard to maybe get 1 or 2 and I just say "I told you so"

The flossing is much more enjoyable and less stressful when the river is plugged with sox and everybody is in and out quick, makes for less crowded conditions too.

So be patient they will come, hopefully we get a good winter with lots of snowpack and the fishing next year will be near normal.

FishGuts

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 09:21:02 PM »

Thats a tough one, if they should bring in the steelhead rule where once you catch your 2 sockeye you cant fish the water anymore but then there will always be the ones who will catch and release all day to catch a spring first then keep 2 sox and leave so I dont know what the answer is, I guess the best answer is more enforcement and more DFO presence shown but that will never happen in this day and age of govt cutbacks.

What I would like to see is 1 dfo officer surrounded by groups of voluntary wardens that have the authority to issue fines, that way there would be a a strong prescence of DFO representatives with each group having 1 DFO officer for backup or any heavy handedness needed, this could work with the existing number of officers currently but will never happen. DFO rarely does anything right. I have written my mla and sent my opinions to those at dfo and other groups involved but im just 1 voice....

See ya on the river

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 01:20:54 AM »

To answer NORM_2 question, I have only been out 3 times, only 1 of those i got my limited, I got skunked today after 5 hours of flossing.  I havent been going out a lot like last year since I know there hasnt been a lot been caught.  I will wait till they end all the native and commerical so I can actually catch some within 30 mins instead of 5 hours.  

I want to catch a 10lb sockeye like i see other people land,  The 2 i got were 5 lbers.  Each yr I usally catch 1 spring,  and it doesnt look good this yr as it is already middle of the month.  They better extend the season till 1st week of sept or I will mail my license back to then and ask for a refund,  ;D ;D  OR at least extend it till next yr,  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 01:53:19 AM »

Chances of a getting a refund are about the same as gas prices coming down ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Where are all the fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 08:04:48 AM »

The fish are coming.  Test catches in are 12 last week were consistantly high.  Numbers are starting to return as well in the Cottonwood and Whonnock tests.  Watch for them they're coming!  Notice that the reports have been very poor the last week when the test catched were poor, and now that the test catches are improving, so are the reports.  Coincidence?

Refund?  Give me a break!  Maybe they should weigh your catch on the way out of the river each time so everyone pays their fair share ::)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 08:26:20 AM »

:-[i have been out 3 times and no fish/ last year had lots. oh well thats the way it goes. and do keep us posted on this refund idea. lmao at this moment.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 09:35:16 AM »

Refund, are you kidding or what? You can't be serious?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 10:29:12 AM »

Read the thread "What does that mean".  I just got it ;D