Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talisman or Kingfisher  (Read 21291 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Talisman or Kingfisher
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »

ok ok well there always seems to be older versions of everything thats out there nowadays. I myself fish a Silex thats older then i am  ;D have it matched with a 3113MB Sage. I like having a setup thats got some age and character to it. Will give me even better pleasure when the setup is still working when i had it down to my son  ;D ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

n8

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »

yo Hook, I think we should "hook" up on the river sometime lol.. as I see we both have the same taste in nice gear... My dad's Silex and 3113MB are older than me too  ;D and I hope to hand them along with my Talisman down to my kids someday as well.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »

Berry's has two Talisman's right now. Looking at $800 plus tax though. Worth every penny IMO. I had one in my hand, then changed my mind. Didn't want to dole that much out, so I went and bought an Islander :D :D........ I;m sooooooooooo cheap  ;D ;D

Fish Slayer

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »

What's so cheap about and Islander? I have an Islander as well and even though I barely use it, it was enjoyable to use when I did. If you paid full price for an Islander, you would have been better off buying a second hand Kingfisher. Most people thinking of buying or getting into centerpins over look that and think that fact. People think new right away but if you know what to look for in terms of wear and tear of a reel, there have been some great deals on centerpins on-line. 

Best pin to get for cheap would be an islander from back east used, it will more than likely have the upgraded bearings and only be like $250.

slurpie

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »

Love my kingfishers and fish them all the time over my silex.  Good thing about the kingfisher over the talisman is that if you have a backlash, it can be more easily fixed because it is not a cage reel.  Simply pull line out the side until clear and reel back in.  Cage reels require a little more work.  I understand the idea is not to have backlashes, but it happens to everyone from time to time. 

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »

Ever look into a Kingpin reels? They real nice Centerpin reel too.

Silex-user.

Justin

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »

I just picked up a Kingfisher bushing reel I will give you an update later during Steel season  :).  I have an Islander as well and I really like this reel.  if its your first pin the islander is a great reel and its cheaper.

Justin

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 12:40:52 AM »

what the hell is a backlash  ;) LOL I havent had one since i started fishing my Silex, had a few with my original pin reel but only when i was learning. Oh and backlashes due to hooking something behind you dont count  >:(
Check out our new blog

slurpie

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »

How about the backlash when hooking the guy who squeezes too tight next to you as you side cast? ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »

How about the backlash when hooking the guy who squeezes too tight next to you as you side cast? ;)

Hey Slurpie,that is your own dam fault to let them stand too tight next to you :D ;)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »

What's so cheap about and Islander? I have an Islander as well and even though I barely use it, it was enjoyable to use when I did. If you paid full price for an Islander, you would have been better off buying a second hand Kingfisher. Most people thinking of buying or getting into centerpins over look that and think that fact. People think new right away but if you know what to look for in terms of wear and tear of a reel, there have been some great deals on centerpins on-line. 

I got a deal of a lifetime on it { Islander Gold IS }, sorry I can't elaborate  ;D .don't get me wrong, their good reels, but IMO, the milners are way better.I f I had to pay full price on a new Islander i wouldn't, I'd buy the Milner in a heartbeat.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »

if you can cast with a tree directly beside you then why not a person ? ever try casting your pin at Cement slab on the rocky side but trying to reach the other side of the river ? The more you fish the easier it gets and you will learn a big arsenal of casts for different situations. I have personally been trying to perfect the sling shot cast but i think my reel needs to be "worked in" more to do it right  :-\

Ntjipta - when do you normally go fishing ? I fish duing the week when i work afternoons but usually hit the water most weekends as well
Check out our new blog

slurpie

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »

John Milner must be loving this thread.... :D 

Has anyone used his Snipe reel?

Are you talking about the Wallis Cast?  I've been trying to perfect it myself with mixed results.  I usually use it when there is little to no back cast or side cast room.  It seems easier to do with a cage reel.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »

no im not talking about the Wallis cast, i havent even bothered to try that one because i dont fish super light stuff with my pin so there is no need to learn it. Im talking about when you hold your weight and pull the rod tip very hard towards your side which pre-loads the rod, then you let go at the same time you swing the rod out to make your cast. the timing is the tricky part im finding, well that and getting good distance. this is used mainly for when there is trees over your head or stuff just to damn close to cast normally
Check out our new blog

azafai

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »

I got a deal of a lifetime on it { Islander Gold IS }, sorry I can't elaborate  ;D .don't get me wrong, their good reels, but IMO, the milners are way better.I f I had to pay full price on a new Islander i wouldn't, I'd buy the Milner in a heartbeat.

I am interested and thinking of buying a Islander Steelheader
what is making it not so much wroth of its full retail price?  what are their weak points compared to Milners which is way too expensive?

thanks.