Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident  (Read 21225 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

Now that you mentioned it, I did see a small pickup truck drive down under the bridge on my way to work at around that time. On my way back I stopped to check the aftermath and there was a pile of melted bottles left behind.
The Bigger The Better!

losos

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »

If you run in the the back of someone it's always your fault .  You are either tailgating or distracted or both. Most people who drive today tailgate. There have been lots of accidents on the bridge and they'll be a lot more.

I call bull on you assumption. Is it your fault when someone cuts you off and then slams on the brake ?

losos

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »

I think I heard that Rodney and Chris were smoking salmon under the bridge when Chris knocked over the bacon fat and caused the flare up...now this is only rumor to this point according to Rodney....

Was it salmon or something else ? Anyway now it can't be proved

fisherforever

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »

Just throwing this out there - have the persons who had the fire going been positively identified as being anglers? Could have been just some "party goers" after an all nighter, whoever it was they did not stick around. Could very well see dyke access limited just like the Abbotsford side. Abby closed theirs due to motorbikes, quads and 4X4's driving up and down the sides of the dyke therefore weakening them, also the garbage, stolen vehicles and parties.

Suther

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »

I call bull on you assumption. Is it your fault when someone cuts you off and then slams on the brake ?

Unless you can show some sort of evidence that you were cut off and they slammed on the brakes, you are going to be at fault.

With any accidents involving a rear-ending, the back vehicle is always at fault unless they can prove otherwise. I have both been on the receiving end of a rear-ender, and done the rear-ending myself. If your really lucky, Cops will show up and give you a ticket for following too close too...

There was 17 vehicles involved in the accident, but I doubt you can blame ALL of them for distracted driving - its entirely possible to be rear-ended and pushed into the vehicle infront of you, leaving people stuck in the middle of that mess without ever doing anything wrong...Although if the reports are true that someone STOPPED on the bridge deck, they should be castrated and have their license revoked.

firebird

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »

On my drives out to the Valley on Hwy 1, I use a 2 second rule as I was taught 50 yrs ago ... counting 1, 1000, 2, 1000. I often have drivers pull into the space ahead of me, usually immediately in front of me  >:(. I simply slow down until I regain the safe distance. Of course, the next car behind me doesn't like it so they whip around immediately in front of me too. This goes on and on until traffic thins out around 264. Most of the time I find it hilarious. If I'm in a bad mood, the cutoffs bother me a little bit. I was also taught that when you're passing someone, wait until you can see their vehicle in the rear view mirror before moving back to the right lane. I wish people would abide. It's particularly astonishing when someone feels the need to move immediately in front of you when there is nobody behind them.

sbc hris

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »

Good driving advice Firebird. I use those same rules and they are great (except for the people always cutting in between you and the next car) >:(

robbyvanz

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »

As Tom Cruise says in Days of Thunder when driving through smoke, "Put the pedal down and hope for the best".   8)  I am guessing the car that came to a complete stop on the bridge thought the bridge was out or needed a new rear bumper.

robbyvanz

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »

My father had an accident like this.  ICBC deemed him 100% at fault because there were no witnesses to the accident.  If this ever happens to you, stop and get any witnesses asap.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »

On my drives out to the Valley on Hwy 1, I use a 2 second rule as I was taught 50 yrs ago ... counting 1, 1000, 2, 1000. I often have drivers pull into the space ahead of me, usually immediately in front of me  >:(. I simply slow down until I regain the safe distance. Of course, the next car behind me doesn't like it so they whip around immediately in front of me too. This goes on and on until traffic thins out around 264. Most of the time I find it hilarious. If I'm in a bad mood, the cutoffs bother me a little bit. I was also taught that when you're passing someone, wait until you can see their vehicle in the rear view mirror before moving back to the right lane. I wish people would abide. It's particularly astonishing when someone feels the need to move immediately in front of you when there is nobody behind them.

That's how I was taught as well.

Min

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »

Pretty much describes my driving pattern, most of the time!!

I do find it hilarious that drivers will pull out, pass, pull back in, and, slow down!  WTH???

firebird

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

I do find it hilarious that drivers will pull out, pass, pull back in, and, slow down!  WTH???

I think it has something to do with them wanting to be in front and nothing to do with how fast the traffic is going. Once while out for a very early morning walk I watched a car make a right turn in front of an oncoming vehicle and made that vehicle brake hard. There wasn't another vehicle in sight. I assumed the right turner just had to get out there ahead of the other guy  ::)

Min

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

In that case, it is not necessarily a problem with "driving habits"

It is a problem with the person and their thought patterns/outlook.

losos

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »

Unless you can show some sort of evidence that you were cut off and they slammed on the brakes, you are going to be at fault.

With any accidents involving a rear-ending, the back vehicle is always at fault unless they can prove otherwise. I have both been on the receiving end of a rear-ender, and done the rear-ending myself. If your really lucky, Cops will show up and give you a ticket for following too close too...

There was 17 vehicles involved in the accident, but I doubt you can blame ALL of them for distracted driving - its entirely possible to be rear-ended and pushed into the vehicle infront of you, leaving people stuck in the middle of that mess without ever doing anything wrong...Although if the reports are true that someone STOPPED on the bridge deck, they should be castrated and have their license revoked.

Actually there are cases where following scheme is used to extort money from an insurer.
There are 2 or 3 vehicles cruising on the highway ,one gets in front of unsuspecting driver ,second behind and third on the side .
First driver slams on the brakes hard and takes of , second rearends victim  and third is a witness that the victim used brakes with no reason.  The guy that rear ended makes injury claims and gets the money.

Suther

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »

Actually there are cases where following scheme is used to extort money from an insurer.
There are 2 or 3 vehicles cruising on the highway ,one gets in front of unsuspecting driver ,second behind and third on the side .
First driver slams on the brakes hard and takes of , second rearends victim  and third is a witness that the victim used brakes with no reason.  The guy that rear ended makes injury claims and gets the money.

And this is why most people in Russia now have dashboard cameras - Nobody trusts anybody, especially insurance companies and people trying to scam them. (Notice how all the footage of that meteor blowing up in the sky last year was taken from dash cams?)

Besides, that probably doesn't work nearly as often as you might think. Unless the person who got rear ended cut off the person that hit them, the car that hit them would be deemed as following too close, regardless of whether the person infront of them slammed on the brakes for no reason or not.