Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing AND swimming  (Read 20600 times)

thewilliamswall

fishing AND swimming
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »

Looking for a spot for the girls to swim and the guys to fish with float tubes. Prefer within 3-3.5hr drive from lower mainland, not provincial. The less crowded the better, the more remote the better, no 4x4, no amenities needed other than fire pit and lake.

Am I asking for too much?

Also, whats the best way to see if a lake is swimmable (no leeches, no swimmers itch)??? We went to Calling/Big Ok lakes last year and they are perfect except not sure if you can swim there and "google" doesn't wanna help.

Thanks for any tips.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: fishing AND swimming
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »

You are indeed asking for much if you want a lake within 3.5 hour of lower mainland with no 4x4 that is good for fishing AND swimming but is not too crowded.  Weaver has both but is often busy as is Silver Lake (Provincial).  Most lakes in BC are "swimmable" and the presence of leeches does not mean you cannot swim.  Leeches move quite slowly, so as long as you keep moving in the water, you are fine.  If one gets on you, just pull it off.  I swam in Roche as a child when I was not fishing, and I never had any problem with the leeches.
Not all those who wander are lost

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »

Leeches were used to cure people in the old times

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

Remote but no 4x4? Thats hilarious!!!!!!

You will NEVER find such a place with what you have.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

thewilliamswall

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

Sandman- thanks. I realize Im asking a lot that's why I came here looking for help! With a newborn my camping trips are limited this year and Im trying to to kill 2 birds with one stone.

adriaticum- Try telling that to the girls.

bronswyk- Not every remote lake needs 4x4. This is BC and there are tons of well maintained logging roads and gravel roads. I am more concerned about swimming than getting there. I just don't want to promise a weekend of swimming and then get there and the lake is gross.

Robert_G

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »

What you are asking is not completely hopeless.
Years ago on the August long weekend, 8 of us with 4 1year old kids wanted a remote spot with absolutely no one around.
We drove up Harrison East and hiked down an embankment to a spot along Big Silver Creek that you couldn't see from the road. Huge sandy beach, great fishing spots and lots of swimming for the women. Not a float tube place, but nonetheless.....it worked out, and even though you could faintly hear some traffic on the road above....not one person came down to our spot in 3 days. Completely private and just over an hour from home.

A little research and work, and you can easily find what you're looking for.

thewilliamswall

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

Just to clarify- we aren't looking for a lake to ourselves, just a little elbow room... I.e not harrison, cultus, jones, tunkwa, roche, etc.

There's gotta be some near Merritt/Kamloops that are swimable and have no boats or limited horsepower...

Not provincial cuz we have a fire no matter what and like to be loud.

Thanks again.

Fillibert

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »

To expand on the post, what are the rules for tenting in BC, do you need a licence, is it illegal anywhere?

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »

Not provincial cuz we have a fire no matter what

Provincial Parks mean nothing in regards to having a fire or not. If there is a campfire ban in the given region, then you cannot have a fire regardless of where you go.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you. So, ya, probably asking a bit much ;) :P
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »

Save yourself travel time/gas.  Hit Birch Bay to camp, swim in the ocean, get the guys that want to tube to hit a local lake.

Fillibert

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »

Just noticed Google Maps got updated, new 2013 maps... exploring time  ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »

I will be nice LOL

If I were you I would pick somewhere from Go Fish BC ( their website ). You can search their database and it will tell you if it is 4x4 accessible or not. Pick a lake that you have never heard of before. It will give you more of a chance that not many talk about it making your chances at being remote greater. Any lakes that get mentioned time and time again are going to be very busy especially during the summer. As the weather gets better it gets harder and harder to find what your looking for. Even for us guys with a 4x4

Good luck

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »

i once went to Wolf Lake near harrison,
easy to get to, had the lake to our selves, swimming was amazing since the water was hot spring warmed.

i didn't fish it but google brought this up:
http://www.sharphooks.com/tripplanner.aspx?subpage=lakeinfo&lake=wolf+lakes&lakeid=93

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

Weaver lake