Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bear spotted on the Vedder Sept 4  (Read 20833 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Bear spotted on the Vedder Sept 4
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »

An old saying for bears:
If it's black fight back
If it's brown lay down
If it's white say good night

Have to agree with everyday on this one. Any kind of noise will do but animals in the wild don't stumble around snapping twigs and branches
(rutting ungulates a diff story) and that would be enough to alert a blackie. I wear a necklace with tweezers and a nail knot tool dangling and clanging away plus the twigs when Im feeling sketchy.

I actually just heard a story of a fella up north, when walking to the river, straight up whistles, and yells HEEEEEEEEEERE BEARS! Which, at first glance seems like WTF ARE YOU DOING MAN, but then you remember bears dont speak English, so announcing your presence like that is actually kind of funny. Also, Ive tried it, and you feel a lot less stupid than walking around making weird noises :P
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

farky

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 05:50:37 AM »

I always like to use the buddy system when fishing the heavily wooded areas. It may not stop an attack but at least it might decrease the chances a little.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »

I always take a slow fat guy fishing with me, this way the bear eats him, not me.

Best bear defense going IMO. ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

Maybe befriend the bear so he can show u his secret spots and be your fishing buddy and protect u from cougars. He'll have up to date river conditions too.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

A couple years ago I was walking down to the Vedder and made a wrong turn on the trail and ended up in the heavy stuff. I could hear the river close by so I just beelined it straight through the bushes and came crashing out into the clear behind three guys that had stopped fishing to see what was coming out.

They stared at me for a few seconds then started laughing as they thought I might have been a bear, and they were getting ready to get the heck out of there.

Personally I’ve never seen a bear on the Vedder though I have seen a few on the Squamish.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

Does anybody know if or when the last time anyone was attacked on the Vedder by a bear?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Prison run definitely has a resident bear. First time out i came across fresh droppings second time out i found the trail the bear had made to get to a berry bush.
[

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »

Try fishing the lower Nitinat when the salmon are in.  Bears to the left, bears to the right.  Four in sight at one time is not uncommon.  Mostly the bears and people are wary of each other but don't panic.  A bear closer than about 10 yards is cause to take action.

A buddy was working a fish into the shallows when a bear rushed past him from behind, grabbed the fish and took off up river.  This was watched by several people who split a gut laughing at his surprise.

On a serious note,  I have had some bears get just too pushy and had to use a bear banger but over there they have heard the bangers so often they don't go far.   Woof and around a bush to return in about 20 seconds.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »

Much respect for the bears.  They are big, strong, fast, and know how to kill.  Cute also.

Zanna

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »

I always take a slow fat guy fishing with me, this way the bear eats him, not me.

LMAO

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

Last fall while fishing one of the rivers I had a bear walk right behind me like I was not even there. He was with in 10 feet and when he realized I was there he took off running, definatly a close encounter.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

1son

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

LOL that cracked me up  ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

Not to take away from this thread but there have been some bear maulings up in the North country. The latest reported incident was at the Morice River just outside of Houston, B.C..

http://www.250news.com/blog/view/25791/1/grizzly+attack+near+houston

In those areas you really, really have to be bear aware. Picked this reported attack off of Speypages, and in some of the replies fisherman who frequent these areas not only carry bear spray but are armed and ready.
Quite a difference in how you plan your fishing trips when going to the remote areas of this province.

t-bone

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »

whats worse, an encounter with a bear or watching those hacks ripping through pools snagging fish???

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »

Fishing with the Nitinat bears:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:31:21 PM by VAGAbond »