Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summer Lake Fish-In  (Read 20992 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Summer Lake Fish-In
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »

So I am thinking Mid June for this FWR Lake Fish-In.

Possible Lakes that I would like to see us fish are:

Island Lake
Calling Lake
Glimpse Lake
Davis Lake ( Kane Valley Road )
Tunkwa Lake
Leighton Lake
Roche ( from IH8XC )

Some lakes like Island Lake are fly only. If this is a problem we could camp at Calling ( just has a bait ban not fly only ) which is only 10mins down the road and if you want to do a day trip to Island thats cool too.

All these lakes are within 4 hours of Vancouver. If you have any other lakes you want added please post them. Once we get a good list of lakes we can put it to a vote.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:05:09 PM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Summer Lake Fish-In
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

Sounds good. There are many lakes in the merrit area within the 15-20min radius. Buck, vincent ..ect  Here is a pic of one I got last  from  buck nice 4-5lber.

weeeeeeeeeow!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm limited on my knowledge of lakes up there, but hope to change that this year..I've fished Tunkwa and it's a blast PLUS they have cabins..which when it gets cold at night is where i'm parking my prune a$$... ;D

What about the skagit and ross lake???

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

I would probably be in for this trip. I like Ross lake because there is also the option of fishing the river. But i still like the idea of an "interior" lake. I prefer leighton over tunkwa not that it makes a huge difference. Why not roche?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »

Ross Lake is closer to Lower Mainland as is Jones Lake, neither have cabins for rent as far as I know. XGolfman is right about the cold weather in the Highland Valley.

Tunkwa/Leighton Lakes have better access and camping facilities than Island Lake but Island lake has better fishing IMO.

Cheers

Nuggy

Island's fish average 4lbs and the biggest I have caught is 8 or 9lbs. Not always the easiest to catch but have never been skunked. In mid-June we wont have a problem with cold weather up there. The only thins is its not the wisest choice to go in with a car although I have seen cars get into it. Having a base camp at Calling would be better since there is a big open area for camping and more accommodating. Also Davis lake in the Kane Valley has lots of camping and has 3 other lakes all within 15 mins. Kane Valley is only 2.5-3hours away and is 2wd accessible.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »

I might definately be in for something like this as well, keeping in mind that I suck at Fly Fishing!!  I have done it once in about the last 17 years!! ;D ;D  But, for some reason I am getting the urge to do some.  You guys just figure out where, preferbly where there are plenty in the 3-5 pound range to be caught, tell me what I would need and I'll see if I can get it!!  But count me in as a definate maybe!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »

I do know that Searun has really enjoyed going to Roche lake about that time, maybe a bit earlier.  There are cabins, a lodge and a big campground there. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Hook Set

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

Sounds good, if I'm free when its on I'm in

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 05:47:40 PM »

Im in to. but dont really fly fish, ive only done it in tofino just trolling the fly.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:54:39 PM »

I would be in depending on when it is and if I'm in town. One thing that I will mention about the timing is that there is the St. Marys fish in at the end of the month so I would recomend either early june or late may.
Actions speak louder than words.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »

I am a maybe as my wife might be working. I can't wait to get the pontoon back in the water  ;D ;D ;D  and to try out some of the flies that I have been tying over the last couple of weeks. I would be in for Roche or Tunkwa ( I have fished Tunkwa and it still gets cold at night in the summer)

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Pat AV

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »

I will hopefully be in depending on where I am working at the time.

I like the Roche and Kane Valley ideas or maybe even the kump lake area between princeton and merritt. I think mid to late may timing would be better fishing wise but definetly not weather wise.

I must admit that I hate tunkwa and am not a huge fan of island either.

This is a long way away for me though I am still working on breaking my winter steelhead slump......
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

I think either Kane Valley or the Buck lake area would be a good place to start out. I think we should start out somewhere a little less intimidating than Roche....for BigSteels sake of course  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »

I would love to go if i can get away from my baseball commitment, i think first or second week of June would be good ,Roche would be my choice its got the lodge with rentals for those that need it there are also some good forestry campsites right on the lake and good 2 wheel road access.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:27 PM »

The Kane Valley lakes are 2wd access and are only 3 hours away.

Belong to the "4 F Club"