Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Norwegian Virus In Supermarket Farm Salmon  (Read 23941 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: New Norwegian Virus In Supermarket Farm Salmon
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

We will never really know because Morton never took the time to do a proper study as I alluded to already. 

No, as I alluded to already, she was never given the time "to do a proper study".  As I said, I do not blame the farmers for not wanting her to test their fish. Just stop saying she could have done a proper study but chose not to.  That is just not true.  Whatever their reasons, the farmers refuse to allow her to test their salmon (even if she were to take it to a reputable lab for independent analysis).  So stop with the ad hominem attacks on her character trying to make it sound like she had an opportunity to test the farm salmon directly.
Not all those who wander are lost

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »

Maybe they will give their names along with the degrees they have and where they are or were employed. Grin Grin Grin

And this will make you consider their views???

I suspect that a conspiracy theory will effect your judgement.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »

Undersized?  If these fish had this deadly disease they should have been dead long before they reached this size. 

From what I have read, while morbidity is high in infected cages, mortality is around 20%, which means 80% could survive to grow larger (although they may remain "undersized")
http://www.virologyj.com/content/7/1/309
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

And this will make you consider their views???

I suspect that a conspiracy theory will effect your judgement.
I consider everyones views but I have yet to be convinced that we are not treading in dangerous waters.

Not enough transparency from some governments and this makes one wonder what is going to happen to our environment in a number of fronts in the years ahead.

Oliver defends limiting access to resource reviews
  By Peter O'Neil, Postmedia News April 19, 2012   Environmental groups that don't have particular expertise to offer, and ordinary citizens concerned about projects like the Northern Gateway oilsands pipeline but who don't live or work near the project, shouldn't be able to participate in environmental review hearings, Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said Wednesday.

Oliver was defending his government's plan unveiled a day earlier to "strengthen environmental protection" by limiting participation only to members of the public who are "directly affected" by major projects.

"We don't see the need" to allow testimony from Canadians outside the project areas, or from environmental groups without specific expertise, Oliver said in an interview.

Oliver also defended the government's announcement Tuesday that it will let the federal cabinet overrule the Calgary-based National Energy Board, a quasi-independent agency created by John Diefenbaker in 1959, on major projects considered to be in the "national interest" by Ottawa. "The rationale is that for large projects that can have a national or regional impact of significance, both environment and economic, we believe the ultimate decision should be in the hands of elected officials and not appointed officials because ultimately through Parliament elected officials are responsible to the people."

Neither initiative was mentioned in Oliver's speech and his news release Tuesday, though they were cited in publicly-available background documents. Oliver said Wednesday his government wasn't trying to hide its plan to clip the NEB's wings as the final authority on major projects.

"Look, the whole legislative package is a complicated one and we wanted to emphasize the job creation aspect of it. We didn't highlight [the cabinet override] but we certainly didn't hide it."

The joint NEB-Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency process that began in January has involved testimony primarily from aboriginal Canadians in B.C. and Alberta living near Enbridge Inc.'s proposed pipeline route from the Edmonton area to Kitimat on the West Coast.

However, the NEB has also heard from groups like the T. Buck Suzuki Environmental Foundation and the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union.

And during a four-month period starting in November the NEB had scheduled hearings for registered participants from cities outside the project area, including Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna and Port Hardy.

Green party leader Elizabeth May said the environmental assessment agency's "cornerstone" is public participation, yet the government's efforts are intended to limit that input.

"Many projects with significant environmental impacts may be located in remote locations," May said.

"Canadians are entitled to be concerned about fragile ecosystems in the Arctic or significant new sources of new pollution, even if they do not live in the immediate vicinity. "Imagine if the government of Brazil said people living in Rio de Janeiro had no business expressing concern about the destruction of the Amazon. This provision will make Canada a global laughing stock."

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/Oliver+defends+limiting+access+resource+reviews/6483990/story.html#ixzz1sXMja2lT

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »

How would you feel if the government was the only one that could provide input into the environmental approval of the Enbridge pipeline and "activists" were muzzled.

Isn't that exactly what is happening?

Budget has increased funds for auditing charitable groups.....

Budget has decreased funding for environmental monitoring.......

DFO research funds and staff reduced.......

Review process abreviated.............

Shortened time line applied retroactively for reviews.......

Enbridge hearings canceled in Bella Bella.........

Good thing you agree with the pending approval......................................Right?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »

More bad news on the Global evening news tonight for FF that Bassonator mentioned on another thread. Will find the link later for those that may want to see the bad news. :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »

Global tonight, looking forward to the responses from the Pro guys, I know they will pick it apart. :o ::) ;D

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/another+fish+farm+fight/video.html?v=2225255779&p=1&s=dd#video

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »

Global tonight, looking forward to the responses from the Pro guys, I know they will pick it apart. :o ::) ;D

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/another+fish+farm+fight/video.html?v=2225255779&p=1&s=dd#video

Yup, it's always good to hear the opinions of folks that have their pro-feedlot blinders on......  ???      can't wait.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »

Yup, it's always good to hear the opinions of folks that have their pro-feedlot blinders on......  ???      can't wait.
Yes they should be typing now. ;D ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »

Typical Morton Style.  Her work is done on this one.  Like the IASe in BC waters claim she made, she will not have to answer to anyone when the truth or doubt comes about the general public. By then its not worthy of news anymore.  All she has to do is make the news and thats the end of her work on any project regardless of fact.  Hardly science if you ask me.

None of the anti's seem to want to answer my question:  So what did happen with that ISAe thing?   

Again I will ask this question:  The fact is that some of the supporters here are accomplished fish biologists that have worked in other (salmon)fields entirely and for many years.  Those individuals seem to bring the most to this forum when it comes to information about salmon management.  So why would they support salmon farming in BC?  Why?  How could this be? 

Chris was nice enough to hint at a conspiracy theory.  Do you have any other ideas campaigners?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »

Typical Morton Style.  Her work is done on this one.  Like the IASe in BC waters claim she made, she will not have to answer to anyone when the truth or doubt comes about the general public. By then its not worthy of news anymore.  All she has to do is make the news and thats the end of her work on any project regardless of fact.  Hardly science if you ask me.

None of the anti's seem to want to answer my question:  So what did happen with that ISAe thing?   

Again I will ask this question:  The fact is that some of the supporters here are accomplished fish biologists that have worked in other (salmon)fields entirely and for many years.  Those individuals seem to bring the most to this forum when it comes to information about salmon management.  So why would they support salmon farming in BC?  Why?  How could this be? 

Chris was nice enough to hint at a conspiracy theory.  Do you have any other ideas campaigners?

Glad you came in before I went to bed, will sleep well tonight now. ;D ;D
Looking forward to the others to wade into the murky waters by morning. ::) ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »

Either their hearts not in it or they can't muscle up a retort.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

This is starting to remind me of that old Beatles song “Happiness is a Warm Gun” … another disease found, good news for the anti salmon farmers  :D
Routledge covered his a$$ several times with the words ‘possible and potentially’

Here’s another – he could “potentially’ look even worse on this than the last time he backed Morton.  Time will tell.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:49 AM »

This is starting to remind me of that old Beatles song “Happiness is a Warm Gun” … another disease found, good news for the anti salmon farmers  :D
Routledge covered his *** several times with the words ‘possible and potentially’

Here’s another – he could “potentially’ look even worse on this than the last time he backed Morton.  Time will tell.

Yes time will indeed tell, I hope it will not be too late as it has been on many environmental issues in the past when money and profit comes before looking after our environment, including our wild fish stocks.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

It seems Routledge is looking for the attention rather than the attention looking for Routledge. The Public Relations Department at SFU announced on April 18th that he was available to comment. Apparently Global took him up on it. I wonder if they will interview anyone who is an expert in fish diseases?

http://www.sfu.ca/pamr/issues-experts/2012/bc-fish-controversy-intensifies.html