Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needless slaughter on the stave.  (Read 21761 times)

243Pete

Re: Needless slaughter on the stave.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »

Where abouts on the Stave was this done? I've heard of stuff like this happening on the West side of the river near the dam in the past but not on such a large scale.

I like Reibers idea, but carrying that many stinky old rotting chums up sounds like a smelly mess. :o
Better solution would be taking photos and even video of them doing such action, calling the RCMP/ CO's and giving them the evidence. Since most likely these idiots will make their presense again on the river.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Bait ban?? Dude stick to your spinners and your girlfriend and keep your opinions on others choice of fishing to yourself

was that really needed? in case you need a reminder this is a discussion form.

i hate to say it but if the only way cupcakes is gonna change is if people start calling out what they see. everyone needs to be vigilant. who cares if the person your confronting gets all pissy. maybe they will stop and think as to why people are giving them a hard time.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

I have seen it many times by jet boats on the middle arms (away from prying eyes).
Snag some chum, rip the roe, then go sturgeon fishing.
Call RAPP.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:11 AM »

Last fall I found two garbage bags on Burke mountain with about 20 rotting chum carcasses inside. Most likely all poached from the Coquitlam river... :-[
Yep. A major problem on that flow for sure. I have personally called the RAPP LINE for 3 separate incidents, one was under the KW train bridge where 3 guys were ripping and gutting doe chums in mud water on a sunday morning!
Just call in, give all the details and leave the rest to the authorities. No point of a verbal exchange with these idiots IMO.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »

I love chum caviar, but man, this is disgusting. If you are certain they are Russians, don't engage them.
Not because they are Russian, but because of the type of people they are.
They play by different rules until they land in the hands of Canadian law enforcement. Then they learn a few lessons.
O.R.R. is the best way to go.

Rieber, the stinky chum scenario won't deter them. They will find you and do to you what they do to the chum.
People like that often come from an environment of lawlessness. They think they are above the law until they aren't any more.

Not worth it, really.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »

I never even guessed there to be Chum roe poachers. I remember seeing this add and now wonder if this is related? https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/for/d/fresh-pink-roe/6320615053.html

So sickening and sad.

Robert_G

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »

...delete post please.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:28:19 PM by Robert_G »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »

It's a nice absolute killing field out there right now for dirty chum. Some creeks r dry and chum are sitting in pools by  the thousands.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »

The CO's said they were going to be patrolling the river today and were in a pretty big uproar on what I described. Havnt been out too check if their words were true though. And it wasn't Russians but if it were I'd say to stay away and call the authorities for sure. Been there done that. Roe ban is not the answer the answer is an actual test to get a fishing licence and then more officers....in my opinion. Ill be out and about this weekend trying to keep an eye on people.

TimL

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

The CO's said they were going to be patrolling the river today and were in a pretty big uproar on what I described. Havnt been out too check if their words were true though. And it wasn't Russians but if it were I'd say to stay away and call the authorities for sure. Been there done that. Roe ban is not the answer the answer is an actual test to get a fishing licence and then more officers....in my opinion. Ill be out and about this weekend trying to keep an eye on people.
We did see the dfo copter this morning while we were fishing. River was a gong show for sure and I can't imagine what the long weekend's gonna be like there. Time to go bar fishing!

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »

Big Block fox, yes that was totally needed, whenever you think your choices are better than others etc I believe it's time to call BS and remind them a tackle box choice is off limits.  When salmon start swimming downstream after spawning I'll change my opinion

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »

I think we need bait bans on many streams including some hatchery streams. These could be seasonal. Why? reduce harm to trout, particularly cutthroat and parr/smolt steelhead.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »

Ralph, sports fisherman have such little impact on stocks that dividing us further over legal choices on fishing seems totally absurd, scientists have figured this out long ago and lobbyist have done this part already

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »

Ralph, sports fisherman have such little impact on stocks that dividing us further over legal choices on fishing seems totally absurd, scientists have figured this out long ago and lobbyist have done this part already

Sports anglers can have major impacts on low population non-commercial stocks such as cutthroat and other resident trout and char species. Your view is a very blinkered view that only species you target matter.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »

Anyone get a contact number? I could really use a good line on some cheap roe  ;D

Just got back from army navy, they want 9.99 for a 1/2 pound of mushy old salted roe  :o Their frozen boraxed stuff is 15-17 a pound... I thought barrys was robbing folks at 12.50 pound but it looks like they are the best deal in town!